February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. jerzee gal in florida

Florida Dem, I for one agree with Obama, I would never vote for her but managed to get my entire family who never votes to go and vote for Obama, Even my Clinton loving husband. Go with the movement, were not close-minded, were finally standing up against the status quo, so I think your close minded to go with the same old sameold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 03:14 am at 3:14 am |
  2. Dick Pittenger

Hillary won states which always go Democratic. Obama won red states by overhwelming margins. She won her adopted home state of NY, adjacent NJ, and Ca., where the Clinton machine has been operating for 15 years. Only adjusting expectations downward concealed the fact that the only states she won were expected, including her other adopted home state of Arkansas, and the immediately adjacent states still riding the Clinton bandwagon, as well as Ma..
    Bill Clinton never renounced the immoral and drastic tax cuts of Ronald Reagan, and neither has Hillary.
    I still insist, the only way to return to our Democratic roots is to eliminate income taxes on the first $50,000. Levy a 40% minimum tax on income over $50,000. Since first $50,000 is exempt, taxes would be reduced on income up to $330,000. Return to a progressive income tax as follows: 50% over $500,000; 60% over $1 Million; 70% over $3 Million; 80% over $5 Million; 90% overe $10 Million.
    I'm sick of hearing the Republican Party is opposed to taxes, while Democrats are the party of Tax and Spend. The Republicans hav become the party of Spend and Borrow.
    Let us reclaim our Democracy, which has historically equated with a progressive income tax.

February 7, 2008 03:14 am at 3:14 am |
  3. Chicagoan

Hi,Everybody!I just joined the Movement,donated 25$.And I feel myself very good .
    I feel that I did my little part of the job of getting rid of lobyests and other
    "corporate America crap".
    I actually was inspired to do so after reading this news.Good news.I think it's important to outrun Clintons financially right now.So corporates won't even try to compete with the people,I hope they understand that they will lose their money if give to Hillary.
    To Hillary supporters(especially young people):Stop bashing Obama.If Hillary wins(I guess not) I Will vote for her.Don't you see that Obama is not only a good candidate-he is a phenomenon?
    Only few month ago where was Hillary and where was Obama?And now Obama is UNSTOPABLE!And he's going to Destroy Grandpa who wants to stay in Iraq for 150 years and doesn't have an enough support within his own party!
    So if Clintons are "running out if gas" join Obamas' camp!And trust me guys-you will be proud of him and yourselfes.
    Go to barackobama.com and check it out(just take a look at music video of "Yes,we can" it's cool :-) )
    Go Obama!Go Democratic Party!Go America!
    P.S.I'm sorry if there any mistakes-English is my third language.:-)

February 7, 2008 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  4. Tetta European group

We would like to donate,!!!!! apparently we must be US citizen and we are Europeans, please let us know what to do. We would like to see Mrs Hillary Clinton in the white house because we believe that amongs the candidates she's the only one will manages and make your country great again.

February 7, 2008 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  5. Tim in California

Janis - I agree, you're on the money about his electability in red and swing states.

Everyone Else - Obama does have an inspirational movement generating some serious cash, but Hillary, even short on funds, will be a formidable opponent through the remainder of the primaries. This will be a close one and there's no denying it.

What matters most?

EVERYONE needs to come together in November for whoever wins the nomination. This nation cannot afford another 4 years of a right wing Presidency, tilting the balance of our Supreme Court even further right and continuing to push tax breaks for the richest Americans while the country falls so far into debt that it might never recover.

DEMS 08

February 7, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  6. rs wood

If you want the Democrats to win, put Obama on the top of the ticket with Hillary as VP. Having her as the nominee would be THE thing to galvanize Republican support against you (heck, a number of Dems I've heard might switch due to not liking her).

The Republican candidates have been aiming this whole time at Hillary because they know that excites their base. Meanwhile they are letting Obama skate free. I honestly think they won't know what to do with Obama as the nom. Our party is busy fighting itself where you could be taking advantage of that with a unified ticket already.

Sincerely,

A Huckabee supporter.

February 7, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  7. Nicole

In the Media's eyes, Clinton will never do right. Obama will always be a prince. If it were Clinton getting Oprah, and all the celebrities, the press would spin it to be a celebrity campaign. I agree that the Media is being very unfair to not only Clinton but to Huckabee and Ron Paul as well.

I noticed Jack Nicholson endorsed Hillary, but there was no mention of it. I noticed many other establishments, and celebrities have endorsed her yet the only coverage that gets attention is that Maria Schriver added to the Obama team. When you got backers like Oprah and Kennedy's it is not too hard to raise a big sum of money.

Funny how it was only briefly mentioned that Obama DOES in fact take money from the very people he complains about, he just does it once removed so it is not direct. That is sneaky and underhanded and dishonest... and you want him to be president? WOW !!

I think its time the press starts running fair coverage and positive/negative coverage equally. And I think its time that Americans start thinking for themselves, rather than allowing the news media and big names like Oprah influence your decisions.

I think it is offensive to many people like ME who ARE very educated and DO make above average incomes, and say all her supporters are stupid and poor. I would be even MORE offended if I WAS one of the uneducated one and low income. is that NOT who these candidates are trying to better the lives of? And if THEY are the ones voting for her, that tells you something. Maybe SHE IS the candidate to make the changes needed. I hope Edwards endorses her.

Maybe when Obama decides to actually put some substance to his case, rather than just saying I was right about Iraq, he would be more appealing.

Does it NOT concern anyone that he said he needs to win because he will be "right" on day one, (basically saying he, I'm perfect, and am never wrong) but at the last debate said he doesn't want yes men around him because he won't always be right? so he got lucky on ONE topic, if he admits he won't always be right in the end, then how can that be his case for winning? If that had been Clinton saying that, the news would have been all over it!

MEDIA!!! Be FAIR, be equal, and make sure that EVERYONE is accountable in the same way.

February 7, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  8. Let me break it down

Smart Democrat, the states that Hillary won will be won by ANY Democrat in the General. Mickey Mouse would win those states if he were the Democratic nominee. It's much more impressive to win Red States in the primaries!

OBAMA 08

I just donated 50 bucks to Obama!

February 7, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  9. SPQR753

I guess that loaning money to her own campaign shows two things:

1) Great commitment into what she believes.

2) The radical right of the GOP knows she is a serious and effective obstacle to the GOP trying to retain power. Do you want a proof?

When blabbering pundits such as Sean Hannity (a failed seminarist, by the way!) and Rush Limbaugh (not so long ago reported to be addicted (!!) to pain killers) attack her so violently, it means THEY FEAR HER.

They did not spend much time on the other Democratic candidates, which means they see her as the ONLY IMMINENT AND PRESENT DANGER to Republicans.

Personally I find her a Great Lady!

February 7, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  10. Charlotte

Some of you people are not very smart. The republicans will have field day with Obama if is he is the nominee. He crys because he can't handle both Clintons. He ain't seen nothing yet. Someone mentions his full name, you get up set. The republicans will blast the airwaves with his first, MIDDLE, last name, they will use his own words against him. A Junkie, who has a problem with his white mothers people. The church he attends, with its African logo. Sudan,Darfur,and now Chad. What would he do about that mess if elected? To tell the truth I am already concerned about his emphasis on his roots, and how it is playing right now. Not to mention Exelon and Rezko. I've been around a long time I know how the game is played. His young supporters are in for a rude awakening if he is the nominee.

February 7, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  11. Melinda

I am having incredible difficulty finding coverage anywhere that is not heavily tilted and favored toward Obama. I can no longer watch MSNBC, and CNN is also heavily biased and difficult to watch. It is very disapponting. To be honest, it just makes me sad. I do not care who has raised the most money, and I am simply tired of the way every single story is spun so as to favor one candidate and discredit the other. I am a highly educated female, and I am tired of everyone saying that if you support Hillary Clinton you must be stupid. No, I just make up my own mind, regardless of how heavily "The Media" tries to force one candidate down my throat. I echo an earlier comment...media...please be fair ( but I know it is a hopeless request.)

February 7, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. CST

It is becoming increasingly clear that the media is jumping on the Obama bandwagon. News organizations like CNN and MSNBC seem smitten with him even though in political years he's about 9 months old. It is disgraceful that this is being decided by who is more popular in the minds of the pundits.

February 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. BK

I completely agree with Melinda. When Hillary wins, she loses because CNN spins the story to benefit Obama.

February 7, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. Hilton

Why would you spend 5 million for a job that pays only $200,000. Let me tell you why, she knows that the lobbyist and the big business intrest group will pay her back plus more if she is elected. Only a crooked polititian would do this kind of campaigning. Do you remember White Water was that it........ that the kind of experience the Clinton's have...........!

February 7, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  15. sum

u know what i just found out that most of OBAMA's speech and words come from one of Organization Behaviour text books. hee hee i guess those book will also definately b in Harvard's library too. Just curious how many time did he read to memorize??? I don't like his face expression too. look at it , it seem like he is a king of US and don't care anybody. What if he really become the president, can't dare to think of. what if there is another 9/11 attack, can't even think of too.

February 7, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. So What

What a joke! If this is such a good "investment" then why is the money just a loan??? Why would she expect her staff to go without pay when she is a very wealthy woman (2nd wealthiest in the Presidential race.....2d only to Romney).

What a terrible businesswoman she is!
    Too chintzy to pay for the people who have dedicated their lives to her? And she's going to "stand up" for the poor people in America????

If this is only a "loan" who does she expect to pay it back to her? What are the terms of the loan? Interest rate?

this is a pathetic scam to make people feel sorry for her. Mitt Romney is spending $$ of his own money to finance his campaign and rightly so. He is a very wealthy man and really has no business asking others to pay for his campaign. Ditto for the Clintons!

They have made millions and millions of $$ from ex-Pres Bill's position and power (esp business deals in Serbia and the middle east ). He has done extremely well financially using his status.........now they can investment some of that as they attempt to secure again) the power and position that has made them extremely wealthy.

That should be worth an "investment"....not a "loan" Stop mewling Hillary.

February 7, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. Phil

There's too much venom and irrational emotion on both sides; it would be nice if people would stick more to the issues to decide which individual would be the best president and which individual has the best chance of winning the general election. Personally, I believe it's Obama on both counts. Both he and HIllary are smart and well-informed and want to help people, but Obama is less arrogant, and what Washington needs to make progress is people who can work with others they may not see eye to eye with, rather than people who are insulting and condescending to those they disagree with (e.g., how can Hillary be successful as president when she uses the word "republican" with as much disdain as she sometimes does?).

Regarding the $5 million loan, even though it might ultimately give her a tax advantage, wouldn't Hillary be more believable if she donated the money to her cause, rather than loaned it? She certainly could afford it, and it would be less hypocritical, since other contributors don't expect their money to be returned.

February 7, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. Hilton

Listen if she can't control her CAMPAIGN spending THEN HOW IS SHE SUPPOSE TO CONTROL THE US BUDGET. WHO IS SHE GONNA BORROW A TRILLION DOLLARS FROM WHEN SHE SEND US INTO BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET REAL OBAMA IN '08' FOR REAL CHANGE IN OUR CORRUPT POLITICAL MACHINE WE NEED CHANGE AND NOW IS THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Amazed

I actually thought I would support Obama but between his arrogance concerning how "his supporters are not likely to support Hillary but hers will vote for him" comments and the momumental piling on I see coming from all quarters toward her, I have decided to vote for her.

These postings are unbeleivable! Where is all this bile towards Hillary coming from posted by so called Obama supporters? Are you closet Republicans trying to subvert us? Are you first time voters who have no sense of history? Or, are you just simply naive and therefore willing to engage in eating your own?

PLEASE STOP IT! Support your candidate but quite undermining the democrat's chances of winning in November with all this mud slinging!

February 7, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. Lisa Thomas

I am bombatded with e-mails daily asking to contribute to Obama but I have not gotten one request fro Hillary. WHY? I would be happy to donate if asked Don't know where to send the donation. Can anyone help????

February 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Sherri

Is there some way to get out of moderation hell? Is there even someone who even moderates this blog?

February 7, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. GAIL

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD AND I KNOW HILLARY IS A BELIEVER, I AM SURE ALL CANDIATES HAVE USE SOME OF THERE OWN MONEY, OBMAMA , I'M SURE HE GOT MOST OF HIS MONEY FROM"O". I KNOW THAT GOD WILL HAVE HIS WILL AND THAT IS WHAT I AM PRAYING FOR. GOD BLESS AMERICA. I REPRESENT HILLARY BECAUSE I KNOW SHE CAN GET THE JOB DONE NO MATTER WHAT SHE IS AGAINST BECAUSE SHE HAS FAITH.

February 7, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. ¡Sí Se Puede!

This is such an opportunity for this country to turn a corner. When I heard Hillary was going into her fortune for the campaign, I had to make the first political donation of my life - to Barack Obama!

February 7, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. Debbie

Go Melinda- Obama supporters are trying too hard to make their point. Could it be his lack of experience?

February 7, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. this_is_our_time!

too bad for little Hitlery maybe people will donate to her, oh wait nobody likes her so she is going to be SOL...

February 7, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |