February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Democrats split by education and age

(CNN) - Beyond race and gender, national exit polls tonight are showing Democrats a varying divisions based on education and age. The more educated the voter, the more likely he or she is an Obama supporter. Conversely, the older the voter, the more likely he or she supports Clinton.

Democrats with a college degree prefer Obama, 51 percent to 41 percent. Democrats without a college degree go for Clinton 52 percent to 43 percent.

When it comes to age, Obama beats Clinton roughly 60 percent to 40 percent among voters ages 17-39. The two essentially split among voters 50-59. But Clinton is easily carrying voters over 60, 56 percent to 38 percent.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. John

Lin Cruiz
    You seem offended.I think this is a sort of statistics.According to the report If some one voted for hillary,he is likely to be uneducated.But that doesnt mean all voting for hillary are uneducated.

February 5, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  2. couple in US

this is not true at all!
    We (my husband, me) are highly educated, not old – and we do vote for Hillary!

February 5, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. sophie, nyc

Count me as another intelligent, educated voter for Obama!!

February 5, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  4. tim

For all the people boasting about their education and taking offense to this need to calm down. It's just reporting stats, it's not an op-ed accusing people personally. We're all very impressed by your degrees that you've earned just please stop acting like children.

February 5, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  5. Livia

How arrogant statement! SO, the ones who vote for Hillary are stupid to you? How arrogant you are!

February 5, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. Maddie. WI

Excuse me? CNN. Over 50 people around me , all of us finished college. at least half of us with phd degree. Most of us vote for Hillary, most of us think Obama is great. But. All of us believe CNN is the worst media at this primary time. Worse than MSNBC, worse than CNBC, worse then Fox!! You know why? Because it is so obvious that CNN is strongly biased towards Obama over Hillary. We are highly educated people and we use our brains to choose president , NOT endorsements, NOT biased reports, we need to know the facts about the candidates and how will they change our country.

February 5, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  7. john

No mention where they did the poll or the 20% margin of error. like Obama leading NH poll .....how did that pan out.

February 5, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. daphne

BSc voting for OBAMA!!! its time for change!!

February 5, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. DT

Did you all ignore the key statement "the more likely" . I guess statistics isn't your forte.

February 5, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  10. Forrest Gump

Just proves to me that you can be well educated and still be really stupid enough to vote for any of the Globalist trash running for president.

February 5, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  11. S River

not sure its factually correct, but ive always had a feeling that the young and smart were obamas and clinton got the rest. i also think that attractive people in general vote for obama and those that maybe are a little on the "plain" side like clinton. just my opinion.

February 5, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  12. Alex, WI

The poll states that of "ALL people with a college degree" 51% prefer Obama and 41% prefer Clinton. It does not state if you have a college degree that you prefer Obama. And it does not state that if you prefer Clinton you are uneducated. The same applies to age. Obviously with all polls there is margin for error. No need to jump to conclusions over statements that are not including in these statistics.

February 5, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  13. Dick

It takes time, to turn book sense, into common sense. I really don't believe that you achieve anything, with an I-pod, on your ears, try watching and listening and reading the news. It's true, we old people never went to college,as you say. We did take what book sense, we got, and turned it into common sense and it shows.
    We know the problems, we've been there,done that, also we know the issues, as we are living most of them. You will too, one day, wait and see. So please don't sell your senior's short. We learned life isn't a 24 hour party. You have to work hard, It doesn't come easy, as you will learn. We have always wanted, a better life then ours, for our kids, and grandkids, We vote, with this notion, to do just that. We have been dupped many times,by our vote. You will be too. So know, what, or who you are voting for, don't go by hearsay, know the facts, even then, it's a gamble.

February 5, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  14. rachel

I am 32 have a BA and African American and when wisconsin's primary rolls around I will be voting for Hillary.

February 5, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  15. Gil - California

m chan, take her, with my blessing.

February 5, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. Avril

I'd just like to say this is a POLL..so It shouldn't really be affecting the way you decide to vote anyways unless you let it..I an see that a lot of you are upset by this poll..I have no idea why? They're just reporting 'trends' which some people (ie: political analysist's find useful) so don't take them to heart. Also, I agree that Hilary is a bit 'tactful' in her campaigning- her main 'theory' so to speak was used directly off what she percieved as Obama's 'weakness's'. Anyways, America its in your hands- why should I care? I live in canada! but its not lookin to good to me at the moment..best of luck with whatever happens. Somebody made a comment about the Bill Clinton era..that would be an irrational way to vote to say the least..

February 5, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  17. Ryan

IF Obama wins the presidency, I will be laughing at everyone who voted for "change" when no change comes to fruition.

Oh, UCLA B.A., J.D. under 30 voting for Hillary.

February 5, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  18. Fairfax, Virginia

Who gives a crap whose educated and uneducated.. we vote for honest, intelligent, trusting, (etc...) candidate....

I am trusting in Obama.. Hope he wins this..
    Obama 08! Ur the Best!

February 5, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  19. joy

BA, BS, MBA – Voting for Hillary!

February 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  20. Aren

I have no idea how you people twist the data in your favor. It is clear that the educated prefer Obama. Regardless of age, EDUCATION is objective. HAve you wondered where the kids get their education? FROM THE OLD EXPERIENCED EDUCATED TEACHERS. Most of the time, YOUNG PEOPLE are swayed by their TEACHERS. Educated people do not support Hillary because of her ideas. For example: HEALTHCARE For Everyone.
    If she succeeds
    -Will promote recession in america
    -Destroy incentives for people to get a job
    -Destroying Capitalistic beliefs for socialist ones

Healthcare is not a RIGHT. Healthcare is earned. If you want a higher chance to lose your job. I suggest you vote for Clintion. Obama's change is for the working family. WORKING is the key word.

Vote Obama

February 5, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  21. Joe Miller

Yes, it is even worse in California. According to exit polls, those without a HS diploma voted for Hillary by 80%

She also has a convincing edge over gays/lesbians/bisexuals.

You make the call.

February 6, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  22. Angela

Fired up, ready to go! 'm Asian, not a geek, over 60, post college degreed and I'm definitely voting for OBAMA! Yes, he can!!!

February 6, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  23. Burgher Jon

So at 25, I'll stop supporting Obama and the change he may mean for this country and start using sophisticated, enlightened terminology like, "Duh."

I'll bet what ever study said we're not sharp till we're 25, used a definition of sharp written by a 40 year old.

February 6, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |