February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. s.positive

BRIAN, stop writing like an illiterate , is your blog factual or have you also been infected by the spin and lies from you know who...

February 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. Nancy, Dallas TX

I just donated to Hillary's campaign – my first ever political donation.

She is the most impressively credentialed candidate to run for president in a very long time.

Her opponent is a gas-bag with a following of groupies.

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. Sandra

This just goes to show that Hillary will do and say anything to win. Be honest, it is not a loan. When is she paying herself back? The next five million she raises? This tells me Hillary is not in favor of campaign finance reform.

February 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  4. Nancy

It appears to me this is yet another plea for sympathy. Poor Hillary needs more money! Maybe she should add some tears for added effect. The Democratic establishment hopefully will come to recognize that rank and file Democrats want a true leader. They want one who can unify and create real change. Not lip service. All Hillary can do is use the usual old tricks. It is so transparent. Please people wake up. Vote Obama.

February 6, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. Nancy TC

Hillary:
    You have my vote! The people of America will come through for you.

I have made my contribution. Even though it is less than I wanted, at least you know we are with you.

You have shown me you will win this nomination and won the most important states last night.

February 6, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  6. av3

brian

rezko donated money to hillary too. and obama's supposed scandals are miniscule when compared to the CLINTONS (cattle futures, vince foster, travelgate, filegate, the list goes on) they are the definition of SHADY

i cant believe you actually listen to that judicial watch bs.

February 6, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. Amy, Kazoo

Oh good heavens, mimi, it's not God paying her back. that's asinine. That's like saying God caused Katrina to get back at some evil doers. hogwash.

February 6, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. Dynisay

CNN PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE POST THIS

PEOPLE NEED TO READ THIS.

A few questions here:

1- Why did Clinton wait until AFTER Super Tuesday to announce this?

Answer, she would have lost a few votes if she did. Perfect timing.

2- How is she going to strategically finance the country as a president, when she can't even successfully finance her ow campaign as a candidate?

Thats when your taxes shall be increased instead of being cut.

3- Who, exactly, is paying for this loan?

This is not a "loan", she is trying to BUY her way into office, makes you wonder what her motive is.

OOPS!

I think I just answered all the questions.

OBAMA IS THE REAL DEAL!

PS: I just made another donation to the Obama campaign.

February 6, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  9. Anonymous

I would also like to know why Obama is not being scrutinized like all the other Candidates? I have not made up my mind, but I must agree with Donna on her comment and Brian. I'm starting to hear these things about Obama and all the news stations are looking the other way. If this were Hilary, John Mccain, or any other person running for this lands higest office the media would have been ripped into this long ago. I don't know anything about Obama. WHY?

February 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Jake

Eric

It is typical that the candidate with less name recognition HAS to spend more money. Hillary Clinton is known by everyone and Obama is less known especially where he has not campaigned before. Hillary has campaigned in all these places with her husband. The same goes for Mitt Romney, as a governor his name recognition is regionalized. So he too, must spend more to familiarize himself with the national public.

Liz
    Regular people are having fundraising events all the time. I know in Illinois people are usually willing to contribute, even if it is just a little. That adds up when it is millions of people. You can look up where campaign donations are coming from you don't have to guess impropriety.

February 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. Christina

Barack Obama should answer to the Larry Sinclair allegations. The people deserve to know before they vote.

February 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. Lisa Salt Lake City, Utah

Hillary spent all of her money on her acting lessons. I sure hope it isn't her speech/drama coach who is recommending that she points her finger at random people in the crowd (one to the left, one in the middle, and one to the right) and then give a creepy smile with her eyes open exaggeratedly as if their were toothpicks keeping them open as she nods her head like a bobble head. It really looks creepy, and isn't helping her any.

February 6, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  13. s.positive

You Hillary supporters, better go borrow and help your leader as she's in real big financial trouble…

February 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Obama speaks the TRUTH

Obama gets his money from his supporters, the normal everyday people like myself. Small donations from LOTS of people. Unlike Hillary, who has a small amount of people that are all maxed out. Its pretty funny that she has 5 mill of her own money that she will "loan" herself, and yet she is begging her blue collar supporters to GIVE her their money. Pretty sad! And Omabas camp just said that they have raised 2.2 mill in the last 24 hours, so it looks like he will be spanking Hillary again when it comes to finances. You Hillary people just don't get it. She is only in this for herself and her cronies. Too bad she won't win. Obama is sweeping the nation!
    OBAMA 08

February 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  15. A Johnson

What puzzles me is this: eight years ago Hillary and Bill were crying "poor" after having lived on the public payroll for their entire lives. Now she can loan herself $5 million. Just goes to show you how much our public servants really glean from holding offfice. If she were a Republican, someone would be launching an investigation.

February 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. KristenforHillary

It is unfortunate that so many of us suffering the most from the harshness of this economy are Hillary supporters and cannot afford to contribute much. I donated $20 because I know she can turn this country around and will continue to contribute as much as possible until she wins the nomination! I urge all Hillary supporters to do the same!
    Go Hillary!

February 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. oyboy

I wonder if the $3 million is to pay for the interest on that loan?

February 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. Al

I just looked up "Judicial Watch". It's a self-described "non-partisan" and "conservative" rag. Its "Ten Most Corrupt Politicians" list, published last December, included major Democratic figures Clinton, Obama, Pelosi and Reid among others. To appear impartial, they also threw Giuliani and Huckabee under the bus, as well as "dead man walking" Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho, he of the "wide stance" in a men's room stall. I suspect they didn't bother to go after McCain because at publication time he wasn't considered serious competition to their boy Mitt.

Lending personal money to a campaign is a common and legal practice and many political figures in both parties do it, sometimes to find an entire campaign and sometimes as a short-term tide-over. Such a loan gets paid off LAST; the only advantage of calling it a loan rather than a donation is that if it never gets paid back it CAN be written off as a business loss. Again, nothing illegal and people from both parties do it.

February 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. Bill, Chicago, IL

Chris B February 6, 2008 4:44 pm ET

"Wow Clinton… how did you manage to bank $5 million after your "lifetime" of public service experience? I didn't know the Children's Defense Fund paid so much. Oh wait, 10 of your "35 years" was "experience" as a partner for a private law firm. For shame."

I believe they said Hillary's net worth is actually around $38 million (or was before the loan). Not bad for such a dedicated servant of the people...

February 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. aware

Obamites are helping BO buy votes! Its kind of like some religious institutions getting rich in bucks and power by taking tithes from their consumers. All politicans and many preachers do it but not too many invest their own money.

Hillary 08

February 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  21. Progressive

I just donated $40 more to Obama for America. Educate yourself and join the movement.....

February 6, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Chris

Really, people need to stop treating Hillary like she is Britney Spears. If she wants to loan money like every other ordinary person and be a little broke let her. I am probley the only guy that will see no gender or race as a reason for hillary not to run for president. People got to stop hating hillary and understand that one or the other candidate is better then another republican like Mc Cain in the white house. This is not a popularity contest! This is a national presidental election and we need someone who can run the country. Many of us take out loans and clinton is no diffrent. Republicans will be taking loans in a few months probley. If she gives up then her campaign was a waste of hard working months. Put your-self in her shoes and understand that she will do anything to keep going. It's not like she loves to take loans, she probley had a month or so to think about it. I look at obama as an alternative but any person is better then another bush wanna be.

February 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Rman

Voters should support the candidates..... I don't want to see especial individual interests making too much impact. (Imagine if it was possible for Bill Gates or any other person to give $50million or more to a canditate?). Lets see fairness and equality in politics! The majority should have the power.

February 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  24. Prakaithip

On The Job Training President, it could happen.... only in America!
    Shhhhh... Hillary is ahead. Maybe it won't happen.

February 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  25. Nate

I hope she's got a good interest rate because she's gonna have to pay it back without that president salary.

February 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |