February 6th, 2008

Analysis: McCain clear leader; split decision may help Obama

Sen. John McCain has started to build an almost insurmountable lead in the GOP presidential race..

(CNN) - Super Tuesday positioned Sen. John McCain as the clear Republican front-runner, while a split decision in the Democratic race may eventually help Sen. Barack Obama, according to CNN's political analysts.

McCain extended his lead in the GOP race with impressive coast-to-coast wins from New York to California, while former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee carried states in the South. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney won seven races, including his home state of Massachusetts.

"I think we did achieve clarity. John McCain will be the Republican nominee," CNN analyst Jeffrey Toobin said. "Mike Huckabee did better than a lot expected. If you look at the delegates, there is no way either Huckabee or Romney can catch up. I think we did learn that much."

Full story

1. David....Nevada

REAL conservative republicans crossing over to vote Hillary... Hillary or Johnny Mc.. no real difference here.. Converatives in the local, state and both houses of congress. Hillary in the General.
    We can't stand Johnny mc and will not vote for him... Keeping the dems from getting a super majority in congress in paramount. Stop pacnicing over the supreme court.

February 6, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. Gordon

It looks like the disenfranchised moderates have finally got a champion in John McCain.

He is honest.
    He is Patriotic.
    He has served his county and is a genuine hero.
    He has values that are tolerant of others.
    He works with others of different views.
    He believes in the Win/Win and not the Win/Lose.
    He is consistent in his views and does not change his views just to please people and get votes.
    He stands up for others and is not afraid to speak up for what he thinks is right.
    He is reasonable.
    He does not jump to conclusions; he must have adequate facts before acting and will not get pushed into something.
    He is humble.
    He is not perfect, and does not try to portray himself as such.
    He is dedicated to the USA.
    He places America first and foremost and does not forget that in words or actions.
    He is loyal to the American people to whom he answers.

February 6, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Ben

When all is said and done, Hillary polarizes and divides the nation while Obama inspires and bring out the best in us. What good is the experience, if she won't be able to unite the country by creating a majority in the Congress to push the democratic agenda? We can't afford filibustering of important legislations by republicans who have it out for the Clinton brand name.

What really irks me is the Bush – Clinton dynasty battle. This is a democracy not an an aristocracy or an oligarchy. Nothing against Hillary, but the fact that she has a Clinton last name is a turn me and many democrats off and surely it turns off other half of the country . That's not a good place to start.

Obama will come through because he's got a moment, and the republicans don't have an answer for him.

February 6, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. benvictor

My prediction. Republicans have the time now to unite for November. Democrats are terribly fractured. If Hillary wins, blacks will sit home in November. If BO wins, white voters will support Michael Bloomberg is he runs as an independent. If not, white voters will support John McCain, Vietnam hero, who is a moderate with views white voters will support. I am a democrat and this is how I will vote in November. While I have spoken here of blacks and whites, I believe Asian Americans will support Bloomberg or McCain. Latinos, I fear, will feel disenfranchised by a Hillary loss and disinterested in the November election.

February 6, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. P.D.

I've concluded that people are insane.
    Insane for swallowing 8 years of lies, corruption, immorality, theft and overall abuse of power.....
    recession, bancruptcy, international reputation worth sh**.
    AFTER ALL THAT – SOME OF YOU PEOPLE PUT YOUR FAITH IN AN OLD, FLIP-FLOPPING, CONFUSED, UNHINGED, WAR MONGING CRAZYMAN JOHN MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GEEZUS, MARY AND JOSEPH PLEASE RESCUE US FROM THIS INSANITY.
    You know, this country belongs to a heck of alot of people who DO NOT subscribe to the Republican mindset?
    IT IS TIME FOR THE DEMOCRATS TO CLEAN UP THIS MONUMENTAL MESS!
    The only way out of this quagmire is to get your butts out of your house, away from your computer and TV and into the voting booths.
    Elect Clinton or Obama for crying out loud.
    If I have to go through 4 more years of this budget busting occupation invasion....
    with that crazy, wild eyed Kook, I will positively not be responsible for my actions.

February 6, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. pshep

total voter count – provided as of 12:20pm
    (not 100% yet)

Obama – 8,270,516
    Clinton – 7,617,142
    McCain – 4,808,562

Dem tally does not include Fl or Mich

February 6, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Adam

Llola hes not Pres. Bush get a hold of yourself.

February 6, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. joe

mccain's task at this time is to extend the olive branch to the different parts of the rep party. he needs to do this without appearing to concede his positions, therefore potentially be percieved as pandering to the conservative wing.

clinton and obama have a more difficutl task; they need to deliver a clear victory. clinton suffers from a lack of something that obama seems to have in abundance; the ability to draw in new voters. clinton needs to convince those still undecided that she is the better choice. obama needs to convice all the democratic voters that he is a real choice.

February 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Sam

Obama won the red states because the independents voted for him. But come general election time, they will vote Republican. Count on it.

February 6, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. POW.truth

OK...something all of you must know. MCCAIN was a prisoner of war and I know it doesn't give him any kind of special rights but he was definitely against the Vietnam War and even attacked former Sec. of Defense McNamara. He knows how to handle Iraq and knows the meaning of a soldier's life. The Maverick factor just adds to a better handling of foreign policy b/c ultra conservatives with war on their mind won't effect his decisions.

February 6, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  11. Marylene

I use to think that CNN was unbiased but I think CNN is now officially disgusting and their coverage is biased. I refuse to be swayed by their mindless propaganda. However, I must thank them because they have helped me make up my mind. I was undecided but I am now going to vote for Hillary because I think it is too suspicious how CNN is overplaying Obama and never gives Hillary a fair break even when she genuinely deserves it. All I have to say to CNN is SHAME ON YOU!!!
    GO HILLARY!!!!! You shall overcome and be the next president of America!

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  12. Timotee

@ Liola – "Hey, if Romney is basically out of the race, doesn't that free up some time for his sons? Instead of "serving America" by campaigning for Dad, they can now serve in Iraq."

No, they will continue working in their jobs to pay higher taxes for all you free-loader liberal's socialized healthcare, open border amnesty plans, phony global warming programs, etc., etc., etc.

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  13. Geri

CNN ... where is my post from awhile ago???

February 6, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  14. Dan - Canada

Here's the general view from outside of the US:

McCain is old, speaks like his reading from a fairytale book, says "my friends" way too much.

Clinton is unlikable, insincere, fierce and trying to force people into buying health care (yeah like that's going to happen with the state America's economy is in right now).

Obama is likable, sincere, kind and actually seems to be willing and capable to change the country and take on the challenges that America has right now. People saying he's not experienced enough should think about all the people around him once he becomes president. It's not like he's going to run the country by himself or anything.

I'm not even going to talk about Romney, Huckabee and Paul, because their race for the nomination was over a long time ago.

February 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  15. TOM

Who cares who you will vote for.
    If you are true Republicans you should vote for McCain in November, how simple is that??

February 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. Dean

I’m disappointed in voters and the Republican Party. It’s sad to see this strong of a shift moving away from conservative American values and to see just how far left the entire nation leans. I don’t know who ill vote for now.

February 6, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. CommonSense

I'm 37 and ever since my teenage years, I don't recall having a president that's not either a Clinton or Bush. The presidency here is becoming like other thirld world and autocratic countries, all run by familly dinasties. when people think of Clinton they think of good economic times. Well my friends, the truth is that thanks to the internet discovery of the 90's, good economic times were upon us, but once that bubble burst, during clinton's last year, that implied recession that bush inherited thanks to bill. Also Clinton is the one who started the wonderfull free trade policies that shipped our jobs overseas and created the wonderfull economic conditions in India and China and sent our gas prices soaring.
    Bush then tried to create another bubble, the housing bubble, but unfortunately it wasn't able to hold up till he gets out of office.
    Buttom line is we need a SMART and INTELLECTUAL person in the white house to clean the Bush's and Clinton's mess. Remember the nice hugs and kisses of the Bush's and Clinton's during Bush's first year in office?
    WE NEED A PEOPLE's PRESIDENT!
    JOIN THE MOVEMENT!

February 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. Steph

John McCain,

Please don't pick Joe Lieberman as a running mate.

February 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Johnnie-be-good

Well for all you young people, your hat should go off to John McCain. There isnt that many Americans that have came back from being a POW in any war. The man spent time in a cell, encouraged other POW's to fight on when they were ready to give up and die. He stood fast to his belief's and had the courage to look at each day as a stepping stone to the his future. Now the man is living the American dream and running for president. Now I may seem shallow, uneducated to some, but let's get down to basic's here. Do you want a leader or a want to be president.
    Clinton just wants the title, cant make a decision on anything, tells you what you want to hear, and does the opposite. And really justs want a chance to get back at Bill for all his fun in the White House.
    Obama, is just as bad, only he has Oparh behind him.
    LET"S GET AMERICIA BACK ON THE RIGHT TRACK!

February 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. bev

I don't know why anyone even believes what any candidate says. What a farce! They are all making promises they haven't a snowball's chance in making good. They all lie, they all tout themselves as the next great leader, and they all put down the others.

Give it up and do what most people do. Vote for the one you think will give you something for nothing or get you out of the mess you got yourselves into. Pick the one who you think will come pay your bills or bail you out of your mortgage crisis. Cast your ballot for a "sugar daddy" that's gonna take care of you so you don't have to.

February 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. bobr

Darth...

McCain cannot raise his arms above his chest. I believe it is the result of torture in Vietnam, but I could be wrong.

February 6, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  22. Lucy, Boston

All I can say is that I lost respect for McCain and Huckabee. McCain is a nasty old man and Huckabee is closed minded crook.

I would vote for Obama if McCain is nominated. As least Obama is a decent human being.

February 6, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. Vic, Brooklyn, NY

McCain is not just bad for the Republicans, he is very very bad for country, for regular people. Washington doesn't want an outsider, I mean Mitt Romney. Corrupted politicians endorsed one of them, even they hate him (McCain).

February 6, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. ConcernedDem

Clinton was the clear winner last night.Surge was limited to the media's continuing and disabling pre-occupation with Obama.Heavens would have fallen if California was won by Obama but since Clinton has won we hearing hows and why it happened!!I am wondering when will they wake up and question his experience,record and qualifications to be a president not a popularity contest winner!!

February 6, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |