February 5th, 2008

Schneider: Obama winning white voters in New Mexico

Voters wait in line to vote in New Mexico's Democratic caucus just before the polls close in Albuquerque.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton may have the edge among white voters nationally, but in New Mexico Barack Obama is leading her among that demographic, 55 percent to 37 percent. This is a clear departure from the national trend that shows Clinton with the edge among white voters. (She's beating Obama nationwide among white Democrats by 8 points.)

But New Mexico remains highly competitive overall because the Latino vote there is breaking strongly for Clinton, 61 percent to 30 percent.

–CNN Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider • New Mexico
  1. tired

mark – good point ! NO one is superior to anyone else. And anyone with a superior attitude toward anyone else in this country is in for a rude awakening. Latinos are no different and they are no better!! I have worked with several Latinos in my line of work and I will give you my opinion: they are the lowest producing group of people I have ever seen.

February 5, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  2. obama dude

What puzzles me the most is how so many articles are posted about Obama getting the white vote. By now, everyone knows his race. No need to repeat it. The black candidate gets another white vote. How silly is that? Do you think that the American people are so ignorant that they will vote on race alone? Give me some credit. And all you Hillary supporters will be crying when she enforces health insurance the same way the government enforces child support. That's going to be an ugly day. Pay your premium or lose your drivers license or go to jail.

February 5, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  3. Manuel, Pearland, TX

Mark, you're not very bright. Hispanics are an ethnic group, and this group includes a number of races...blacks, whites, native american and even asian.

I'm not sure about your educational background, but I do recall that I graduated from an Ivy league school.

February 5, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  4. obama dude

Ooops I'm sorry. Hillary will never be president because she won't get past McCain. This we know for sure.

February 5, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  5. Aloha Independent for Unbias and Objective Media Coverage

!!!AGAINST ALL ODDS!!! Senator Clinton holds her own...
    Even with the Media backing Senator Obama, she still prevails because the PEOPLE are voting not the MEDIA SPINS AND SUBJECTIVENESS

February 5, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  6. CHANGE IT!

Did you hear his speech??? And you can't see the change??
    Now he gave a speech. YES WE CAN YES WE CAN YES WE CAN......
    I LIKE THE 'OBABY OBABY OBAY'

February 5, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  7. Tom

Smart choice, Latinos!!!

February 5, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  8. RGV for Hillary

We Hispanics love Hillary Clinton!! She actually talks about the problems and the solutions. Obama only talks about the problems. All he does is sweet talk and manipulate everyone. Well the Hispanics aren't falling for it. We are not gullible. Our loyalty will always be with Hillary Clinton.
    Hillary for President!!!

February 5, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  9. HJ5150

WE ARE WITH YOU OBAMA!! BRING THE TRAIN TO VIRGINIA !!! WE WILL SHOW YOU!!

February 6, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  10. Lu

Obama is the man.!!!
    If we the female voters let Hillary be our next president; WE HAVE a BIG PROBLEM. It will be another Century before we have a Lady President. Think how Hillary will makes us woman look. Let’s look at her past. She will burn our bridge to the WHITE HOUSE.

Please vote Obama.

Lu

February 6, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  11. HJ5150

No, MANUEL, he is bright. I would ever venture to guess that he has worked with many Latinos, just as I. They want the easy ride and they are not going to get the easy ride.

February 6, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  12. sheisme

To all Hillary Supporters...what will you say when Hillary's government makes you pay mandates for "universal healthcare"....

Time to end the Clintona and Bush dynasty....Time for Change...OBAMA08

February 6, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  13. CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

Look at clips from John Abrams' show on MSNBC – the points that Obomber keeps making about Iran and supporting the Bush-Cheney policies are MISSTATEMENTS!

Obama is a hot air balloon. Hillary Clinton is a PRESIDENT!

VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!

February 6, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  14. Manuel, Pearland, TX

HJ5150... So you're convinced that Hispanics are all what race specifically?

It sounds like you have a hatred for Hispanics which bespeaks a narrow mind. If you're representative of the Obama constituency then I want no part of it. And it's a mute point with regard to AZ...Hillary already won.

February 6, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  15. Dusty

Does it puzzle anyone else that in a country of over 300 million people that these are the best candidates we can find to lead our country? I would like to thank them all for saying whatever they think will influence me to vote for them.

February 6, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  16. Tempered

I cannot believe that this is 2008, and there is such ignorance, bigotry, and racial hatred *still* to be found - even on this board.

Fighting against warped, ignorant hate-mongers (like some of those posters above) is exactly why I voted for Obama. His campaign slogan could have easily been "E PLURIBUS UNUM".

For those of you whose brains are too short-circuited to remember what you should have learned in grade school, that means "Out of many, One" and is the US motto.

February 6, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  17. CALIFORNIA=CLINTON COUNTRY

I would say that most blacks have looked for an EASY ride wouldn't you say so HJ5150??

Want another hand out??

February 6, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  18. CALIFORNIA=CLINTON COUNTRY

February 6, 2008 12:42 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Want another hand out??

LMAO! Gotta love CNN and their Censorship, Freedom of speech??

February 6, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  19. Victor

I think there is a fundamental problem with the media in this country. I think they have been bought for the republicans during this 8 years of republican corruption and now they are trying to push Obama for the general election so the republican win again. Yes, if Obama wins the democrats will loose miserably again becuase just as the white males, and african american are voting for Obama in the general election most of republican and independent, and yes white people will go republican before having a black president. I think the media is playing dirty once again. I can't believe the media in the US have the audacity to critize other countries media sold ou when they are the front runners. CNN, NBC MSNBC should be ashamed of what they are doing to the American people again, and again, and again.

February 6, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  20. Anonymous

I'm amazed at the comments . Barack Obama transcends race. Can't you see that he has won Idaho, Delaware, Utah, Kansas, North Dakato.....I mean come on. He is black after all. He obviously transcends race. If the country was as racist as most of you are saying....how did he whip Hillary in MO? He is a candidate with an amazing message. Wake up you small minded Americans..... Wake up

February 6, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. RuthieM

Obama's won New Mexico!

February 6, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. felicia

The Racism towards the Afro-latinos is tremendous, in all of south America.
    Although Afri Latinos are in the millions, they are rarely seen in the spanish soap Operas. Americans better demand English, and tell immigrants to learn English before they come here. A,mericans are getting tired of all this compromise for corporations to seek modern slaves. I do not agree with Barack on Amnesty, until english is the official language of America. He worked for them, and they pay him back by refusing to vote for him. Thank god for the youthful educated whites and blacks and white males. We have to take our country back. we have 300,000,000, we are the majority. we need to demand we stay that way, and not let south America come in at the rate of 200,000 per month, Like lou dobbs say it is a travesty of justice to American future and children. to have south America dumping into this country with their idiosyyracies, that demand our politicians violate our Sovereijgnty. I think Barack will listen to the majority which is not latinos yet. Furthermore Hillary wants a mandated health that will garnish our wages to pay for 30 to 40 million illegals health care. Mandate means it will be a tax.

February 7, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |