February 6th, 2008

Obama: Super Tuesday 'big victory' for his campaign

Obama called the Super Tuesday results a 'big victory' Wednesday.
Obama called the Super Tuesday results a 'big victory' Wednesday.

CHICAGO (CNN) - Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama said Wednesday that the Super Tuesday primaries were a "big victory" for his campaign, and he is looking forward to the remaining contests in various states across the country.

"I believe that we had an extraordinary night, it was a big victory for our campaign," Obama told reporters in Chicago before heading back to Washington to vote on the Senate's version of the economic stimulus bill.

The senator from Illinois got one less delegate - 539 - than rival Sen. Hillary Clinton, who took 540. There were 1,681 Democratic delegates at stake in the primaries and conventions in 22 states and U.S. territories.

Obama noted the record turnouts in several states and said his campaign is building a coalition for change that he predicted would go all the way to the White House.

CNN's overall count showed Clinton leading at this point in delegates with 783 to Obama's 709. They'll need 2,025 to secure their party's nomination.

Related: Watch Obama's post Super Tuesday reflection

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Annie

I want to thank CNN, MSNBC and FOX… After weeks and weeks of watching you and the other news agencies bash Hillary Clinton, you have now motivated me to do something I have never done before. VOTE! I'm 52 years old and have never felt compelled to go to the polls before, but the way I have seen this poor woman portrayed by you and other agencies, has made me realize that I have to do this. After 7 years of George Bush, I can't stand the thought of another Rebublican in the White House and after looking at Clinton and OBama's stand on the issues, I feel she does have a better plan to turn this country around. I see OBama on TV saying we're going to make a change, but he never gives any details about how he plans to make these changes. I see him saying I didn't vote for the war, but it seems he just voted present on many of the issues and never took a stand. George Bush didn't have a plan and look where we are now. I don't want another 4 years with someone who doesn't have a plan. This country can't survive another 4 years with someone who doesn't have a plan. There was a movement for JFK by young people that was simular to the OBama movement today. I liked JFK but his inexperience brought us the closest EVER to being in a nuclear war during the Bay of Pigs. Also, I think it's irreprehensible that you have turned this into a side show. You don't allow a true debate, you do everything possible to put the candidates at each others throats. You've turned this into an issue of white verses black, old verses young. It very much reminds me of Ferraro running for Vice President 20+ years ago. You drug that poor woman through the mud because you didn't want a woman as Vice President and everyone knew it. I thought we had grown up as a nation. Please people don't vote on emotion, check where the candidates stand on the issues, no matter who you vote for!

February 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. southrnjaz

when it is all said and done,I PRAY that we will be blessed to have Obama as president,all of you that cannot handle it,GET OVER IT

February 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. Brian Metzger

People are missing the big news: Obama is winning in the states that the democrats *have* to win in November to beat McCain. Who cares about California and New York? – they are already locks. The fact remains that Clinton, the insider favorite of the Democratic party, is despised by half the country and will get crushed by McCain. Obama is about bringing our nation together and has a much better chance.

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. Val

Einstein – please invest in a dictionary.
    It is clear that Obama's "big victory" lies not in the actual number of delegates he has garnered so far, but in the fact that the Clinton juggernaut has encountered an obstacle, the fact that Americans really are tired of the rhetoric they hear every four years from the same mouths. They're also tired of being told what to do every four years, in the form of following party platforms or by listening to "predictions" by political experts or media pundits, on how this segment or that sector are going to vote, and how that will affect the process and the outcome. People are finally, thank the Lord, beginning to think for themselves, to research the issues, listen and observe carefully what each candidate has to offer, weigh the decision in their own minds, and not let someone herd them to a predetermined conclusion.

I agree with Johnson, that it is the right kind of experience that matters, not the amount of experience. Every parent knows there are children that have to be told a hundred times to do or not do something, and they still behave the same way, because they haven't learned the lesson. Then there are the children that are told one time, receive the appropriate lesson, and move on. I believe people are tired of politicians who haven't learned the lesson.

I also agree with Vince from NC, to an extent. As a fellow North Carolinian, I believe Obama will do well here, but among "older" women as well. The first election I was old enough to vote in was that of 1980, when Ronald Regan was running for president, and I followed the issues carefully then, trying to be a responsible citizen. I've voted in every election since then, but this is the first time since 1980 I have really felt true belief and inspiration from a candidate, that I could really trust that this person had the best interests of the citizens in mind, not just how to gain power for his own purposes. Will every citizen be pleased? No. But, overall Obama seems to realize that it is the everyday person that he will be answering to as President, who expect him to uphold the Constitution and to fairly consider the good of the country as a whole.
    I believe enough in this candidate, Barack Obama, to defy the political experts and step outside my race and my gender to support him.

February 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  5. tiny

Sure Obama is a great speaker. If elected he will inherit a country with many economic difficulties. I fear that his celebrity status is causing people to look beyond his lack of accoplishments and his inexpiernce. Please remember this is our country that is our stake and not a popularity contest! Remember Mr. Bush in 2000 "I'll unite the country" also a candidate with carisma! We need A Leader With Exprience and not a celebrity to run the White House! Let him learn for Hillary as her VP and in seven or eight years he'll be ready! Please remember this is the future our COUNTRY!

February 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. J

Many people on here have said or implied that Obama doesn't have a chance or can't win because he only does well in states with a high percentage of African American voters. Well if that is true than can somebody please explain to me what happened in ND, Idaho, and Minnesota? Last time I check these states weren't exactly overflowing with African Americans.

February 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. Doris

wake up people obama is not going to bring change. how dense is everyone out there? hello?

February 6, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  8. Glo

Please explain to me how Barack received 539 delegates (one less than Hillary), while Hillary was the clear winner (54% to 37%)? What am I missing?

February 6, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  9. Enough is Enough

Just another American,

Well after you vote for him and he wins, then you will see what he can change for you. I would hope that you can change some things yourself. No one can make change for you solely.

February 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  10. Tommy2

I am glad that Obama may be bringing in younger voters and CNN lets us know this ever chance they get. I find it odd that when the older voters vote for Hillary, she gets no credit for that. In most of the countries around the world the older (wiser) generation is looked up to and their opinion is vauled. I would like to see a debate between some younger and older voters, to see whith side knows the issues better. It's real nice to have a cool song on utube, but that is not going to fix any of the problems in the world.

February 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  11. enomisa

Karen,
    First, How do you know who Obama voted for?
    If He or Michelle wouldn't vote for Hillary if she were our Nominee, How can you be sure that he did NOT vote Republican then?
    Stick with facts please not empty guarentees to follow up his empty promises.
    Second, I did not vote for GWB either- in either election.
    I CAN guarentee THAT- I do not list that as an accomplishment, but gosh, if that is all it takes, maybe I should be the next president.
    Ignorant Ignorant Voters destroy the chance for change by bringing our Party down.

February 6, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  12. Aliou salam

I don't want Hilary's mandate.

That means, if you don't want to pay for health care because it is too expensive, what is she going to do? Send you to Jail?
    How much does the jail cost?

or how much will the administration of the mandate alone cost?

The fact is that she is in the pockets of the healthcare lobbyists and would not do anything on the supply side to reduce cost. that is, facing the health care industry and telling them like it is: We can't pay that much!!! You have to bring down the cost.

Obama will.

She is telling us that she can force us to do as she pleases, but can do s...t about the health care industry that is milking us to death just like the oil companies are.

Of course, the bunch of sheeps who follow her because "she cries a lot" wouldn't bother to check that out, or may be, they can't understand that much of economics.

February 6, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Sean McM

He truly is a gamer folks...............mark these words!

February 6, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  14. joel

maybe hillary should cry again to get more votes....it worked last time!

February 7, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  15. TT

It is interesting to look at the statistics of the vote. As expected, most black vote for Obama, most older women vote for Clinton. However, the most interesting is the white male, they rather vote for Obama than Clinton. This reflects what's happening in society. White male rather have a black man as his boss than a woman.

February 7, 2008 07:06 am at 7:06 am |