February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Immigration stance paying off for Romney in California

Romney's tough stance on immigration is apparently paying off.

Romney's tough stance on immigration is apparently paying off.

(CNN) - Immigration is a key issue for Republican voters in California – a fact that is benefiting Romney, and helping keep the race close there.

Illegal immigration and the economy are roughly tied as the most important issue for California Republicans. As has been the case in some other states, McCain is beating Romney among economy voters in California by 12 points, even though Romney has been emphasizing his business background and understanding of how the economy works.

But Romney has a clear lead among voters most worried about immigration – he's beating McCain by 34 points on the issue. Illegal immigration has proven to be less of an important issue in other states, and by extension less beneficial to Romney. Romney's tough stance on the issue seems to be paying off in California.

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Forrest Gump

Stop the Invasion now.

February 5, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. California Independent

I voted for Clinton in the primary, but I favor a Republican in the primary on this issue.

February 5, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  3. Jean Desrosiers

Hey, I'm sorry but in the race between gender vs race, gender has the lead. If you other Dems out there think Obama has a chance to win the Presidency, I have bad news for you. Vote Hilary if you want the Dems in power for the next term. Otherwise, be prepared to live with McCain.

Plus, all Hilary's states are bigger if you take the time to count the population. She's got it made, face it!

February 5, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. Mary

There is a controversy brewing in California for the independent voters and the ones who declined to declare (their party). There was a small bubble that none of the pollsters told people that they had to check. Many absentee voters have complained about the same thing.

Obama may need to call for a recount. There were many independents who wanted to vote for him.

I'm suprised that CNN hasn't mentioned anything about it.

February 5, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  5. Andrea

Although I am a Republican voting for Romney...I would vote for Hillary if McCain beats out Romney. I will not hand over this country to a whining old man.

February 5, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. Me

face it?....Hillary is a great candidate, i dont think she needs you to discourage people in order for her to win.

February 5, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. David in Kansas City

Forrest: That's exactly what my Irish Catholic grandparents heard from racists in 1920's New York. How Imaginative....

February 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  8. Renaisauce

I don't understand John McCain's appeal. Why are so many people voting for him, especially in well-educated states? He's a loon when it comes to foreign policy, he has no zero executive experience, his immigration policies are infamous and the man would be 80 years old by the end of a second term. 80! Are people seriously voting for this guy because he reminds them of their grandpa? Is it because he was a good soldier 4 decades ago? The Republican race makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Please, let's get a competent and capable leader for the most complicated job in the world, and not get lazy about who we choose like some states. Either vote for Romney, who's legitimate, or bring back Bill Richardson so the Democrats don't have a candidate who is either "all talk" or the wife of a mediocre former president.

February 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  9. MO

Andrea I'm Asian, and I voted for Romney too. I would vote for any Democrats if either McCain or Huckabee win the nomination

February 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  10. john

What does Willard Mitt Romney know about immigration?? He likes having cheap illegal immigrant labor to work for one of his corporations.

Didnt he have illegals working at his mansion??

February 5, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. Gary

Agree with Andrea and MO. Contrast Mccain with Obama. We need the bridge to future not to the 60's and Vietnam. It is a sad day for Republican party as Romney is on the verge of elimination due dirty tricks of McCain and Huckabee.

February 5, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  12. Richard

I'm a republican but I'm with a lot of you. I won't vote for mccain. on the other hand I won't vote for hillary either. so if its mccain vs clinton I hope ther's a good third party candidate by nov. romney gets my vote and obama is second choice.

February 6, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  13. The Dean of Heroics

Dirty tricks....what a joke.
    This guy outspends them 10-1 and still can't win. Even with the backing of the zealots...he can't win...doesn't that tell you morons anything? Get a clue!

February 6, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  14. Paul

I just don't understand why so many Republicans are voting for some has-been, hot-head,who's sold over to the liberal side?! What's wrong with Mitt Romney? He's a new guy with new energy, who makes sense on the current issues?

February 6, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  15. The Dean of Heroics

Paul..its called consistency...McCain, albeit wrong sometimes, is consistent. Romney is a flake – like many of his supporters.

February 6, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  16. Josh

When McCain wins the Republican nomination, this conservative will be voting Democratic.

February 6, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  17. Forrest Gump

David in Kansas City.Yes and they came legally.They got in line,they didnt jump the line.They didnt steal I.D.s and social security nos.

February 6, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  18. Lilli Kay

I am chinese and black. The Asian voters in California broke for Hillary for 3 basic reasons: as a culture, they do not like change and in fact are resistant to change, as a culture they are racist/sexist, closed-off in their social life, workplace, and communities, and there is no critical or indepdent thinking among the genders/ generations; what grandma & grandpa thinks is what goes. There is no way that millions of asians (especially Chinese) are going to ever vote for a black or hispanic person. I voted in early January for Barak and would have voted for Hillary had Barak not been in the race. I am 56 yrs. old and I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 30 yrs. California is a dangerous place for politicians.

February 6, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  19. Harry

What ever happened to the real American statesmen?
    This country is going to the dogs, and I blame the liberal
    politicians that are almost all self serving and are changing
    "A country by the people (Tax paying legal citizens) and for
    the people" to "A country for the politicians and by the
    politicians" We American citizens are being sold out by
    the politicians that we elected to represent the American
    citizens!!!!!