February 6th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

Click here to read the complete post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Bob

So she loses who pays her back, and I wonder if all of her other big contributers loaned her money and expect to be paid back if she should win.

It should be that no one person or corpration can make more than 1 donation for not more than 10000.00 this would force the campaigns to speak to all the people not just high profile states.

February 6, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. Dem of NJ

I just donated $100 two days ago. I may have to do more.
    Obama's money will not buy him the victory. Hillary will win
    at the end.

February 6, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Karen

A loan has to be repaid.
    Question: Who is going to pay back the money that Hillary Clinton is lending her campaign?

February 6, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. sanjay

not only is she in trouble...this is kind of disgusting. how can she be a spokesperson for equality and then try to flat-out buy an election? there's a limit to the elite trying to simply buy more power...Clinton can spin this however she wants, but this is no different than Romney: it's disgusting.

February 6, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. PGB

Oh for pity sake – doesn't anyone remember when John Kerry loaned his campaign money too? And he did become the nominee.

February 6, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Sean (Trinidad)

Yes we can , Yes we can loan ourselfs money and brag about it , but wil it be enough .. I dnt think so , I dont think so

February 6, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. John

Only a weak campaign would have to pull this kind of move – much of her campaign's money is set aside for the general election, showing she though she'd sail through to the coronation.

Where does all of this money come from? Her 35 years of "public service"? Bill has made tens of millions in curious "consulting fees" from billionaire hedge fund managers like George Soros and Ron Burkle and now Hillary take their money to get elected?! How is this not totally illegal?

Hillary would unify the conservatives behind McCain. Obama would attract all of McCain's independent backers and keep the conservatives at home.

As a center-right Republican proudly backing McCain, all I have to say is "Go Hillary!" As an American, I'm horrified at the prospect of her presidency reviving the divisive culture wars of 1992. Thanks.

February 6, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. ks

I wouldn't give her a red cent. She and Bill have millions given to them by the Saudis, Dubais etc. and put in their tax sheltered Clinton Foundation.
    you know they don't spend their own money. He even boasted about "living in public housing" referring to the govs mansion and the white house. Cripes they even stole the china when they left. She should get the money from Bill for her pay off for sticking up for him. He owes her big time.
    Maybe she should do some more of her insider stocktrading and make 100,000 a day.
    Some of you are so naive. She isn't doing it for the jobs pay. She's doing it for ego and power and wants you to pay for it. All those vacations she took on AF-1 overseas must have paid off.

February 6, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Anon 1

I just love Hillary LCinton and I hope the American people wake up and see her heart is truly for her country. The far left liberal men are showing their true colors. If there is anything this election has highlighted is the fact that American men are very sexist. WOmen leaders in other countries are never ridiculed and dissected as Hillary Clinton has in the American media

February 6, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. Lenore Z.

It must be nice when you're short of cash to just dip into your own funds for 5 million dollars! Most of us can't understand that kind of universe. And this is the person people want to become their President!

February 6, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. Amy, Ohio

Amazing....Obama's donations from supporters...32 million in January...Hillary loans herself 5 million January.

I am going to make another donation to Obama's campaign right now, because I believe in his message and his ability to lead this country. Seems like Hillary might have more money if her supporters felt the same way.

February 6, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  12. Tony Holland

This story seems very suspicious to me. WHERE did she get the 5 Million?
    Something doesn't fly here, and to me this is more of the same ol same ol with the Clintons. Does this country need more years of White Water and scandals the Clintons seem to live there life by?
    I don't think so.
    I hope some reporter with some instincts and nerves gets to the bottom of this so called loan. There is more to this story than what is written here. I can smell it!

February 6, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  13. Alex Smith

IF she is willing to do that, then I am willing to go for her. She believes in herself that much, wow. You will have my donation right now!

God Bless.

February 6, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. Lyn

Obama said that he does not take money from lobbyists!!! Then why does the head of Excelon who was a lobbyist became his fundraiser since he started his run for the Senates? Then another of his fundraiser is Rezko who has been indicted for several crimes!!!! The money coming in (according to his campaign people) from individual donors could be questionable too then !!!! Does anybody wonder how much money did he receive on line from Oprah's companies???? I think there's a lot more behind Obama's facade.

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. fred

In the sixties the hippies followed a movement.
    Several cults come to mind...
    It's time to move on.
    Movements are great for historical studies.
    What we need now is leadership not charismatic movements.

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. james nickelberry

No way should Obama pick Hilary for a running mate. I am a vietnam combat disable veteran. I will vote for a republician before a Clinton anything ticket. I will support Barack and John Edwards.

On another note Mike Huckabee lost me when he endorsed the confederate flag! I am a black american and from Arkansas. I know what that flag symbolizies.

James

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Canyon

Bill Clinton in Iowa:

"They say you couldn’t stop me from spending all the money I’ve saved over the last five years on Hillary’s campaign if I wanted to, even though it would clearly violate the spirit of campaign finance reform."

Right....pulling out all the stops now, aren't we? Nothing surprises me anymore.

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Vanessa C.

I donated to Hillary's campaign through her website today for the fifth time! Obama's not the only one who has dedicated supporters! Hillary receives plenty of small individual donations, as well. She is the most-qualified candidate, an extraordinary woman, and an inspiration to those who actually take the time to find out who she really is and what she's accomplished in her life. She has my support, she has my vote.......and YES SHE CAN!

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. Matt Scott

I think the fact that in her own words that this is an "investment" says it all.

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. kell

Hillary – President
    Obama – VP
    Edwards – Attorney General
    Richardson – Secretary of State

Dream Team

February 6, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. jack

NOW AFTER OBAMA GIVES ALL HIS EMPTY SPEACHES OF SO CALLED CHANGE
    HE STARTET TO ATTACK HILLARY WITH DIRTY GOP STUFF SHAME ON HIM
    HE REALLY SPLITS THE DEMS,

February 6, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. bak

Wow, with 5 million of her own money, that could feed and provide for a lot of people who are in need in this country. I would not have disclosed that, it really looks bad when you have 5 million of your own money to spend on your campaign, but you talk about helping the poor and indigent people of this country.

February 6, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  23. kris

to shay...please DO NOT be so IMMATURE questioning Sen. Clinton how to manage the national economy if she cannot manage her own campaign...have you asked yourself where did Sen. Obama got his million dollars for his campaign..let us say they come from their 'supporters'...have it hit your mind that these SUPPORTERS would ask something in return when your President Obama is seated in the Oval office?...is that the way you are for CHANGE...just asking...

February 6, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. Fredd

HILLARY: We believe in your vision and I already made my contributions in your website. We see your commitment and belief that you will make it to the WHITE HOUSE and that is very honest, humbling and noble. WE WILL BE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY!

February 6, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  25. Andrew Brown

I am a man that can acknowledge a strong and determined woman, after all the media bias, they asked obama to be more agressive, then applaud him when he does, but they try to bash hillary for simply defending herself and speaking the truth about obama..6 months ago i was an obama supporter, but lets not allow the media and hype to dictate what we should or shouldn't do, look at the facts and how knowledgeable both candidates are about the important issues.

Hillary represents the strength of women that men have successfully suppressed all these years. Hillary 08

February 6, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |