February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. nic

It should be illegal to make such a large donation to your own campaign – that provides wealthy citizens with an unfair advantage in seeking the Presidency. Obama's current net worth is estimated at $1.3 million, meaning he could not afford to do this if he had to. It's not fair.

And, how do Clinton's donors feel about their subsequent donations going directly to Mrs. Clinton's pocketbook as interest payments on this "loan"?!

February 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. pramod

Hillary is the best candidtae to lead this country forward. All MORON OBAMA FANS don't know what is at stake. They just want a feel good candidate. Feel good candidates can't put food on the table. Can't bring the jobs back. Can't provide health care for millions. Can't restore America's promises around the world. Cheap talk & speeches can't deliver what we need this time. We need a workoholic not speechoholic. When I look at OBAMA all I see is talk. When I look at Hillary I see experience & leadership.

February 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Mike, MD

This is a joke!! How can she be for people who make less than $50,000 a year!!

She is as crooked as a door to door salesman!! Why did she loan the money??

Why not give it to the campaign if she believes so strongly in herself!!

When you donated to her, it's going to pay off the loan!!!

GET OUT OF THE RACE AND LET CHANGE TAKE EFFECT!!!

February 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Karen

Of course Hillary 08, not Barack "hype" Obama.
    Change, but to what? We still could not learn that! Be serious, he is so lite weight.

February 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. JA Cook

>>Health care for ALL!

And garnish your wages if you can't afford it.

Go Bill and Hill!

Two presidents for the price of one and only one has to be held accountable.

Just imagine what Bill can accomplish in a third term free of constraints! He'll get that $5 mil back in no time.

February 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. gene

CNN just annouced some new totals. Hillary now wins by 250,000 to 300,000. Cafferty still need his rabies shot. I am worried that the other employees might be in danger. Now if Gloria was bitten she would just go into a tirade about that just proves that Clinton is not qualified to be President and it was a sure sign that it was going to cost her the men's vote.

February 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Ray - NJ

Before I just wanted Hillary to win and I was just giving her my vote. Now I'm going to FIGHT for her and give her my heart and as much money as I can. I already gave today and will give more Friday!!!!

I BELIEVE in her and WE need her!! We cant roll the dice with someone who just gives you some fancy speech. My children need better then that. Hillary, I will fight with you!!!! Obama thinks he has all your votes, but you cant get him. Well, Obama..you will NEVER have my vote. Its not that easy!!!

HILLARY 08!!!!

February 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. o. v. wong

To Proud Californian:

Your quote: "She doesn't go half way on the issues she goes all the way. Health care for ALL! "

Are you really sure you want to highlight that? Last time I check she couldn't explain her vote for the Iraq war or her vote to give the authority to Bush to invade Iran.

She also has been unable to say how to enforce the mandates in her Universal Healthcare plan. George from ABC News asked her THREE different times and she was unable to say how she would enforce it...until she finally said that "garnishing wages" could be a way to do it.

I think you should examine your posts and be careful in how you phrase things otherwise you look like a fool.

February 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Audrey from Chicago

I'm all for hillary including my vote and contributions!!!

February 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Tom

I just donated more money to Obama. Hillary has taken so much money from lobbyists. She is the establishment status quo candidate. I am an Independent and I wouldn't vote for any ticket with her on it. Democrats need to rally behind Obama who is the only viable choice.

February 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Fred, Washington DC

OBAMA-CLINTON 2008 TICKET...........I DO NOT THINK SHE HAS THE CROSSOVER APPEAL FOR THE PRESIDENCY SLOT AND HER FINANCIAL WOES PROVES IT, HOWEVER HER POLITICAL SAVVINESS IS A PLUS. LETS HOPE OBAMA PUSHES THIS AT THE NEXT DEBATE............OBAMA-CLINTON 08.

February 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Byron

Good job Hilary

I'll make a contribution today.

February 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Alex

I think it's noble that Hillary Clinton is putting her money where her mouth is. This is another example of how Obama talks the talk, but Hillary walks the walk.

February 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Gene

Rut Roh :-D

February 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. ted

So she set a goal to raise $1 mil/day over three days. Yippee.

Obama already raised over $1 mil/day over the entire month of January. ($32 mil over 30 days, or $1,032,000/day.)

That's like a sprinter setting a goal to run 100 meters at the same speed her competitor runs a marathon. Hardly an inspiring goal to set.

February 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. Dem of NJ

All Hillary supporters, we need help her. This is the epic battle between real democrats and phony democrats, between main stream democrats and extremists. We will win at the end.

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  17. player9

I have one song for Hillary

She ain't got no money in the bank
    She be walking 'round actin' all stank
    And now she at the party looking at me
    Hopin' she can get a vote from me
    I'm lookin at her like
    I ain't tryna vote for that girl
    I ain't tryna vote for that girl
    I ain't tryna vote for that girl
    She got her hand up but i tryna pay that girl

And Hillary, stop crying trying to get votes. YOU ARE THE PAST, WE WANT THE FUTURE!

OBAMA 08

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  18. Hillary is a goofball

Denis in NJ, what fortune are you talking about? You tell me who went to work for a law firm for 15 years after less than a year of "public" service? And then tell me who worked in the community after law school when he could of had any job in a law firm in the country? Enough said, you're done, thanks for playing! Bye

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. wag in ME

Go Hillary! Keep moving... We know you know what to do a month after you get in office...! :)

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Quinn - Houston, Texas

I'll see all of you Hillary supporters right here next Tuesday night. By then she will have lost 6-8 more states and a few hundred more delegates.

Her stronghold states are behind her now and time is on Obama's side. The more people get to know him, the more they like him.

I say no more debates. It's a trick. Don't let Billary's broke butt get free TV time!

Yes We Can!
    Obama 08!

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. pramod

Most of the OBAMA donations came from college kids. They don't care, they didn't have to work hard for that money .When they run out they can just ask their Mommy & Daddy for more.

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. Donna

Why should Obama raise money? The amount of free airtime and unfair and BIASED coverage of the media is unreal! I am a republican sickened by how CNN and other BIASED stations are drooling over an inexperienced candidate. By the way, Hillary won more than a "handfull" of delegates last night,

February 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. John

Hillary please give up now,we don't need your old 'pay per view' politics...

Obama '08

February 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Dolores

By the way Tom, if you think Obama hasn't taken money from lobbyists, perhaps you should take a second look.

February 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Happy

How will Hillary borrowing her own money – affect obtaining government matching funds? Next time she is short of money – she should ask her staff to volunteer a couple of days and oh yea FIRE Terry McAuliffee for total HUMILIATION!

February 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |