February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jim

Money that no doubt came from Bill's foreign speaking arrangements, which means overseas interests are dictating politics in the US.

Thanks Hillary!

February 6, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Frank Mayans

lol O gosh...I VOTED for HIllary and I hope our campaign is going down the drain!

I think we dont have the best "fundraising efforts ever on the Web"

Obama does!

LOL

I DONATED 15 bucks today and hope that makes some of a difference :0

February 6, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. Mary

Again...I say we are one party. We operate as a team. How can we put our candidates down or make uncall for comments. So she has money. She is a 60 year old professional woman with many opportunities that she has worked hard for and earned. Stop hating her success. Being blessed is not a crime.

February 6, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Tom

I KNOW ALL OF YOU WILL DISLIKE ME FOR SAYING THIS:

But Women cannot lead this country. They simply cannot. It will be a national disgrace to elect a woman. Barack is a uniter, but Hillary as a woman will divide this world. There are other jobs for women, but not the President of the United States. Think about what happens when she has her "time" of the Month! I WILL ONLY SUPPORT A WHILE MALE OR BLACK MALE FOR THE PRESIDENCY. SORRY. Just my feelings.
    Tom

February 6, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Walter

Go BV: I like that one, thats funny as hell!

February 6, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. Chris-Seattle

I wonder if it came from the $31 million the "Clinton Foundation" just got from the Uranium mine deal in Kazahkstan that Bill Clinton said didn't happen until presented with proof and then, as before, his story changed. I think I'll crawl in bed until all this is over and just hope and pray for the best! LuvYa America! Nighty night!!!

February 6, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Ron C

Anybody who thinks the Clinton campaign will run out of money is delusional – they have been entranced by their Obama preacher like speeches.

February 6, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. Brennan - Seattle, WA

How can the Clinton campaign try to spin this as a positive?

Anyway the most important thing is what David Axelrod said last night. "Obama has around 700,000 donors or which only 3 percent are maxed out donation wise." That means that Obama has about 680,000 donors who can still give. That is amazing.

I would love to hear or see Clinton's donor numbers compared to how many are maxed out.

This movement will continue. OBAMA 08

February 6, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Ben, MA

Obama's campaign is a movement. The longer he stays viable, the more sure thing he is to be the Democratic candidate in 2008.

February 6, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Linda LA

She bankrupted a campaign, so I know she can not financially manage an entire country!

OBAMA '08

February 6, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Peter Waters

Hillary is dedicated to the cause...

I will send another contribution today.

She has the experience, the VOTES and the Delegates.

Ted, Kerry, Oprah, Caroline, and many more did nothing for Obama... all that help and work for nothing...

HILLARY 08!

February 6, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. Harriet

Sounds like desperation to me. Perhaps she and Romney can team up.

February 6, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Latinos for OBAMA

CNN never posts my comments, as if worried that a Latino for OBAMA would destroy the Clintons already hurting reputation amongst other Latinos. But I'll give it another try.

Clearly the Clintons are feeling desperate, at least financially. That's a BIG surprise considering their name recognition and power in Washington as well as other states. That's especially why the fact that Obama has raised more than TWICE as much in donation, is GREAT news.

Even with the help of their Lobbysitst and and big powerful and wealthy special interest groups, the Clintons are still BEHIND. WE, the regular folks, are backing OBAMA. It's refreshing to see that for once principle is winning over power!

February 6, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Dan, NJ

There is no spinning this. Bad news for Clinton.

How many lobbyists and special interests out there maxed out in the first few months of the campaign and are now starting to worry about their return on investment?

Can you feel the people taking back their government?

February 6, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. Mike

this is funny

corporate forces against a movement

the people financed Obama's campaign.

it would be a disaster for the democratic party if Hillary gets the nomination. you can't turn away from a movement as big as this.

February 6, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Jackie Dawson

Wasn't Bill Clinton in office when NAFTA was put into place???

February 6, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  17. Karen from Minnesota

There are limits to campaign contributions...$2,300 per person. Many of the Hillary supporters have reached that limit but there are many of us who send in money everyday. I have contributed to Obama's campaign as well as Hillary's. Many of us do that.

Why are their ideas of wrong-doing by the Clintons floated on these blogs everyday? Obama has already gotten rid of some of the illegal money he received but you rarely hear about that. You can't buy that kind of positive media, Obama.

Look at the financial difference between the Huckabee and Romney races. Shows you that money isn't everything!

February 6, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. Corey, Bloomington IN

More evidence that the only major democrats supporting Clinton are...the Clintons!

February 6, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. JR

Health insurance for all...Yeah lets make everyone pay overpriced insurance companies and fill their pockets that much more. That will make Hillary's private insurance backers happy.

Health insurance for all is a pipe dream at best, but sounds good on the campaign trail.

Oh, and who cares what celebrity endorses who!? If you're dumb enough to vote for someone because an actor says to you shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.

February 6, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. Love the USA

This country better wake up and take a good look at all of the candidates and who is behind them pulling the (Money) string. I love this country, but it scares me to think what is ahead of us for our solders, seniors, not to mention the next generation. of children. Don't be fooled by race or sex, look at the candiates closely. The more I look .... the scarey it become to choose..

February 6, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Sean

I commend her for her dedication and vision. For her to take that money from her own credit worthiness shows how much she cares about the people she's fighting to represent!

Hillary is fighting not only for change, but for SOLUTIONS!

Hillary '08!

February 6, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  22. Nando, Florida

were are all the donations from the READY TO LEAD FROM DAY ONE MOVEMENT???????

THEY WANT A WOMAN PRESIDENT BUT DON't pay UP?

Barak he can raise money just by asking the American People says alot about how they feel about HILLARY.

PS.

ME and my Wife Just Donated another 200.00 to OBAMA !!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. Michael

You have my vote and contribution Hillary.

Hopefully, the Obama supporters will wake up and know that the contributions made to his campaign were not from the "little people". The contributions were bundled and made by lobbyists and big corporations.

Hillary has full rights to make a contribution to her campaign.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE UNITY? OBAMA AND HIS SUPPORTERS ARE SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLORS. YOU ARE SO FULL OF HATE, WHICH SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE SINCE WE ARE ALL WORKING TO GET A DEMOCRAT IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

February 6, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. Marilyn, SC

watch out Obama. This woman is capable of doing anything. Just watch your back.

February 6, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. JA Cook

This is why she wants a debate a week.

She needs the air time that Obama can help her get.

February 6, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |