February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Mike

DON'T BE FOOLED BY HILLARY AGAIN
    This is another form of Hillary crying. She may be running low on cash, but she could have released this information last month. She is furious that Obama won almost twice as many states as she did and she will now CRY BROKE to get some money....

Obama 08

February 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. vickiigou

I am sending some more money...I hope all of you that support her do the same...She is about change...she has made changes...most for the better...Overwhelming the black people are supporting Obama, it's sad to see the White people aren't supporting Hillary as viciously...she is the candidate that has a proven record...

February 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. J. McCaskill, MS

Hillary Clinton will prevail. Others will make thousands of donations to put a seasoned, experienced, and accountable candidate in the White House, which is Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama has done nothing but divide the party along racial lines. Many are voting for him simply because he is black and that is a drastic mistake. This is a black citizen who will be casting an educated vote and who have just donated to the Clinton campaign. Hope + EXPERIENCE = Change.

Hillary Clinton for President 2008

February 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. LeftyLadig

Obama is what this country needs right now. His campaign is being financed by ordinary citizens who, for way too long, have not had representation. We are sending Obama what we can afford, we are investing in our future. HE IS US and
    WE ARE ALL FIRED UP, READY TO GO.

February 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. Ron, NJ

The engines on the Clinton machine are smoking and it's loosing altitude!!

go OBAMA!!

February 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. Rosa Peralta. San Antonio. Texas

Real talk
    You don't have to identify yourself. Your comment is a reflection of your brain. It has shrunk for and what ever you have left is filled with hate.

February 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. PB in Rhody

It's great to see that she is committed (of course, if you watch her hunger for power you already knew that) but what about voters being committed? Another check with my name is on its way to Sen. Obama. I know the money will go to the right cause that way.

February 6, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. Richard, CA

I have donated $100 to Clinton's Campaign. We are already half-way there within less than 12 hours. Yes, $3M for 3 days, piece of cake!!!

Clinton'08

February 6, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  9. Janet

I just donated to Obama again and I am no where near the limit. I could do this every week!

February 6, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  10. HAHAHAHA

Sorry Hillary, times are tough and I just made another donation to OBAMA!!!!!! This was a good laugh though. HAHAHAHAHA!

February 6, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. JM, Orange County, CA

Brian, I hope it's just that your not too bright and not that your a bold-faced liar. I just looked at the website for Judicial Watch... entered a search for Obama and sure enough, up popped an article entitled "Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians” for 2007. So I click on it and what do I see?

#1 on the list – Hillary Rodham Clinton

Sure Obama made the list... at #8, following Rudy Giuliani at #5 and Mike Huckabee at #6.

Also, I'd take anything that conservative rag says with a huge grain of salt.

Get your facts straight, learn some reading comprehension or stop LYING to people.

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. mimi

Ooo my God Hillary has to buy power,this woman has a sick husband who is on the road campaigning for her,that is why God is paying her back,the world needs change, and the media knows that America needs change,we love you cnn.No more undemining Americans,my $ 25 toObama 08

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Trevor Onishenko

How can this not reflect on how she would mismanage any other budget? Say, perhaps, that of the United States government. I wonder if three years down the line she and her husband would cough up $5 billion to bail them out then? Not likely – I would suggest that burden will be on the Joe and Jane Taxpayer.

Here's a thought on the spending habits of those in power and the people not holding them responsible. "Hello my young loving son and daughter, have a seat. Remember those trips to Hawaii your mother and I took every year at Christmas? Well, thanks – here's the credit card bill from the Bank of China – we have transferred the account onto your names. We're moving to live comfortably in Florida on our monthly Social Security checks – Love you! Stay in touch"

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. j.r.

Just donated to Hillary, RUN HILLARY RUN.....as for her needing the money, she doesn't get 14 hours a day of free air time...I sure did like to see all the pundits last night when CA and MA came in for her....where did the Kennedy, Kerry and Oprah backing get him....NO WHERE....as for Oprah, she has told me what books and shampoo to purchase for years...but she will not try and purchase my vote

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Abner Mejia

YES WE CAN? Is it not a Mexican slogan? What is that suppose to mean? You are all beginning to sound like ilegals now!

February 6, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  16. Derek

Brian,

Obama got his January cash from over 270,000 individual contributors. Its a movement man. The only slim shady in this election is Slick Willie.

But don't be bitter, just get used to the fact that the smart money is on Obama. Look at Intrade, which is an election market where people put their money where their mouth is. Obama is favored 53% to 47% for Clinton. He's up over ten points since yesterday and shes down over ten points.

The pendulum has swung and I'm glad, because Obama has a much better chance of beating McCain in the fall.

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Jeff

How much money came from Oprah in backing Sen. Obama?

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. kim

I'm giving 100.00 today and as much as I can. If you painted Obama white he'd be the SnowBama man.... and he does NOTHING for me no matter what color he is. His back ground is slim and there are far better VP candidates out there for Hillary.

Hillary 08!

February 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  19. Deb

I, too, am a long-time Republican who will probably be voting for Obama this fall and will cross over in the primary to vote for him. I think it is obvious that Hillary is in big trouble when she cannot even raise half of what Obama raised in January. Good riddance, HillBilly!

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. Sonya

Are all of you nuts? Obama got most of his money form Oprah,and he is just saying what Oprah tells him to. Her writers probably write his campaign speeches. He will owe her and others big time IF he gets the nomination. All you Obama supporters better beware!
    GO HILLARY!!
    She will prevail.

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. aware

Obama=Control; Hillary=Service

Hillary 08

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  22. Homer

Maybe Fox Noise donated to Hillary when she agreed to go on their fair and balanced network to have a debate. She will do anything to get elected. I bet she talked Carl Rove into being her brain. It worked for W.

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. Frank

I think it's very telling that Hillary "loaned herself" the money rather than giving it to the campaign. That means, for all of you thinking about donating to Hillary: you're just helping her pay herself back. At the end of the day she's going to take $5 million that people have donated to her and put it back in her personal account. How sweet.

February 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  24. Michael in CA

Thank you Donna, you summed it all up! As for all the people who have donated to Obama and voted for him, it is interesting what the exit polls have shown. If you make under $50,000.00 you went for Clinton. I guess those who have enough money can donate all they want but for the ones with little money spend freely, they know Clinton cares for them! Yes, I am one of them and I have donated what little I make to her!

HILLARY!! HILLARY!! HILLARY!!

February 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. Shawn

he gets it from people like us, try reading the news more and you would see that all money donated by Rezko was donated to charity.

if you notice all of the republican canidates keep speaking out against Billary because her crap stinks but they dont say anything about obama.

now if we can just get ALL of the news sources to report the right delegate count instead of being all over the board......

Go Obama!! we need someone other than a Clinton or Bush in the white house!!!!
    and you can check the history its been 30 years......

February 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |