February 6th, 2008

How Clinton, McCain may have won California

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton can thank Latino and Asian voters for her projected victory in California. Early exit polls indicate that Sen. Barack Obama carried white voters in California because of his overwhelming support among white men. White women, as in other states, more often supported Clinton. Black voters overwhelmingly favored Obama but Asian voters, whose numbers are comparable to blacks, went overwhelmingly for Clinton. The deciding factor may have been Latinos, who make up roughly 30 percent of California's Democratic vote. They went for Clinton by a two-to-one margin.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, exit polls show Latino and Asian Republicans may also have played an important part in John McCain's victory in the GOP primary. Mitt Romney led among white Republican voters but McCain led among Latinos and Asians, the second- and third-largest voting blocs behind whites among California Republicans.

Related: CNN Analysts say Super Tuesday didn't distinguish Democratic candidates

Filed under: California • Hillary Clinton
  1. Barb miller

keep going Hillary, you may not always be right in every decision, but having the experience you have, is what the country needs. To me, I think your the best choice.

February 6, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. Jose

80+ percent blacks voting for Obama. Ummmmm ... now why is no one calling that racism?

February 6, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Fairness

Your editorial ethics stink. I don't care if you post this or not. I'm satisfied knowing tht you have read it!

February 6, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. yazoo

Obama is a uniter not a divider.

February 6, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. Joanne

I too have been disappointed by CNN election coverage; it seems so biased against Clinton, and so pro-Obama. I think both candidates are great, however personnaly believe Hillary is more qualified. That said, the consistent negative coverage of Clinton's wins (they aren't 'really' wins) by CNN, combined with thier jubilant hype of Obama, has made me switch to primarily watching MSNBC coverage. What really struck me Tuesday was how the media (with CNN leading the bandwagon) creating this overwhelming Obama 'momentum', and the fact that the voting public didn't take thier lead-voters made thier own decisions without the 'help' of the obviously flawed television news coverage. Would they do this to a man???

February 6, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. Carmen Arizona African

carmen February 6, 2008 10:46 am ET

I live in Arizona, and I am also an African-American woman. I don't subscribe to the ideas or notions that Black and Latinos don't get along in general. We have no issues with Black and Latinos in Arizona. As an African-American, I cannot understand why any Latino would have a problem voting for another person of another minority. When I drive down the street and see signs for immigration reform, and letters to send "them back to Mexico," there is not one Black person ever in the group. Nor is it African Americans calling for the closing of the borders, and suggesting that we round "these people up," or are currently deporting them seperating them from their families. I think it is time for the Latino community to wake up and realize that we may not have everything in common, but we've been where you have been, and perhaps……..we may be your stongest ally. Again we find a group of people looking at race, instead of the facts. It is White American that is trying to remove you from the United States, not the rest of us.

February 7, 2008 04:06 am at 4:06 am |