February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. neil

So, is Hillary going to charge her campaign interest? Hopefully she's locking in the new low interest rate.

February 6, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. ronnie j reichgelt

Wow, reading some of the comments here about Hillary I have to wonder if these people are really Republicans or just really mean spirited. If they are an example of what Barack Obama will bring with him I will find it hard, even as a life long Democrat, to vote for him. Tone down the disrespect and open your minds to what each of them have to say. Then vote and keep your hostility to yourselves.

February 6, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. wanda Williams

Hillary, I was in a accident two weeks ago . But i watch the election until i figured you had it made . You are the best for our country and i am praying for you and your family . I did get a laugh last evening after all the Kennedys and OPRAH wwas out with BAMMY AND YOU WON EDWARD KENNEDYS STATE .BILL CLINTON IS THE BEST PRESIDENT WE HAVE EVER HAD AND HE IS HANDSOME ALSO AND I AM 76YEARS OLD .Tell CHELSEY SHE IS A DOLL. WANDA .

February 6, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Jim

she will be the best candidate big buisness can buy!!! The rest of us will contribute to the Obama campaign.

February 6, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. NickNasc

Just another Multi-millionaire trying to buy the job. Yea she and 99% of the people in this country can REALLY relate! Wake up people.

February 6, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. akibo

Going the way of Romney... downhill.

February 6, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Manuel, Pearland, TX

I'm making a big fat donation right now to Hillary's campaign.

February 6, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Debbie

It sounds like she is trying to pay her way in office. But how in this world can her campaign pay the loan back to her if it is hurting bad enough to get a loan??????People, you need to start thinking straight! No more CLINTONS!

February 6, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. NY

"JACK NICHOLSON ENDORSES HILLARY CLINTON!"
    Congrats an inflated ego rich actor endorses her... and you are complaining that this is a story and not that she is low on funds?
    "But of course, I wouldn't expect "the educated elite" that votes for Obama to know that"
    hmm... and I wonder why we support the people we do...

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. Pat

I like how Hillary's experience of 35 years is composed of 20 years as a First Lady of either Arkansas or in the White House. And then there is her $3 million in 3 days? Pah. Barack Obama got $32 million in 31 days. Lets see her keep it going for a month. HA!

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Latino 4 Obama

You may as well steal that like too with the YES SHE CAN.....seing as she has stolen everything else from Obama

Except money of course!!!! hahaha

Shows what 35 yrs of experience will do for you.....nothing!

Ask someone how experienced and how old John F Kennedy was when he took office

OBAMA 08

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. kay

I donated... WE ARE GOING THE DISTANCE BABY! I might not have Oprah's money but its all good!

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Marge

You Hillary haters are so pathetic. Are you really that jealous that she had just an amazing day yesterday? She's had a huge surge in online donations today just as Barack Obama did after his win in South Carolina. I just donated $100 even though I am only a graduate student. We are just as excited about our candidate as you are about yours. GO HILLARY 08!!

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Sherri

GO Hillary GO! Do not listen to the nay sayers. The people that speak the loudest are the ones that lead by example. Keep workin' it!

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Jim

she's the best candidate for the job...I just made a donation on her site

February 6, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. Dee Ward Mena, AR

We all know it isn't the money that obama has that has won him so many votes, it is that blacks vote for blacks and that is sad for this country. It's too bad that people do't vote for the most qualified and not even consider the color of your skin or your gender. All of the people that are voting for obama because he is black, know that Senator Clinton is more qualified but they are like sheep that would follow the leader off a cliff. I have nothing against obama and I am definitely not predjudiced. I would vote for obama if he were the most qualified but "sorry folk" he just isn't. Maybe in the future but not now. On the job training was what we had with bush and you see the mess he made, lets not do it again. Lets prove that the American people, white, black, brown or yellow are smart enough to vote for someone qualified, not someone of the same color they are.

February 6, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Jen, Gainesville

Good spin!! She did so because she could not raise enough money. Look at the number of donators, donations, and dollar amount that Obama has. Unthinkable!!

February 6, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Progressive

Yeah, lets force Americans to have Healthcare. And what experience is Hillary and all her loyal supporters touting? I'm sure you don't know, so I'll tell you about it:

The Facts:

Senator Barack Obama
    1996-2004 (Illinois State Senator)
    2005-2008 (United States Senator)
    12 Years of Elected Office Experience

Senator Hillary Clinton
    2001-2008 (United States Senator)
    7 Years of Elected Office Experience
    (FYI – George W. Bush had 6 years in office before the presidency)

Barack Obama is more experienced to be President of the United States.

35 – 7 = 28 years of zero elected office experience for Hillary
    Clinton.

Again, what 35 years of experience is Hillary talking about?

Here are the remaining 28 years –

8 Years (Lawyer)
    12 Years (First Lady of Arkansas)
    8 Years (First Lady of the U.S.)
    28 Years of Zero Elected Office Experience

Since when is 20 years of being a first lady relevant experience for
    being president?

FINAL ANALYSIS

Senator Barack Obama, Not Only By Virtue Of His Character, Honesty, And
    Competence, But Also By Virtue Of His Experience, Is Clearly More
    Qualified To Be President Of The United States.

I just donated $40 more to Obama for America, the next President of the United States of America. Educate yourself and join the movement.

February 6, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Armando

Hillary will take Ohio and Texas. Hispanics support Hillary and are a huge part of the Texas population Obahma doesn't have a chance. And will raise more than Obahma in Texas. He can take the little states that are not diverse but the big diverse states that make up most of the United States he can't . Oh and remember the world is diverse which Obahma can't seem to do is unite the diversity of people. And will raise more than Obahma in Texas.

Hillary 08'

February 6, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. Indiana Nate

GOGO Obama. Was so happy last night! Making my first contribution ever to a candidate today. I hope my fellow young people do the same. Obama ALL THE WAY!

February 6, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. Christian, Tampa FL

Wow... I'm struck by this.

A personal loan on Hillary's part is a major sign of weakness. She's definitely at a money disadvantage now, and this may hurt her chances as Obama moves forward into the other states.

February 6, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. jm24

She said on Letterman Monday night she had 100 Million !!! Is this another lie??
    And how come no one is reporting the Obama actually got MORE delegate votes than she did last night ?? It's true, check it out for yourself.
    I donated again to Obama last night, right after his wonderful speech.

February 6, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Mitt

Way to go Hillary! Show 'em that millionaires deserve to be president and not poor saps. Wait, you "lent" the money to your campaign. You mean, you can get the money back? How?
    MR

February 6, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. Karen SC

I just sent a donation! I think our country deserves the best and most experienced we are offered! She is the only one that knows how to get the job done! Anyone can say they will, but do they know how? We need a President, not a Preacher.

Hillary 08'

February 6, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. BRC

So rich people donate money to Obama and means he's better????

You all lost me on that one.

February 6, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |