February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. kris

there's nothing wrong for having a loan...what's this all about CNN? another crap...

February 6, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. ForHillary

Come on people we need to donate to Hillary, she shouldn't have to loan her campaign money, if you can vote for her you should be able to donate to her campaign, she will need money to campaign in ohio and texas

February 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. Lourdes

Obama supporters are going to say this shows how desperate she is (it does) and Hillary supporters are going to claim that CNN is biased against the Clintons (they're not - this IS news...if it were Obama everyone would be ALL over it, claiming impending doom for his campaign).

February 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. Jeremy, Jacksonville Fl

She's in trouble, the longer the campaign the more trouble

February 6, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Mike

Hillary is able to get the diversity of the nation to vote. She doesn't see the country only in black and white. She is the only one experienced enough, determined enough, and smart enough to become president. She doesn't go half way on the issues she goes all the way. Health care for ALL!

HILLARY 08!

February 6, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Mike

Uh oh !!! her money's lookin' funny !!!!

Obama will continue to make it rain on them !!!

Obama in '08

February 6, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Adarrah for Obama

Seems like she the only person buying her candidacy.

OBAMA 08'

February 6, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Brian

"The Romney of the Democrats"

February 6, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Joe

Wow. To all Hillary supporters! STOP TALKING START DONATING!

February 6, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Jennifer

Hillary will do anything to get to that White House ! It is her turn to rule the country !!

Bush Snr Ruled, Bill Ruled, Bush Jnr Ruled, HILLARY MUST NOW RULE !!

This is how our democracy works !!

HILLARY WILL RULE !
    HILLARY MUST RULE !

Hillary 08

February 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Bukky

Ummm can she loan me 5 million?

February 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. Mr. T

I smell trouble. This is what happens when you go against a movement. The people win over special interest groups.

February 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Mike

I guess that no one else wants to contribute to her campaign.

I just sent another donation to Obama today.

February 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. MA

Maybe Bill Clinton will finally come clean on what foreign companies and countries are paying him millions of dollars a year since they now are funding his wife's presidential campaign.

February 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Stacy Clarks, Texas

Super Tuesday victory?!?! last time i checked, the race is neck and neck...let's not get ahead of ourselves clinton!

February 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. William from MA

Hillary:
    You have my vote and my contribution.

I know you will be the President of the United States of America. You are an inspiration and a great role model.

Keep up the fight. We are with you all the way....

February 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. maxm McGloin

Wow this is huge. The Clinton's money machine has already squeezed their donors and those of us supporting Obama are just waiting till payday to invest in our campaign.

I find it ironic that the Clintons are being outspent and out raised by someone with a far more ethical stance about donations. Not only did Obama raise 32 million in January he did it with donations from 270,000 new donors like myself.

The Clintons are running a campaign, Obama is leading a movement.

February 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Beth

Obama raises $32 million from mainly small donors, without taking money from lobbyists and PACs. Clinton takes that money, and still needs to fund herself. Is that democracy in action?

February 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. CHERYL

GOOD! THIS MEANS WE ARE READY TO GO HILLARY!!!!!! I AM SURE THAT YOU WILL RAISE WHAT YOU NEED NOW!!!!!! SINCE YOUR WIN!!!!! IT IS OFF TO OHIO AND PENNSYLVANIA! AND ALL OTHER STATES! WE CANNOT FORGET YOUR FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN WIN! HOW CONVENIENT OF CNN TO NOT MENTION THAT!!!!!!! AND YOU WILL GET OBAMA VOTES NOW I AM SURE! YOUR EXPERIENCE HAS PAID OFF! I AM THRILLED! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT DEBATE I THINK YOUR NUMBERS GO UP EVERY TIME! CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY!!!!!! VOTE FOR A WINNER---- VOTE HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. Patrick

And this is acceptable how?

Doesn't it go against all concepts of campaign finance reform? How do we know where Hillary's money came from? What's to stop some corporate interest from paying a candidate money for some service obstinately rendered, then having said candidate kick those funds into his or her campaign?

Totally unnacceptable.

February 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. Tim Moraca

HAH everyone who now donates to her will just be putting money into her pockets... does this mean she really only raised $8.5m last month? Pathetic. I donated to Obama again today, and will again this weekend and again next week. Obama will have another huge fund-raising month in February, and will sweep the next 7 states.

Our time is now.

February 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Mike, Cleveland, OH

Hey Howard way to spin it...what it actually means is that the Queen is out of campaign money. My guess is that Hillary's donors will hit the cap on political donations and the campaign will fizzle. Too bad though, she ran a good race.

February 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Karen

Let's Go Hillary....Come on Hillary supporters....DONATE. America will thank you when she is the next president!

February 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. pam,s.c.

wow this sounds like a problem for hillary ! gotta go and donate to obamas campaign

February 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. Mike

I wish Hillary all the best !!! She deserve to win a nomination.

February 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |