February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Giuliani comes through for McCain

More than 50 percent of New York Republicans said Giuliani's endorsement of McCain was important.

(CNN) - John McCain appears to owe Rudy Giuliani a big thank you.

Our exit polls show the former New York City mayor's endorsement of McCain played a key factor in his win there. Over half of New York Republicans said Giuliani's endorsement was important, and those voters went to McCain over Romney 63 percent to 22 percent. (Romney beat McCain by 47 percent to 29 percent among those voters who said Giuliani's endorsement was not important.)

The exit polls also indicate McCain inherited Giuliani's key voting bloc - those who are chiefly concerned with terrorism. Roughly half those voters went to McCain while only a third went to Romney.

And there's another interesting finding out of New York: McCain beat Romney among conservatives there - bucking the trend seen nationally and in other states. Forty-six percent of conservatives chose McCain while 37 percent went for Romney.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider • John McCain • New York • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Tom Schultz

Will Romney see that he is finished?

February 5, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. steve addison

"a new york conservative"...does that exist?

February 5, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  3. Forrest Gump

The fear mongers and dogs of war have won again.

February 5, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. Republican

Welcome to the Liberal States of America people.

February 5, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. Colton Kerrigan

I do not think many republicans notice that MaCain is winning all the states along the Atlantic coast. As many of us know, those are usually democratic states. in the general election the republican nominee will not have a shot at winning new york, Delaware, Connecticut ect. Rommney country is in the west and that is coming up.

February 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Tom

Like I said, it doesn't speak well for New York. McCain and Guiliani = formula for stupid. What was wrong with that moderator??????? Oh, I did say something good about the Yankees and Giants. Sooooo moderator.........you a Patriot fan??? or a Guiliani one???

February 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. Jon

Go McCain!

You're my safety choice...
    ...after Obama, that is.

Stop Hillary in '08!

February 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. Kimble

I just can't see McCain as a Presidential figure. I am a republican that will vote Democrate if he is our Republican candidate. His views are not that far off from theirs and there is something to be said for the prestige of the office. I don't feel he can pull it off. I don't take his smugness seriously. I was dissatisfied with all of our choices this race. I am disenchanted.

February 5, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Dee

Guiliani and Hillary are as corrupt as the state they represent. If McCain owes Guiliani big time then what does that say for McCain?
    I just changed my party lines and will support a brave and genuine Democrat.

February 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Ed

Its starting to look like the Mayan calendar had it right.

February 5, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  11. Elliott

How about we get a new face in office?

Im tired of seeing old balding white men manning the ship.

why not something fresh?

February 5, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  12. Ed

If Huckabee doesnt admit that he's finished then why should Romney? California is still out there.

February 5, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  13. Jeff

Hillary and Rudy are the same person. Pure unadulterated ego and ambition. They condescend to the voters, lying in our faces, as if we were as stupid as their spouses. How dare these miserable lowlifes pretend to represent us. Oh, except, Rudy, in drag, is a more attractive woman than that biatch Hil.

February 5, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  14. Jezerie Blango

Running mates always come through.Rudy might be the next VP. Its a showdown McCain-Rudy vs. Clinton-Obama Nov 2008.

February 5, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. Josef

I was proud to back and help fund Sir Rudy's campaign. He has stared down evil many, many times and conducted himself most responsibly and bravely during & after 9/11.

Now, with the terrorists' war on us in hopefully the concluding phases – we need a leader who can give a knockout punch unlike President Bush. I doubt seriously Sen. Clinton has what it takes and at least Sen. Obama is transparent on his retreat n' defeat policies. Nothing against former Gov'r Romney but he hasn't seen war and former Gov'r Huckabee isn't serious by any means. It's Sen. McCain or support nominee Romney for me.

We have to win the war. Sadly, we Republicans (and America) cannot wait for Ronald Reagan II. So I vote victory – I vote John McCain.

Oh and note something else: When I didn't have a nice nickname, I used formal titles. Show a bit of respect, folks.

February 5, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  16. D Bowen

McCain and Guiliani are looking to be the next ticket, unless someone thinks Huckabee would work with McCain, I highly doubt Romney would ever take that step. But, this is a media influenced vote to get McCain on the ballot so the Democrats will win, it will force many republicans to jump ship from a McCain ticket, they will vote for Obama instead, and that is how the nation overcomes deciding whether or not to vote for a woman or a black, make the other party a no win choice. The press can't hide it's democratic bias!

February 5, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |