February 6th, 2008

Schneider: How McCain won

(CNN) – McCain came in third among Missouri conservatives, so how did he win the state?

His overwhelming support among the state's moderates, even those who are sharply at odds with his positions.

Twenty-three percent of Missouri voters believe abortion should be legal, and they picked McCain 2-to-1 over Romney and Huckabee. And 30 percent are against the war in Iraq and they also picked McCain 2-to-1 over Romney and Huckabee.

McCain, of course has a strong pro-life Senate record, and he has made achieving victory in Iraq his top issue.

Related: CNN Analysts say McCain is on the road to Republican nomination

CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider • John McCain
  1. Jeff T

I continue to be surprised by how many Republicans are falling for the Ultra-Conservative propaganda machine's depiction of John McCain. This guy has a lifetime 83 score from the American Conservative Union, the only guy who can beat the Democrats in November, he doesn't change his positions on a weekly basis like Romney, and he appeals across the demographic block unlike Huckabee. Is it so horrible that he doesn't want to deport 12 million Hispanics? Is it so horrible that he worked to clean up the mess of soft money in politics? Is it so horrible that he has gone against his own party when they were bent on destroying themselves?

If we voted McCain in 2000, the Republicans would still be in control of Congress and the war in Iraq either wouldn't have been fought, or would be in a totally different state right now. Wake up you guys! Take a serious look at McCain and compare him to Obama and to Billary and ask yourself which you would rather have be President.

He's more consistently pro-life, pro-marraige, pro-constructionist judges, and anti-new taxes than either Huckabee or Romney. The primary system has worked and we're nominating the best man for the job. Let's come together and work to win in November!

February 6, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  2. Think about it.

Huckabee won't run with McCain. McCain is bound to lose either in the primary or the general.

February 6, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  3. Dan Forster

Clinton, Obama, and especially McCain are wards of the state! They've never held a real job, much less CREATE one! What a bunch of power-hungry SOCIALISTS! The remaining states representing the wise people of this nation will clean this McCain mess up for Romney, the only conservative and the only Republican who has a chance of beating EITHER liberal democrat. Then, in the White House, Romney can clean up the COMPLETE MESS that LIBERAL moron G.W. Bush left! -Dan Wrather

February 6, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  4. jstbnme

I know I said I had posted my last post, but I had to say....I have lived in Arkansas, and this state is ten times the state it was before Huckabee, and not once I mean once did it seem that his religion played any part in his leadership of the states economy, education, health care etc. and his undertaking of restructuring the infastructure that was in really bad shape. He left us with low unemployment, a much much higher graduation rate in our schools, and just come to the state and look aound, you can see it all around you, The Clintons on the other hand nearly destroyed the state...and I did not vote for Huckabee the first time he ran, I am a democrat, but after his first term, it was a easy decision....and I will vote for him again, whatever office he seeks....He is truly a great leader,and manager of the economy.

February 6, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  5. Brooklyn Latina

If Huckabee is on the ticket, there is no way that I would ever consider voting for an anti-Catholic, anti-Mormon bigot.

McCain cheated on his wife until he found a rich chick half his age and then dumped his wife.

Not a winning ticket–

especially in a year of "change" old ugly angry guy versus young, happy, optimistic Obama...

Young and happy will win.

February 6, 2008 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  6. Hannah Waldhorn

i am a non-partisan voter registered in California… i just read an article on the msnbc website that obama was worried that non-partisan voters in this state were not given the option to vote for the democratic candidate in certain counties, even though they are entitled that vote. i knew that i was supposed to be able to vote for the democratic candidate, but the option was not included on the page of non-partisan issues and i ended up giving my ballot over without voting, i was going to vote for obama. afterwards i found out that i could have, but it was never made clear to me before hand. i am in los angeles and that is one of the counties msnbc said may be affected, i knew i could have been the only one to be confused. when i read that article i was so angry because it said the clinton representatives were saying that this was just obamas way to complain, but i am angry i didnt get to cast my vote and cant imagine that i was the only one to make the mistake!!! i dont know who to talk to about this but i want someone to know… TELL EVERYONE please.

February 6, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  7. TJS

As you see, If McCain wins the nomination it will def be a democrat in the White House. I am planning to vote Rep for the first time, but not if it is McCain or Romney. Especially McCain. I could NEVER vote for him. If he is the VP for Huckabee but not as our president. If we had a better nomination than McCain, I think we would get some democrat white males at the end. Especially if their nominee is Hillary.

February 6, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  8. The Dean of Heroics

Hannah..all I can say is that you must've taken a stupidity pill yesterday. I'm in LA, as well...wasn't a problem for me.

HANNAH TOOK A STUPIDITY PILL, EVERYONE!!

February 6, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  9. Steve, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

People don't want a Bush light in McCain which is what you will get if he is elected. The Republicans controlled everything for over 6 of the last 8years and look where your at? Health care, gas prices, Iraq, working longer for less.The Republicans have done absolutely nothing for working people.What has Bush and Chenet done for working people? I can't find anyone who will admit they voted for Bush. Someone sure did! It will not matter who McCain has for a running mate. I do not want a religious zealot like Governor Huckabee a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Doesn't he know about the separation of church and state? High voter turnout favors the Dems in November regardless whether it is Clinton or Obama.The Dems will roll to victory in November. There is a reason why so many Republcans are not running for reelection. Even Senator McCain himself is none too popular in parts of his home state of Arizona .Anyone seen Vice President Cheney lately?

February 6, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  10. William A

Anyone who is against the War in Iraq and voted fo McCain deserves him.
    I would vote Huckabee 3 to 1 over McCain if I were inclined towards Republicans.

I can't understand any AMerican voting for McCain who is against the Iraq War unless they want the War to go on indefinitely and it will under his reign. Wake UP !

February 6, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  11. Garry

"It amazes me every time someone brings up Romney’s money. Like it is a bad thing or EVIL to have money. Isn't that why you get up and go to work for in the morning???????? Romney is extremely intelligent and smart. I have a hard time figuring out why people are so jealous of him because he has done well. Does it threaten your own self esteem or sense of self worth? Is that why you attack him and most of the time and bring up his wealth?

Or is it like Huckabee who keeps bringing religion into the race and saying things like, "Well on Tuesday I'll just walk to the brook and pull out a smooth stone and slay the giants”. Huckabee keeps playing the religion card over and over again, it makes you sick every time he does it. Huckabee will absolutely stay in the race, “with the Widows mite” Mainly because he is an absolute Mormon Hater.

Another comment made earlier by a miss guided soul. They said if Romney got into the Whitehouse our taxes would go the Mormon Church. More uninformed Mormon Haters taught by their Paid Ministry saying things that are just plain stupid. Mormons pay tithing to build churches, help the needy, all over the world. They unlike you do not have a paid ministry. On the welfare help please check the record, just stick with the facts.

February 6, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. Don

They are also the most unitelligent of all voters next to Mike Hukabee.

February 6, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. Ike

This election clearly exposes voters illitracy and riotous emotion that blind reality.Gender, race, charisma, smooth talk, eloquency, likability conservatism are canker warms that degrade the fabric of our political process and becloud our view of awful reality; what a shame. Our nation political destiny any hope?My name is Sam and I approve this message

February 6, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  14. master of genius

everyone please save all your breath, Mccain will win, because he have a good heart. if you want to vote, make sure you vote for Mccain and be happy with it. Thanks

February 6, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  15. Shannon

Uhhh... "hello" of course Huckabee is playing the "religious card"... HE'S CHRISTIAN... THAT'S WHAT CHRISTIANS DO... WE GIVE PRAISE TO OUR LORD... IN OUR THOUGHTS, WORDS AND DEEDS. He's a man of great substance that stands by the MORALS our entire FAITH is about. THAT is what makes him such a good candidate! THAT is what this Great Nation, that YOU live in is based on... CHRISTIANITY! As far as him having a strong pro life record, of course he does... AGAIN... CHRISTIANITY. I used to think that it was a terrible thing for the government to step in and be able to decide what I can do with "my" body. It's all how you LOOK AT IT THOUGH. Through maturity and wisdom and a stronger relationship with the Lord, I've come to realize it's not so wrong to allow the government to have a say, if it's coming from "biblical" reason and not just the government flexing it's muscle. I had an abortion when I was a teenager. I know my Lord forgives me, but will I ever be able to fully forgive myself is the question. Really the only SHAMEFUL thing, is that I felt I "HAD NO OTHER CHOICE", like a lot of teens. IF MORE SUPPORT, physical, emotional, financial, was made a priority and made available for girls/women, they wouldn't FEEL THEY HAD TO. If ABSTINENCE outside of marriage was VOCALIZED more, instead of "SEXUALITY" being crammed down young peoples throats, there would be less abortions and no need for anyone to step in. Of course there are unique situations like incest or rape, that the woman of course SHOULD be able to abort, but those are not the greater percentage. WHY would things have to revert back to "back door coat hanger procedures"? Why not support PRO LIFE because it's the RIGHT thing to do and tell these girls/women "WE ARE HERE FOR YOU, WE HAVE SUPPORT ALREADY IN PLACE FOR YOU", and stop telling them "Go ahead honey, go sleep with whoever, it's easy to abort it if you get pregnant".
    GO HUCKABEE! In God we TRUST... or at least America "at one time did".

February 6, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Charlotte

I want to know how many blacks voted for each candidate? How many women? How many of them were black. How many Hispanics? How many with a college degree? How many Asians? How many under 25? How many over 40? What was the median income of each group. The media seem to think the democrats need to know these little details?

February 6, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  17. truthincampaigns

Hey, wait just a dadgum minute! John McCain is a champion of ethics and campaign reform. He's a proud and prominent member of the Keating Five, which should all bloggers need to know about.

Go search on this and get yourself educated before you hang labels on him. If you must, then label John McCain as one of the exclusive Keating Five principals!

-Truthincampaigns