February 6th, 2008

Clinton, Kennedy and Obama meet on the Senate floor

(CNN) - CNN's Ted Barrett reports that on the Senate floor just minutes ago, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, who has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, approached Sen. Hillary Clinton during the vote on the economic stimulus package. He shook her hand and said something that caused her to laugh loudly - it seemed to be about her success in Massachusetts last night. Obama, standing two feet away talking to Sen. Tim Johnson, turned.

After a few more comments that couldn't be overheard from the press gallery directly above them, Clinton laughed again and said to Obama. "I had a big sigh of relief when he [Kennedy] endorsed you." Everyone laughed, a little awkwardly. Sen. John Kerry, who has also endorsed Obama, took the Illinois senator by the elbow and walked away with him.

1. Jeremy Smith

I loved the Clinton years too!

How can we elect a guy born in Hawaii and raised in Jakarta?? with the middle name of Hussein!! Not that Saddam Hussein was such a bad man but geesh......it just seems weird to me!

I am scared of this Obama wave!! I sure hope it goes away!!

Hillary has two good sectors voting for her: women and people over 65. Both of these sectors vote alot!!

60% of voters are over 45!! so Hillary has this going for her!! along with the Latin vote!! and the female vote!

GO HILLARY!!! Kerry and Kennedy are big names but some people dont like them so they will vote for Hillary!

At least in California we got it right! Hillary!!

February 7, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  2. Manuel

I am hispanic and I did follow both Democratic campaigns, Hillary Clinton and Obama, I can not stop thinking...When I heard in one of the debates Mr.Obama answer that he had knowledge of different culture's because he lived overseas when he was a child for one or two years (I do not recall the exact age) 6-8.

Please, a child that age ONLY interest is to play or when to eat, at this early age, children are CLUELESS in regards of the culture, etc.
    With those kind of answers in a pre-presidential campaign, if elected, can you think the chaos and the possible terrible consequences that could take place in a serious international situation?.
    I think he is NOT mature or ready yet, and not to offend him and his supporters, he is very naive in this aspect, he may be "brilliant" in OTHER topics, but NOW, among many other "National issues", USA needs to FIX the image and reputation before the world, and to be able to do that.....
    The ONLY answer is to VOTE for HILLARY CLINTON period.

February 7, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  3. berenice

hello people i have been reading all of your comments and can I say obama did not raise millions ok OPRAH gave him that money lets be real. and about the kerry taking obama away from clinton can i say that on the first snub tedd kennedy had just endorsed obama ok she was being the bigger person and he turns his head. what a child grow up and then for the second snub for john to get obama away come on is he not a big boy i guess he wanted to cry to mommy clinton is being mean hahahahhaha. and another childish thing not wanting to debate. why doesn't he well because he knows clinton will beat him like crazy.

February 7, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  4. berenice

p.s i am dissapointed at cnn for making it obama all day ok you are supposed to be reporters with equal and truth keep it that way. another reason obama still has money. you give him free publicity

February 7, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  5. Robert

I am a huge Hillary Clinton fan, and couldn't be more proud of how our girl is doing. No... unlike how one Barack Obama supporter put it, I have not sipped the "kool-aid". I am tired of people saying things such as "Hillary has no experiance other than being a first lady and a Senator". That is bull and you know it. To say otherswise is to spread filthy propaganda like a Republican would. I think the Barack Obama supporters are the ones drinking the "kool-aid" folks.
    All I get out of Barack Obama is the fact that he can speak well in front of crowds. Big deal. I am not impressed and speaking ability does not a president make. Wake up people, are you going to believe all this hype that he can do all the things he promises on day one? He doesn't even have a single clue what the duties of President of the United States consists of. HIllary saw her husband do it, and knows what it takes to make this country what it can be. Obama would promised you the moon and heaven above if it got you to fill in the oval next to his name on primary/caucus day.I will give Obama his due... he can learn what it takes to do the job by surrounding himself with the right people. However, thats time wasted that Hillary wouldn't need.
    Lets face it... Hillary has the drive, the experiance, and the commitment it takes to regain control of our country and salvage all thats left after George Bushes 8 Years of Hell. In the end, hopefully whoever wins, we can unite as a party and regain the White House. Bottom line, I am Democrat through and through, and if you call yourself a democrat, you will support whoever the DNC puts up against the Republican War Machine.

February 7, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  6. lolo

How many times i have to post Go Hillary to get posted

BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  7. ethan

Mary San Diego...You have made the point for all of Us. Good one.

obama movement

February 7, 2008 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  8. merlin

the voters had spoken, tremendous numbers voted for Hillary. That's why there's plenty of room left for the supporters of Obama. hehehe..
    Go Hilary....

February 7, 2008 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  9. Cyn

Way to go, Hillary fans. With Hillary acting like that, they may as well have met on the playground, not the Senate floor. At least Barack was trying to be gracious in congratulating her and all she could do was come up with a snotty, mean-spirited (and not to mention bitter!) remark in return.

I don't dislike Hillary as a candidate but it's crap like this that makes me believe that Obama really does want to build bridges and with Hillary, it's business as usual.

February 7, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  10. kaz

For the Hillary supporters, this is how the 32 million breaks down.

32 million dollars from 260,000 donors = $123 each

Strength in numbers.

And o get this too... $6 million today raised for Obama to match Hillary's book money she dropped in.

Have fun storming the castle.

February 7, 2008 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  11. kaz

If obama doesnt take it, ill vote for Nader.

February 7, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  12. kennie

Surely,its time for real change and for the better of US and the Ship to take us there is Obamaship

February 7, 2008 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  13. Anthony

Obama will unite this nation and this is his time. The Clintons are of the past. I am glad that the Kennedys endorsed Obama. Thier endorsement helped him win. Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  14. Cyrille

We know the Clintonites will do everything they can to get back in the white house. Things that happened before in 3rd world countries are about to the U.S...a dynasty rule of 2 families BUSH-CLINTON for 28 years.....GOD FORBID!!!!

We the people say no!! we are tired of all these power hungried,liars,arrogant,divisive and self interest jokers!!!

Our candidate is OBAMA

February 7, 2008 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  15. Debbie

I agree with one commenter that Hillary should be careful what she says out loud. I'm an independent and watching all candidates equally and while I was about ready to back Obama I started rethinking that as soon as I heard Ted Kennedy was endorsing him. My primary is a ways off (NC) so I have time to see what happens. Do you wonder if Kennedy endorsing Obama is a ploy to get democrats to vote for Hillary? It's not like politicians haven't done dirtier deals.

February 7, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  16. Dexter

I wonder how big of a sigh she'll let out when it dawns on her that she's still going to be a senator next year.

February 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Troy-Boston

Jennifer E. or should I say Obama volunteer- so many wrong statements in your nice long post. First of all, you talk about Hillary supporters hating Obama- absolutely not... many say "He is a very good candidate, but not president material just yet." On the other hand, Obama supporters call her "evil" and "nasty"... all words that 12 year-olds say in the school cafeteria. However, Obama supporters do not stop there; they go on to offend not only Hillary, but her supporters as well, calling them uneducated and poor and so on- (b.t.w I would challenge anyone's education who posts here.) You say that she attacked Obama- I tend to disagree. You can't make everything better just by saying "Hillary and I have been friends before, we are friends now, and we will be friends." That's just great- but it just comes across as a failed attempt to do some damage control. Finally your final thoughts: ahh, where do I start? Every stentence is in contradiction with the next one. I read your post twice to see if I had unintentionally skipped a few of your "thoughts" – but no, I was not wrong! You say that noone has mentioned the issues, yet you do not mention them yourself. You claim that most people are voting based on emotion, yet your post is the most emotion-driven one. You say that it sadens you to see people "hate" Obama, yet you bash on Hillary throughout your post.
    Dear Jnnifer E., please stop for a minute and think: Both candidates bring a lot to the table. However, Hillary brings facts, Obama brings hope. I can't live depended on hope anymore. I did that for the past 8 years. Things do not get done by hoping, they get done by acting.

February 7, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. SPQR753

Kaz,

Are you REALLY trying to tell us that 260,000 people, donated exactly the SAME amount?

Come on get real.....

February 7, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. sum

hello obama supporters i m just worrid for him that when he become the president but actually controled by Kerry and Kennedy. What a shame kerry and kennedy u guys r so jealous to Clintons bcoz no democratic member able to do like what Clintons achieve today! Shame on u guys.

February 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. D-MI

The best reason not to vote for Clinton:

The horrifying prospect of people saying / typing "You Go Girl!" for the next 4-8 years...

February 7, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  21. JEN

Diane Sawyer said on feb. 5 that cable news is ruining the elections. I agree with her 100%. IM SURE THIS POST WONT BE ENTERED. You are all network tv rejects and have became no better than tabliot tv. Im impressed that even with all of CNN?MSNBC?FOX?KENNEDYS?OPRAH?JOHN KERRY ROBER DENIRO, he still comes up short. WE THE PEOPLE CHOSE THE PRESIDENT NOT CNN.

February 7, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Birds

Linda -– AMENNNNNNNN!
    Go Hillary!

February 7, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  23. back again in awaiting moderation hell....

My remark from last night at 10:18 p.m. awaiting moderation....do ya think your moderators can be a little more fair??? Anything that is against Obama man is always stuck in awaiting moderation hell.....cnn....I noticed the Obama man on CNN and all the other channels were in Los Angeles reporting on the SWAT officer getting killed...not you....you got your Obama man on there!!! geesh!!!!

February 7, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  24. CA Dem 4 Hill

Obama doesn't want to debate Clinton because all the TELEPROMPTERS are rented out! Clinton speaks to the crowd from the heart. Obama needs them written by speech writers and displayed so he can read!

February 7, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  25. CHERYL

NO OBAMA WILL BE LUCKY HE IS NOT IN PRISON AFTER THE SCANDAL BREAKS!
    THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!!!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |