February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. this_is_our_time!

Because she is a liar and a cheat and she will do anything to make it into the warehouse..check the track record how many people have been indicted dealing with her....

SHE IS POWER HUNGRY & THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT SHE WILL DO TO BE THE PRESIDENT!!!

OBAMA 08

February 7, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. Jane

Like Bill Clinton, I have waited all my life for the chance to vote for a black man. Obama seems like a good guy, but sadly he is much too naive and untested to be president.
    Hillary will win in November. She's the best!

February 7, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Michael, Houston TX

Someone wrote this on another blog earlier, please read, its very well thought out.

February 7, 2008 5:11 am ET

In the Media's eyes, Clinton will never do right. Obama will always be a prince. If it were Clinton getting Oprah, and all the celebrities, the press would spin it to be a celebrity campaign. I agree that the Media is being very unfair to not only Clinton but to Huckabee and Ron Paul as well.

I noticed Jack Nicholson endorsed Hillary, but there was no mention of it. I noticed many other establishments, and celebrities have endorsed her yet the only coverage that gets attention is that Maria Schriver added to the Obama team. When you got backers like Oprah and Kennedy's it is not too hard to raise a big sum of money.

Funny how it was only briefly mentioned that Obama DOES in fact take money from the very people he complains about, he just does it once removed so it is not direct. That is sneaky and underhanded and dishonest… and you want him to be president? WOW !!

I think its time the press starts running fair coverage and positive/negative coverage equally. And I think its time that Americans start thinking for themselves, rather than allowing the news media and big names like Oprah influence your decisions.

I think it is offensive to many people like ME who ARE very educated and DO make above average incomes, and say all her supporters are stupid and poor. I would be even MORE offended if I WAS one of the uneducated one and low income. is that NOT who these candidates are trying to better the lives of? And if THEY are the ones voting for her, that tells you something. Maybe SHE IS the candidate to make the changes needed. I hope Edwards endorses her.

Maybe when Obama decides to actually put some substance to his case, rather than just saying I was right about Iraq, he would be more appealing.

Does it NOT concern anyone that he said he needs to win because he will be "right" on day one, (basically saying he, I'm perfect, and am never wrong) but at the last debate said he doesn't want yes men around him because he won't always be right? so he got lucky on ONE topic, if he admits he won't always be right in the end, then how can that be his case for winning? If that had been Clinton saying that, the news would have been all over it!

MEDIA!!! Be FAIR, be equal, and make sure that EVERYONE is accountable in the same way.

February 7, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  4. P

Yes, it's okay if Obama spend more money that's understanable his last name is not clinton, he's spouse has not been in the White House for 8 years, he does not have an establish machine, he doesn't have bellionaire friends. What he has is the whole country behind him, he's not just a work horse who cannot inspire ordinary people but he is a work horse who can inspire ordinary people. He doesn't say things just to win people's vote, he say things to inspire people to vote.

February 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Shelly

I am curious where a person who has worked "the last 30 years" helping the poor gets 5 million dollars to loan to her campaign. Being so humble must pay really well.
    Someone asked where Obama was getting all of his money when families don't have a lot of extra money these days - When you believe strongly about something you pinch and find the money to support him.
    It's time for a change, dig deep!

February 7, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Dave

The only fair reporting is by Dan Abrams.

February 7, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Anthony Brooks

All the democrats are funded by corporate interests. It's a good thing too because your measily little donation will get spent in a heartbeat the way they go through money. Now you have to ask yourself, do you want a president that spends dollars like they are going out of style? – Oh that's right, the dollar is going out....

February 7, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. All4Change

She's playing the "Pity card" to all of her gullible supporters.
    "Poor, Poor me. Now hand me your fat wallets!!!"
    Go ahead and fall for it, Hillary supporters. She's sooo manipulative!

Nothing can stand in the way of a million voices calling for change.
    OBAMA '08

February 7, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. Cindy

Is it legal for OPRAH WINFREY to make contributions to Obama using names/addresses obtained at campaign rallies or her audiences?

February 7, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Amy

Randy, 20M of Hillary's on hand money is for the general election and can not be used for the primary.

February 7, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. pedrolenhard

it only shows how committed is Hillary with the campaign

February 7, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. George Wu, A.I.A.

All4Change: I agreed with you! This is after "Iron my shirt", crying and laughing like a person on the verge of breaking down ! What is next? dancewu(dot)net

February 7, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Mary

To all Obama supporters:
    Please explain what do you see Obama "changing".
    What exactly everyone expects to see happen other from what Hillary proposes or is capable to deliver?
    How do you see him 'revolutionize' the future?

Obama only says things people want to hear and all the gallable people listen and dream as if they held a lottery ticket in their pocket before their bubble burts.

Unfortunately all the 'youth' does not yet have enough life experience to see how things work in Washington.
    Anyway, if Obama wins, you'll have to suffer consequences later, far longer than the older generation.
    America desperately needs a healthcare overhaul; "he" won't make it happen (he says he'll make it affordable for every American.... HOW?).
    We are yet to hear what in fact he proposes to do and make things happen.

It's like at a job interview. Some people are good speakers but that's all they can deliver. So really think who you vote for.

It's far smarter to go with experience and with the sure and tested instead of a "trial by error".

GO HILLARY!!!

February 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. marge

"February 6, 2008 4:38 pm ET

I would like to know where Obama got the $32,000,000 to keep running his campaign. "

(((LIZ)))) I bet The Clintons would like to know the answer to that one too! LOL!LOL! Maybe they could get some and wouldn't have to spend their own money! LOL!LOL!LOL!

February 7, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Anna Ghita

She is not the Media darling , but she will prevail.

February 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Luke, Chicago

Love, that when Hillary loans herself money because she's so sure of her nomination.... Okay Hillary supporters (who have probably never seen a million dollars in your life time) you better give more so that poor Hillary can pay herself back!!! At least when the rich republicans put their own money into their campaign they don't expect it back....

February 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. simplyme

Question. How come when asked about their donations last week HRC stayed away from commenting until after super tuesday then they let the cat out of the bag? Surely the Mitt Romney of the Democratic party. Maybe she'll follow Mitt Romneys lead today!!!!

February 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. CAlena

Being a female, rather poor, and an independent I've voted FOR Obama last Tuesday, and I intend to vote AGAINST Hillary in November if by any chance dems choose to nominate her. Here's why. Hillary campaign has started with the promise to defeat Republicans, many other fat and false promises, and the statement about her experience. I don’t need Clinton’s “experience” in Washington politics with “remarkable” results in Health Care Reform. In contrast, Obama's way is to unite us all, to solve our common problems as a nation. I like that approach: we don't need to defeat each other based on our differences (as suggested by Hillary), but we need to unite and solve our problems together. We can't afford to go back to 90-ies with Hillary and with the same old Washington where politicians like Clintons are all about their money and careers. We need to go forward united and make Washington work for us, the people of this country.

By the way: no President can be the best expert on everything, that’s why they hire advisers.

Dems, you’ll loose my vote if you nominate Hillary.

OBAMA for PRESIDENT!!!

February 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. leafonatree

Hillary Clinton is not going to win the 2008 presidential election. If she does, I'm moving to Europe.

February 7, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Roge Long Beach, CA

Sent a donation to the obama campaign today!

It is important we remember the lessons of NH, and for the obama camp to not rest on yet-to-be cemented laurels. Hillary is (unfortunately) still very much in the race.

I think it is crucial for Obama to set the tone of how many debates they have, and to put in more efficient performances. While effective as a stump speech, his message of "change" sounds regurgitated in, and has become, stale in a debate forums.For the life of me, I can't understand why he consistently fails to highlight his days as a community organizer (to attract lower income democrats into his pool).

One debate a week is an excessive request that should not be granted. If Hillary had the momentum she would not agree to any such deal.

February 7, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  21. Brahms Alexis

This election so far is getting to the point where it's even affecting my personal life because I pay to much attention to it. I find it unfortunate that Hillary is running out of money, I'm even surprise because I thought Obama would have had that problem first. So should we take this as a sign of who is the clear leader for the Democratic Party, but no matter who gets the nominee I really would love to see Obama and Clinton on the same ticket.

Barack Obama for President.

February 8, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. Brandon

this just reminds me how rich these people running are. It's what I hate about this particular candidate.

February 8, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. CP in Las Vegas

THIS IS WHY OUR COUNTRY IS SO SCREWED UP! PEOPLE POST SOME OF THE MOST NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT EACH OTHER CANDIDATES AND THEY LET THE MEDIA PUMP THEIR LITTLE BRAINS TO FUEL THE IGNORANCE. WHETHER ITS OBAMA OR CLINTON TO WIN THE NOMINATION, I WILL BE HAPPY. I'M A STRONG OBAMA SUPPORTER BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF HIS MESSAGE AND DRIVE TO BRING ABOUT A BETTER AMERICA, NOT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK, NOT BECAUSE OF HOW MUCH MONEY HE HAS RAISED, NOT BECAUSE HE HAS OPRAH...NONE OF THAT WILL MAKE ME VOTE FOR HIM. I WAS ABLE TO HEAR HIM SPEAK IN LAS VEGAS AND I WAS MOVED BY THE POWER OF HIS MESSAGE AND HIS VOICE FOR CHANGE. AS PEOPLE WE LOVE TO DOWNPLAY OTHERS TOO MUCH INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON WHAT THE TRUE MEANINGS ARE. UNLESS YOU ARE STANDING SIDE BY SIDE WITH THESE CANDIDATES AND SEEING HOW THEY LIVE THEIR LIVES AND THE HARD WORK THEY PUT INTO THEIR CAMPAIGNS, YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT THE COMMENTS YOU POST TO DOWNPLAY THE OTHER. POLITICS HAVE BECOME SO MESSED UP BECAUSE WE AS AMERICA PEOPLE MESS IT UP. WE GET CAUGHT UP IN ALL THE DRAMA SURROUNDING THE RACE WITH THE MEDIA AND LOSE TRACK ON WHY WE NEED A PRESIDENT TO RUN THIS COUNTRY. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! REALLY WAKE UP!!! WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO MAKE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT HILLARY AND OBAMA. AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU STILL HAVE YOUR OPINION, WHICH DOESN'T MATTER AND WE WILL HAVE A NEW PRESIDENT TO RUN THE COUNTRY WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT. NO ONE WILL EVER BE HAPPY WITH WHO WE PUT IN OFFICE AS LONG AS WE HAVE A PRESIDENTIAL RACE AND THATS A FACT! STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT WHO CAN AND CAN'T DO WHAT FOR THIS COUNTRY. STAND UP AND MAKE CHANGE FOR YOURSELF PEOPLE, STOP WHINNING ON SITES LIKE THIS, YOU SOUND WORTHLESS AS A PEOPLE. AND FOR ALL THE HILLARY SUPPORTERS, I REALLY HOPE YOU'RE VOTING FOR HER BECAUSE OF HER MESSAGE OF WHAT SHE CAN DO FOR THIS COUNTRY AND NOT BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN, NOT BECAUSE SHE IS THE WIFE OF BILL CLINTON, AND NOT BECAUSE ITS HISTORY TO SEE A WOMAN BE THE FIRST PRESIDENT. PLEASE VOTE FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS! I'LL BE THE FIRST ON HERE TO SAY GO OBAMA AND GOOD LUCK HILLARY!!! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING, GOD IS OUR BIGGEST CRITIC!

CP – Las Vegas

February 9, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  24. yougoHillary

Hillary Clinton will win the 2008 presidential election! She will put action above the rhetoric of her opponent and make this country honorable here and abroad.

CNN needs to be fair in their press coverage of the candidates. We are after all voting for the President of the US. Experience does matter; MOST COMPANIES WOULD AGREE!

Hillary Clinton for President.

February 10, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |