February 6th, 2008

Clinton, Kennedy and Obama meet on the Senate floor

(CNN) - CNN's Ted Barrett reports that on the Senate floor just minutes ago, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, who has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, approached Sen. Hillary Clinton during the vote on the economic stimulus package. He shook her hand and said something that caused her to laugh loudly - it seemed to be about her success in Massachusetts last night. Obama, standing two feet away talking to Sen. Tim Johnson, turned.

After a few more comments that couldn't be overheard from the press gallery directly above them, Clinton laughed again and said to Obama. "I had a big sigh of relief when he [Kennedy] endorsed you." Everyone laughed, a little awkwardly. Sen. John Kerry, who has also endorsed Obama, took the Illinois senator by the elbow and walked away with him.

1. Tony

I think this shows politics as a game. Enemies during the game and friends after the game, but what matters is which team scores most goals. I think Obama will score most since we're in the second half.!

February 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Cody, Iowa City, Iowa

3 Presidential losers together: Kennedy, Kerry and Obama. I bet Hillary remembers those endorsements after she is inaugurated.

February 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. Al Smith

Voted for Kerry as a protest vote against Bush he proved to be a loser.Doubt if Kennedy will win again when his term is up as senator. These two are of the old guard and Obama is supposed to be for change!!!!

February 6, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  4. BKM

Kennedy, John Kerry all of them should now know that the people who have elected them to senate are smarter tehn them. Endorsing Obama had two possible motives. 1. They are trying to show that they are truly trying promote diversity and like to see a black president. It did not work. Hillary own MA in landslide. Maria Shiver and Oprah tried California, it did not work. Wake up guys its about who has a record and who truly can lead, It is not about who bank on some accidental firey speech and overnight celebrity status.

February 6, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  5. Anthony

That was very messy of her. Hillary, please continue to be the tactful person we know and admire, or you may change my opinion of you.

Hillary '08

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Donna

As much as I was always a fan of the Kennedy's.
    Lets face it folks. Dirty laundry is in all closets.
    Let Uncle Teddy continue to endorse Obama. I agree its the kiss of death!
    Some get caught with the dirt, others sweep it under the carpet. Just get real and look at the facts. If Hillary with the expierence wins. We all win.
    Economy was good for me with the past Democrats. three years ago I struggled to keep my home in Md. Now having to work in Florida to be able to pay my mortgage.
    We need Hillary.

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. Lani

Kennedy and Kerry are basically gonna control Obama. They know they can manipulate him that's why they endorsed him. Obama won't control the presidency Kennedy and Kerry will. People this is so obvious.

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. william

Kerry is using Obama as his platform to run for president again. Kennedy is using Obama to get his cozy seat in the White House.

Obama said he wouldn't have been able to win Connecticut without the help of Teddy and Caroline Kennedy.

That should show you that Obama needs a support system of outsiders in order to win.

I hope the TRUE DEMOCRATS open their eyes and know that the nominee should be Senator Hillary Clinton.

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. PMB

I think its great that they all can be civilized. It reveals that the Democrats is the stronger party, if you know what I mean.

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. Mark

I think the Dick cheney of Obama is John Kerry and Tom Dashle. John Kerry can go for nomination because of his stupid message to student, I will send you to iraq if you don't study hard. The other Tom Daschle, he lost his seat in senate from Republican. But they both have ambition to lead the country, so they learn fromDick Cheney to pick one puppet for them

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Tim, MN

Again, Obama turned away when Ted Kennedy talks to Hillary, how childist and disrespectful was he? (Let's give him the benefit of the doubt of wanting to leave Sen. Clinton and Sen. Kennedy alone), but then John Kerry walked off with him? Kerry is such a rat, Obama needs to distance away from Kerry ASAP!!!

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. seektruth

I am afrait that comment sounds mean, don't you think? mock at someone in public who had working so hard on obama rally, that is not respectful or at least not sesitive or she don't feel for one another as many voter think thay can't relate to her. she is very smart but lack of something that is core which connects others. who must feel other' pain and service with great compasion, a leader with that quality will bless America people and the world. by the way, her bad judgment on war , lack of vision for big picture, as if someone thinks herself is very good on kitchen table issues while leting her roof fall! the disater of war get us into dept in econemy and loss of treasure lives! her style of hard working is appealing but we need a leader in the crisis of our time.
    obama 08!

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Rob

Clinton is being childish. Don't take the bait Barack, they are once again trying to draw you in. Last night was supposed to be Clinton's coronation and it wasn't. The Clinton campaign has problems; one of them is an America that is tired of these same types of political games that continue to cause infighting amongst our neighbors as well as our goverment. Stay the course, we are right were no one thought we would be except for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. Anonymous

I don't approve of Kerry's treating of that situation. It seemed quite rude. I mean, Clinton wasn't insulting him, she actually insulted Kennedy...

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  15. Patricia Hughes

Senator Kennedy and Senator Kerry are both part of the 'old boy network' of Washington. If you are for change as you say you are why would you want an endorsement from either of them. It was somewhat astounding that Senator Obama sought either of their endorsements. Camelot is over and Senator Kerry's run for the presidency was diastrous for democrats. I find it puzzling that people who should know better don't support a woman who was part of 'eight years of peace and prosperity.' The media does everything they can to discredit her. Senator Clinton is the one person who can bring change and bring this country back to where it was pre-Bush.

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  16. Jay

This is no news. Just blah blah blah. Let's get to some important issues. Hillary is cash strapped and I don't think this is news either. In every campaign, people win and people lose. That's the name of the game.

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Silvia Salcido

Thank you for broadcasting this item. As a result, I have mailed my $100.00 to Senator Clinton. I know thousands of my fellow democrats will do the same. I will continue to donate to Senator Clinton as the race progresses. Congratulations to her entire team!

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. scott Valentine

I have to give it to Hillary.

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. lgioia

I couldn't believe how appauling and disgusting it was to hear Senator Kennedy
    endorsing Obama,originally and at the rock star rally in California. The screaming and
    the shreiking was a turn off by not only him, but ophra, also. If Obama is calling
    for change, why would he be so stupid as to allow such dispictable concert
    style behavior. We are electing a president! I am so grateful that Hillary
    is being herself, and all of her supporters are dignified. I am so tired of hearing
    the same thing from O bama , in that loud monotone, acting like he is
    kennedy , with those upswing endings to sentences. I have gotten to the point
    where I don't want to see him or hear him and I turn him off.

February 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. Billie

I'm surprised they could all fit in the same room, did anybody else notice how huge Ted Kennedy's head is, literally. When he was behind Obama on t.v. when he announced he was backing him, his head looked so big he looked a cartoon character.

February 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. democrat_2008

What goes around comes around. Pres. Clinton came out to campaign for Kerry after heart surgery. Kerry repaid the favor endorsing Obama when he could have kept quiet. If any endorsement, it should have been his running mate (and better candidate) Edwards. Kerry you are a loser and will bring Obama down. As for Kennedy, he's just looking to ride what he thinks is a wave. He's always been a disgrace to the Kennedy name, pity that he as become the spokesman.

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  22. black for Hillary

Lani...you got my point...HRC '08

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  23. Harriet

Was this a slow news day? Or where you desperate to put something new on the ticker.

Tsk, tsk, CNN. Pretty slim pickings in this article.

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. Lucienne Gomez

what make Barack obama think that he will get Hillary Clinton votes in November I don't thinks so his to sure of himself to arrogant and his acting the he really his .sorry Obama you will not get my vote I 'll become Republican first , Obama you will never be a JOHN F, KENNEDY. sorry you don't feel the same way Caroline.

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  25. Ca Native

CNN – while you're reporting on the interpersonal drama between Clinton, Kennedy and Obama... you are failing to report on the introduced bill, "Semper Fi Act" – stripping Berkley of $2 million in earmarks as a result of their vote to expel the US Marines.

Semper Fi !!