February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. stewart in l.a.

Honestly, I am starting to question my plans to vote Democrat in the general election after reading the attacks on Clinton. I voted for McCain once in a primary, and just might do it again if the Democrats continue to mud-sling in this way. I like both Obama and Clinton, but increasingly the Obama supporters are turning me off to their candidate by the hate-filled rhetoric they write.

February 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Barbara

Hillary bashers all over this board – no surprise (I suspect a lot of you are Republican Clinton Haters trolling the board). You people must spend most of your days looking for places to spew your irrational hate of her. Are your lives really that boring and sad? Senator Clinton had my vote on Tuesday and will have it again in November; and the more I read these immature kinds of comments that appear on boards like this, the earlier I want to be at the polls. Lending her own money to her campaign shows a great deal of courage and committment – and look at the amount of money she WILL NOT have to pay back to special interests – as opposed to Mr. Obama who must already have the folks on K Street lining up at his door. If you remember, he does have a lobbiest on his campaign payroll, at the same time saying he wouldn't deal with lobbiests. (That was one of the reasons I decided against him). The other reason was when he started singing the praises of Ronald Regan. The fact that that statement doesn't at least cause Democrats to take a step back from Obama with some some concern really baffles me. People who jump on someone's bandwagon simply because he gives touchy-feely speeches is not the mark of an educated person. Go Hillary!

February 6, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. rafael

to proud californian,scott,dennis and the rest of billarys puppets, the only thing she is up against is the esqueletons in her and bills closet, and the other blue dresses out there.... experience? what a joke!!! exactly what experience? seating on the wallmart board, wife of a governor,wife of a president?

February 6, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Ann

Please....two words for you Obama supporters...."McCain Democrats."

Seems like a nice guy, seems like a smart guy and certainly gives a good speech but no way prepared for what will face him in the white house (maybe that's why the endorsement? – he'll sure need experienced dems around him in the Oval Office0.

He has absolutely no experience in dealing with complex foreign policy. Can you imagine him sitting across from Putin or Musharaff? Think he'll "inspire" them to quit their mischief? Scares me to death.

Absolutely no understanding (how could he?) with the complex levers of the economy.

Entering a recession, competing with China, losing influence in all parts of the world – let's select someone who has been in the legislature at the national level for 3 years. Logically/rationally – does that make any sense at all? No, it doesn't.

I am a lifelong democrat and have never voted for a Republican for any level office but if Obama is the nominee, I will vote for McCain (remember Reagan Democrats – we'll have McCain Democrats in hordes with an Obama nomination) simply because I couldn't, in good conscience, turn our country over to such untested hands in such perilous times.

Let's hope her $5 m and the money I and others gave her today gets her to the nomination!

Go Hillary!

February 6, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. Ryan

Politico is estimating her net worth at $60 MILLION DOLLARS!!! Where the heck do you get 60 mil from after spending 35 years in the public sector? Bill's memoir sales were pretty good and he does make quite a bit of money from going around and giving speeches, but come on. $60 million???

Something's a little shady here.

February 6, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. Bulu, Lafayette, Indiana

Obama is the cadidate of the wine-sipping affluent liberals. Obama's judgement is also questionable. He goes after losers like Kerry and Ted Kennedy. Look what their endorsements have done. Imagine the republican ads in October showing Obama hugging Kerry and Teddy. Do you still believe that he has a chance to win in November? Kerry lost an election in 2004 which only he could lose. He was totally inept. I do not want a team of losers to represent me any more. Obama will not get more than 40% of the votes in November. The liberals actually want to destroy the democratic party so that they can have a republican as a president who can continue to give them their tax breaks.

February 6, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. jack

OBAMA JUST EMPTY SLOGANS,
    ITS THE FACT
    PEOPLE WAKE UP,

February 6, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  8. pam Eugene OR

Obama's net worth is $1.3 million including his home. He is by far and away the poorest of all of them. The Clintons are worth about $40 million.
    I am sorry that Hillary is running out of money. How can she handle economy of this county if she can't manage her own funds. She is lucky to have a spare $5 million laying around.
    HUMMM I think I will send another $50 to Barack.

February 6, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Gaylon Barrow

HILLARY SUPPORTERS DON'T MAKE THIS WOMAN PAY FOR HER CAMPAIGN TO HELP US. CONTRIBUTE, $5.00, $15,00 $20. $500.00 OR WHATEVER YOU CAN AFFORD TO HER CAMPAIGN. Stop Obama and his unworthy attacks. Do it now.

February 6, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  10. Charlotte

OOPs thats X$100.00 thats still a lot of money from poor folks. Maybe black people are better off then we thought.

February 6, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  11. Jeff

Notice that she LOANED her campaign that money. It wasn't a gift. So you small donors out there are just sending money that will be put back into Hillary Clinton's personal bank account when she refunds her "investment".

February 6, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  12. Mel

Clinton is baiting Obama to a weekly debate because she has no money left to pay for her campaign; now she's looking for free air time. If I were Obama, I wouldn't take the bait.

February 6, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. Jim in the Boonies

Let me see. Two months ago she was "the inevitable". Obama was the upstart asterisk. Now he's raising $32 million, and she's making bad loans. Somebody pinch me !

February 6, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. ForHillary

If you are for Hillary, please donate to her campaign instead of whining about Obama, ignore Obama and his supporters, please, please, please, donate .... if you can vote for her, you should be able to donate to her campaign instead of her having to take her personal wealth to finance her campaign

February 6, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  15. Carrie

Hillary has spent her life working for others. She has been working for human rights for 35 years. She can beat the Republicans – which is why you hear every R saying how afraid they are of Obama. They are helping him gain popularity, hoping that Democrats will do their job for them. Hoping we'll beat Clinton in the primary because they know they cannot in the general!

Republicans are saying (to borrow their words) "republicans pray every night that they don't have to run against Obama" Allow me to translate this Carl Rove speaking point. "Attention ALL Democrats, if we can convince you to nominate Obama, we're in good shape to win!"

The way I figure it, Obama's 120+ "present" votes will provide enough ammo for the Republicans to "swiftboat" him with a new negative message every day for moer than 4 months.

Hillary Clinton has withstood 16 years of attacks by Republicans and they can't touch her.

And those of you who are critical of money from lobbbyist may enjoy reading the eithics reporting from Obama's exploratory PAC he's accepted and used the money.

I like Obama. I admire Hillary's achievements and vision for our country and know that she will be the best nominee for our party and our country.

February 6, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. Janice - Redondo Beach, CA

I just donated money to Hillary's Campaign.

Hillary is the best choice!

February 6, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  17. Karen

The Obama phenom is a bit too much like mob mentality for my comfort and I'm really tired of CNN's constant smear campaign against Hillary. She is leading in delegates and she will be President in 2009. Obama might make a good VP.

February 6, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  18. Chicgoean

I am donating to Hillary, Again!!!
    Clinton's in the White House!!! Clinton's in the White House!!!

February 6, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. Ann

I happened to tune in to CNN and heard Obama after Super Tuesday's results and I heard these words " It is 'our' time." I thought this race was not about gender or race, and he just made it about race! I wish someone would bring this to the publics' attention and make sure everyone hears his words. They really need to hear him say them, so they know HE IS MAKING THIS CAMPAIGN ABOUT RACE!!!
    It made my stomach turn when I heard this. I was raised in Colorado and I was color blind, and could care less about peoples skin color, but when I heard that, I was horrified, that he of all people would say that on national tv. There is no other explanation for that comment. Shame on Obama, Shame on him.

February 6, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. End the Bush/Clinton Legacy

Reality check for you Billary supporters: I am a Republican that is voting for Obama. I recognize that our country needs change–fresh insight–and he's the one to bring it. I would NEVER, NEVER vote for Hillary. No Republican ever would.

So here's a tip from someone who is actually going to cross over to the other side: if you want a Democrat in the white house, vote for Obama. He is MUCH more palatable to Independents and Republicans. Use your brains, people. Hillary is DEEPLY disliked by many, and would only bring more uncertainty to your ability to win this election.

February 6, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. ben

How can you loan yourself money?
    Does this mean Romney can deduct his millions as proof of a bad investment?
    What kind of interest is Hillary going to pay herself?
    Too bad she doesn't have all the support from little people like Obama has.

February 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Brian

Where does Obama get his cash? How about Rezko, the corrupt Chicago landlord that has supported him for decades and who was ARRESTED two weeks ago. No wonder Judicial Watch called Obama the most corrupt U.S. Senator in 2007–look it up, folks. Those of you on the Obama bandwagon who had never even HEARD of him 4 months ago need to take a closer look at the new slim SHADY.

February 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. Joe

Well I am donating the max to Clinton .... She carried the states democrats carry in a general election .... Obama unfortunately carried states that will sway Republican in the general .. so he is not as electable as her .. sorry to say. By the way at the very beginning of this I was for Obama .... but considering the fact that every day it becomes more of a racial campaign because of the steps Obama is taking in that direction .... I don't like it.

I don't like he is taking Money from special interests when he stands on that pulpit and says he doesn't take PAC monies ..... what a bold faced Liar. He is as much the status quo as any candidate of either party ...

I cannot in good conscience vote for a man who is critical of someone for doing exactly what he is doing ... and for that reason I will be voting Republican if he some how pulls it off.

February 6, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  24. Ed

Clinton and Romney can use their own money in an effort to gain (some might say "buy") the White House, but, politics aside, I prefer candidates who are supported by numberous contributions of the people, such as Obama and Huckabee.

If we truely want a change from politics as usual, the White House should not be for sale to the person with the largest personal fortune.

February 6, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  25. Tyler

Is she going to charge her campaign interest?

February 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |