February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Latinos for OBAMA

Wow! The Obama campaign has raised $6,447,000 all from DONORS just since last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOBAMA!!!

VIVA OBAMA!!!

February 7, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  2. D

I am personally VERY SHOCKED at the obviously blantant sexism I saw while sitting up all night watching CNN…
    Every time Obama won a state, it was HUGE PRAISE and tons of it too heaped on him ..
    When Hillary won , they tried to figure out WHY she won, and what it meant to Obama..........
    The CAST of "pundits" seemed to get more and more caught up in it as the night went on…..
    When the "Pundits" keep PRAISING and making special NOTE of Obama getting 80% of the african american vote over and over ... arent they playing the race card ???
    The only people I noticed who tried to keep the PUNDITS away from racism and sexism were LOU DOBBS and ANDERSON COOPER …Bravo guys …
    I know some of you cant stand the IDEA of a FEMALE president ,
    but please …..keep it to yourselves …….. it was SHOWING BAD last night … very BAD …….
    I love my PARTY and will support whoever wins my PARTY …
    But please be FAIR "GENTLEMEN" and keep your personal ideas and feelings at HOME ….
    I watched this go on AND on …on FOX … but we all EXPECT it from them …
    NOT CNN…

February 7, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  3. Chuck

I guess this Obama guy is the ultimate beneficiary of affirmative action ran amock. Have anybody checked whether he got to where he is (Princeton, Harvard, Harvard Law Review, etc) via affirmative action, set-asides or something similar? If nobody have checked so far, maybe the McCain people will (or should).

February 7, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  4. ed

I think this is a good time to investigate how hillary and bill have made so much money. Obviously, people are questioning that and would be interested to know. Quite Frankly, that information would likely end Hillary's campaign. So please, CNN or any other major news source, please investigate Hillary's 40 million net worth and let us know exactly how she has that much money with 35 yrs of public service?

February 7, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  5. IVAN

IF YOU WANT REAL CHANGE, YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS. ITS TIME TO LOOK AT THINGS THROUGH A WOMENS PIONT OF VIEW.

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT

February 7, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  6. mona

“I have no doubt that I can get the people who vote for Senator Clinton. … It’s not clear that Senator Clinton can get all the people I’m getting,” This is the most racist and sexist remark thus far in this campaign. In other words, if Clinton loses, the majority of her women supporters will vote for me but If I lose, my supporters black people and men will not vote for her. It’s too bad because the reality is if Hillary made this statement everyone would be all over it like flies.

February 7, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  7. Dutchboy52

Wake up and smell the coffee, no finance, no romance, America is falling in love with Obama, and why don't the rest of you stop playing hard to get and come aboard. Please save your money Hillary for 2016.

February 7, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. D

One more thing .. was reading some of the comments in here...
    And WOW ... you can tell many of the responders are REPUBLICANS and not Democrats .....Why ? The latest POLLS show 71 to 72 percent of ALL Democrats would be HAPPY with EITHER OBAMA or HILLARY ........
    It is the STRENGTH and NUMBERS of Democrats Voting the GOP and its followers are afraid of in this election ..............
    There will be a DEMOCRAT leading this NATION

Hillary / Barack Barack / Hillary either or .... WE WIN !!!!!

February 7, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  9. lala

I just donated 100 to Hillary . Do you think that Obama had his money for poor people. Give me a break!!!.
    The only thing that I see here is a divided democratic party that is sad because that's mean tha we going to have another 4 year of Bush II.
    So be ready to be a III world country.

February 7, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  10. ed

1 more thought – i wonder if she donated any money to the towns that were ravaged by tornadoes yesterday?

February 7, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  11. Don

Obama SUPPORTERS (read: others, not oneself) have donated 6.5 million in ONE DAY! As stated before, special interests groups cannot compete with a movement.

February 7, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  12. lolo

go hillary go!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  13. autumnheard

There is nothing wrong with giving a loan. She will get a lot of more donations as she won major primaries. If Obama is norminated, most likely MC will get CA, believe or not. CNN should be more fair to Hilary as CNN is totally anti-hilary and pro-obama, which is totally wrong.

February 7, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  14. drz, San Francisco, CA

I made another donation to Obama this morning. Since the polls closed on Feb. 5. Obama supporters have donated over $6.5 million! That was raised in about 24 hours. Simply incredible.

We now have a movement of over 650,000 donors. I am amazed and inspired by the yearning for a new direction for America.

February 7, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  15. Inga

In most countries elections are a very serious event , Candidates get judged by their stands on issues and yes.., experience.
    Reading some of these juvenile and mean spirited comments , one would think that Americans just don't get it.
    Endorsements are a side show and as for money , every candidate should have more or less the same amount to spend.
    I have yet to find out what all this talk about " change " and " yes we can " is all about . Empty words...!!!

February 7, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  16. autumnheard

change can be either bad or good change. The person who keeps saying "Yes, we can" may not have the capability to make good change. We need a solid plan rather than empty words like "we need change", "yes we can". It is sad to see that so many people are impressed by words, not by the capability and solid ideas.

February 7, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  17. Devon, Rochester, NY

First off, donating/lending/whatever-you-want-to-call-it money to your campaign does not make you in trouble, it does not make you crooked, and it certainly doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. If you look at the majority of the people supporting Clinton, you'll see that they're generally lower income people. I would absolutely LOVE to have the money to throw at her campaign, but I don't because I'm a college student living on a limited budget. Yes, believe it or not, there ARE younger AND educated people supporting Hillary regardless of what some people here seem to imply. So if she is doing as well as she is with votes and support over the last month with less money to spend then I would consider her to be a stronger candidate. She seems to certainly be doing well on issues and in debates.

Secondly, Why does everyone think that Obama can bring about the change that is needed? He is always talking about change, but the problem is has he really shown he's capable of bringing about that change? He's relatively new to Washington politics, so he (likely) doesn't have as many political connections as Clinton. He's not as well known in the world as she is for sure, and I think that her well-liked standing in the world is something we're going to need to repair the damage that has been done over the last eight years.

I can certainly recognize his speeches as "inspiring", but you need more in a candidate than that to bring about change. Hillary was talking about change long before Barack's campaign started overusing the word. Change and experience are not things that have to be taken into consideration separately. And as far as I'm concerned you need to be experienced in the way things work in order to be able to make that change. I'm not sure why Hillary Clinton has been made out to be some terrible human being or politician by those who oppose her, but I think it's an unfair judgement. Is it because she's a strong woman? I certainly hope that's not the case, but unfortunately this race has become more about race and gender than it should have so I'm starting to wonder about the answer to that question.

I don't usually comment on these, but for some reason at the late hour that I'm sitting here reading this I felt the need to do so. I'm not sure whether to call it being tired, or just being fed up with the mud slinging fest that is the Democratic party this month. Likely both, and mostly the latter.

February 7, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  18. Caroline Orr

You insult me to say that Clinton voters are uneducated. I do have a college education. My spouse also has a degree.

The reason that Obama has the following he has is that they all are young and have the idea that somehow if he is elected they will acquire jobs that pay and they will not have to work. Therefore they can continue to party and hang onto drugs.

February 7, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  19. j

dos anyone knows when is the new episode of the desperate white house wife on tv

February 7, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  20. Joseph, LA, CA

If Clinton had outspent Obama, the press would say she bought the votes.
    If Clinton claims that she can get those who voted for Obama to unite behind her, but she's not sure if Obama could get those who backed her to unite behind him, the press would say that she is divisive.
    If Clinton's camp won the caucuses handily as Obama did, the press would say, "See, watch the political machine at work."
    If after getting the endorsement of the LA Times, and she fails to carry the city of Los Angeles, and gets whallopped in California when polls showed her to be running neck and neck with Obama, the press would say that the momentum has clearly swung the other way.
    If Clinton were behind in the polls by 20 points 2 months ago, and spent millions of dollars in California to arrive at a statistical tie in polls, and got endorsements of the LA Times and the Kennedys (who were supposed to significantly impact the Latino vote), and still lost by almost 10 points, the press would call it a disastrous loss after spending so much money.
    If Obama were the one who won Florida and Michigan's beauty contests, and needed those delegates to win, the press would scream voter suppression.

So Clinton has more delegates committed, but might lose because Obama has more money to spend. What was the message of change all about? That more money could buy more votes for Obama? That sounds like building a political machine that would deliver votes.

Was the change that Obama was referring to all about change, as in money? Sounds like the same old politics.

February 7, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  21. rob

soon there will be a political ticker....Hillary filing for bankruptcy.

February 7, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  22. jerzee gal in florida

Billary supporters making excuses, not surprised. Obama I'm going on your site to donate right now. YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  23. Anonymous

I'm shocked to hear that.

February 7, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  24. Just Me

It is unfortunate that Hillary is having to work so diligently to rally financial support for her campaign. I wonder how many of these supporters, who clearly cannot afford to fund their "pipe-dream" healthcare plan, will incur penalties when they can't afford to pay for it either.

P.S. I'd really like to know more about the legitimacy of this move. If she loaned her campaign that money, when will she get it back? Is any new money coming in having to go to her? When is the deadline for her to re-collect?

February 7, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  25. Lucas

Hillary-ous. Go fund yourself.

February 7, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |