February 6th, 2008

Analysis: McCain clear leader; split decision may help Obama

Sen. John McCain has started to build an almost insurmountable lead in the GOP presidential race..

(CNN) - Super Tuesday positioned Sen. John McCain as the clear Republican front-runner, while a split decision in the Democratic race may eventually help Sen. Barack Obama, according to CNN's political analysts.

McCain extended his lead in the GOP race with impressive coast-to-coast wins from New York to California, while former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee carried states in the South. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney won seven races, including his home state of Massachusetts.

"I think we did achieve clarity. John McCain will be the Republican nominee," CNN analyst Jeffrey Toobin said. "Mike Huckabee did better than a lot expected. If you look at the delegates, there is no way either Huckabee or Romney can catch up. I think we did learn that much."

Full story

1. Fredy

im a democrat but im glad mccain is up on da gelegates..

February 6, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Chase

I wonder who will run with McCain on the Rep ticket? Discount Romney and Huckabee-they are only popular in specific populations/geographical areas–not enough general appeal. I'd like to hear some comments from the analysts as well as from readers.

February 6, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. Felicia

The split is to Obama's advantage, the recent polls suggestions that Obama is erasing Hillary's lead nationally and in many states.

Super Tuesday should have been Hillary's night to establish herself as the clear front runner, but she fail to do that. What helped her in the super Tuesday states was early and absentee ballots; those ballots were cast when Hillary had the clear lead Nationally and they went to Hillary 3-1; going forward it will be really difficult for her to take a stake; Obama have more spread, he won more states; the experience argument is not sticking and that is Hillary's strong argument and people are not buying it.

Obama have advantage in Money, he raised $32M just in January alone; also the Billary attempt to paint him as the black candidate is not working either.

This is good for the people, Obama took the fight to the strongest dynasty in America and he is fighting the Clinton brand name very well; It is shame to the Clintons that Obama the person they regard as a no body is causing them sleepless nights...

February 6, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. stowey

CNN has been fair so far concerning ite braodcast on Obama / Hillary all u complaing short up. Obama is a charismatic leader and Hillary is not . Obama inspire Hillary do not

February 6, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. abigail

Hillary's attitude toward Obama was frigidly hostile and divisive during the early debates. Hillary declared that she would not meet with the leaders of hostile nations. Since then she has told her supporters "what i meant was...." That won't wash. America needs an intelligent diplomat like Obama in the White House, not a self-important, arrogant Hillary.

I used to be an admirer Hillary , but I don't want another attack dog in the white House.

February 6, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. Stimbot

no bling bling for Romney.

February 6, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. KL

Come on folks stop crying and saying that CNN is unfair to Senator Clinton? CNN is doing nothing but reporting the facts about Senator Obama and what he has accomplished so far. Their entire staff has done an outstanding job as it pertains to reporting the facts. You all remember this don't you? The facts, or have you forgotten this is what every American wants to hear so he/she can make their own decision on who is the best candidate to be our next President.

Instead of judging an individual by his/her last name and/or experience as many of you have stated, why not judge that individual by his ideas/vision. This country does not need another Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush..."Clinton" presidency, this country needs someone who can reform all of the problems on Capitol Hill with new ideas and a clear vision...enough is enough with the crying!!

February 6, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. lars

I have always believed in the conservative ideals of the Republican party. With someone like McCain winning the nomination, I have to seriously question if the party is still the party of Reagan. There appears to be a changing shift in a major part of the party to the left. I do not feel I can support a McCain presidential run. Speaking to fellow long term conservatives, I can tell you that almost all of us feel the same way. If McCain wins it is a sad day for the Republican party and for the United States of America. Democrates will take the White House because the real conservatives will stay home.

February 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Kathy

McCain scares me to death. He likes war so much and doesn't care how many of our men and women die over there. People are so blind not to see him as he really is. I will not vote if he is all I have to vote for and I hope others will follow.

February 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Darth Vadik, CA

McCain is one exciting candidate, geez, a dead Reagan would have more charm than this guy. And what is up with that creepy voice "my friends", freaks me out more than Alberto Gonzales.

And one more thing...seriuosly...

...does McCain have problems with his shoulders, I have never seen him raise his arm past his chest height.

February 6, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  11. Kathy

McCain scares me. We will be in big trouble if he wins. I don't trust him. He is just sputs out lots of hot air. All we hear from him is war, war war.

February 6, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. pshep

Look at the actual voter counts… Obama is going to take this Election all the way to the White House… The comparison between the parties is amazing, and Obama has far more #'s than anyone… I'm keeping a chart, which I will post when the results (from 100% of all the states who have voted) are in… These numbers are staggering…
    We have begun the change we need…
    OBAMA…. is our best option and the voters are telling it…!!

February 6, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. Llola

Hey, if Romney is basically out of the race, doesn't that free up some time for his sons? Instead of "serving America" by campaigning for Dad, they can now serve in Iraq.

February 6, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. McCain is a hypocrit...

I have never voted Democrat in a general election, but I guess there's a first for everything. It looks like I will vote Democrat in November. It is said that McCain is going to try to unite the party. IT WON'T WORK! I'm gone. I look at integrity first and foremost, and neither McCain nor Huckabee have it. Hillary doesn't either. At least with Obama, I have caught him lying. If I have to choose between a liberal or a liar, I'm going to pick the liberal (although I don't agree with many, if any, of his positions). Sad day, but I will NEVER vote for McCain or Huckabee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. Democratic on the Fence

I am traditionally a Democrat - born in a Black family who grew up in the Washington DC suburbs but well educated and now living in the suburbs of Chicago. Now that my income has risen, I have been courted by others in my office to become a Republican, not for socio-political reasons but to protect my wallet from being pilfered by programs the government cannot afford. I have yet to jump on the Clinton or Obama wagon but as I reviewed the above blogs and listened to the pundits discussing the Super Tuesday results I have become more distanced from my Democratic roots. I agree that the nomination is still in play and that Hillary will likely prevail because of promises to and by the superdelegates. Yet, I cannot say that the people have spoken. In the large states, Hillary won by around 10 points or less even though she has been on the national political scene for more than 10 years. In some of the smaller states Obama won by more than 25 points. There is a split whether the split is along racial, social, gender or geographical lines. People are still deciding where to rest their hats. Moreover, add up the numbers for all the people who voted for each candidate (not by state but in the totality) and then let us talk some more.

February 6, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  16. ILoveAmerica

CNN is RIGHT this time – the evenly split Democratic result DOES help Obama – and it helps Hillary too!

- It helps them both because they will both be on the same ticket together in November (trust me), and the split result keeps both of their campaigns fully energized.

February 6, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. Shawn

McCain = 100 years in Iraq = War is the solution = More soldiers=Draft = I cannot in good conscience vote for him. And I used to list him as my second choice. The more I listen to him, watch him, the more I realize that he feigning a Republican party affiliation and that is not enough reason to get behind him. I hope Romney drops out. He's been through enough.

The liberal mainstream media propped up the two worst candidates. They fought against the best one. As a whole, our party is a bunch of suckers, we deserve to watch a Democratic victory this year.

February 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  18. dbrash

Why can't you Romney fans just get over yourselves! Most (meaning a majority)people don't like Romney. Maybe it has something to do with the way he and his followers talk down to people? Maybe it has something to do with his dishonesty? I know he claims to be Pro-Life, however, that is not an issue people change their mind on very easily. Could it be that he was Pro-Choice when he was trying to represent and very liberal state but now that he needs the conservative vote he conveniently changes his mind? Romney will say whatever he needs to say in order to be elected. Meanwhile, maybe the rest of you could realize that this is how the political process works in America. We go to the polls, we vote for people we want to represent us, and we live with the results. That's what separates us from nations who are constantly involved in civil wars. They cannot live with the results and they kill each other to get what they want, not the majority. Get over it!

February 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. DM

I'm a woman, but I'm not voting for Hillary. She isn't as grand and upstanding as some of your dreams make her out to be. Lets not forget she was smack in the middle of whitewatergate, filegate, travelgate and Vince Foster. Cover up after cover up. Her husband used his executive priviledge to keep American's from seeing files involving the two of them. It's sad to hear women say they'll vote for a woman just because she's a woman. Stop looking at gender or race. Start looking at character. You can tell their character by their deeds. I can't overlook what kind of character she and her husband had while they held the White House and the American's hostage last time.

February 6, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Ike

This election clearly exposes voters illitracy and riotous emotion that blind reality.Gender, race, charisma, smooth talk, eloquency, likability conservatism are canker warms that degrade the fabric of our political process and becloud our view of awful reality; what a shame. Our nation political destiny any hope?My name is Sam and I approve this message

February 6, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  21. La Raza for Hillary

Man what a nightmare for America if it is McCain/Clinton in November. Think about it.

February 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  22. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

To Geri

All of these candidates have their own websites...check out their agenda's and evaluate for yourself.

Regarding regulation...this is a given...the GOP has spent the past 7 years ignoring laws on the books and easing or eliminating industry regulation. The free-wheeling economic theories of GW Bush have literally created a health crisis for Americans with regards to: foods, drugs, childrens toys and clothing, food equipment, nutritional supplements, pet food, cleaning products–just to name a few.

This is why we don't have ANY FDA inspectors in China...and why the food, pharmacuetical, banking, energy...inspectors representing us have been dramatically reduced due to underfunding.

We need to have regulation–for our safety as well as our welfare and the environment–and to ensure the "desire of the people".
    We need a President who will decide on the side of the people–even if it doesn't make a profit.

February 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

P.S.

The only RESPONSIBLE candidate..who will affect the REAL changes in policy and public funding necessary to make change that may be unpopular to major business interests and industries in America–is President Obama.

He is unafraid–and unafililiated...he can create the right envrionment to make changes in Washington. The people will be behind him–the politicians will follow–we just have to have hope–and insert action.

B.H. Obama 2008!!

February 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. Illinois Democrat

Check out this online news flash from the 'Albuquerque Journal' dated 02-06-08; and then consider if this reminds you of the infamous 2000 election day results from Florida. Hmmm…counting must continue until the candidate preferrred by the Lt. Governor of New Mexico has secured her victory?

"Clinton holds narrow lead over Obama with thousands of votes to be counted.
    8:15am UPDATE: As many as half of the nearly 17,000 provisional ballots to be hand-counted today could be thrown out, New Mexico Lt. Gov. Diane Denish — a strong backer of Hillary Clinton — told 770 KKOB Radio's morning show host Bob Clark just moments ago."

February 6, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. jeffrey

I would have voted Republican but I wont vote for McCain. It looks like I'm voting for Obama this year. Sorry Romney. We hope to see you again in 2012

February 6, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |