February 6th, 2008

Schneider: How trends played out nationally

(CNN) - Highlights from the national exit polls show how key trends played out tonight.

On the Democratic side:

–Hillary Clinton carried white voters over Barack Obama, 52 to 43 percent. Obama carried black voters 82 to 16 percent. Clinton won Latinos 61 to 37 percent, and Clinton carried Asians 68 percent to 30 percent.

–Not surprisingly, the economy ranked as the top issue. Clinton had a slight edge with these voters, 50 percent to 46 percent. The war in Iraq was also an important issue for Democrats tonight, and those voters preferred Obama by 15 points. Clinton clearly benefits from the war becoming less a concern among Democratic voters.

–Clinton won 52-43 among those who didn't graduate from college. Obama beat Clinton 54-42 among those with a college degree.

–Clinton had a 5-point edge among Democrats, while Obama had a 21-point lead among independents.

On the Republican side:

–Romney beat McCain among conservatives, 42 percent to 30 percent. Huckabee won 21 percent of the conservative vote - though among Southern conservatives, the former Arkansas governor was the top choice, beating Romney 41 percent to 28 percent. The moderate vote overwhelmingly went for McCain over Romney, 52 to 24 percent.

–The top issue was the economy, and those voters favored McCain over Romney by 9 points - despite Romney's emphasis of his economic credentials.

–Nearly half of Republican voters said they were looking for a candidate who shared their values, and those voters favored Romney by 7 points. But McCain easily one among voters looking for a candidate who says what he believes, has the experience, and has the best chance to beat a Democrat next November.

Related: Watch Bill Schneider break down Super Tuesday by the issues

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. youfunnyjohnsmith

You must be an exception to the 'Obama beat Clinton 54-42 among those with a college degree.' because I think most people who went to college know how to spell gullible. Then again, I doubt these 'findings' are statistically significant. Either way..grow up.

February 6, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  2. k

i'm so sick of hearing obama and clinton bicker back n forth. truth be known... illinois is one of the most corrupt states i've lived in. check out governor after governor.. one in jail, one on the way. yay for illinois.. lets throw our senator in office!! take those values to the white house...

February 6, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  3. Eric

Let us look at the states going forward. Are these open or closed primaries? It is very obviously that Missouri (and whoever really won it) was close based on GOP and independents voting so...

February 6, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  4. S. Pieters

So sad, All you feminists, this is no indictment of women, just Hillary. She CANNOT unite the country. Have you seen the polls???? Or do you just care about what whom you want to win? She has a negative rating of 48% of the country. Now tell me this, if you want a change and you want to unite the country, how is that possible with Hillary as the president????

So sad.........

February 6, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  5. Informed Democrat

Wow- the Obama supporters on this post sure come across as entitled arrogant brats! It is well known -when you get past all of the rhetoric- that Obama and Hillary are essentially the same on issues. Primary exception being Universal Health Care. She has a better plan that covers more people and doesn't cost much more. Since you Obama geniuses are so brilliant, I'm sure you've read the big article in NY Times by Krugman. Or the MIT study.
    Be informed.

February 6, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  6. jeanette

Vince, Los Angeles went hugh for Hillary. If they are all ignorant, you might think about moving to Utah

February 6, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  7. Lawyer2B

Is there anyone watching CNN that still doubts that they are pro-Obama? I have never seen such deliberate, hateful, spiteful behavior on television.

Its as if somebody took Wolf Blitzer's binky or blue blankie or something. They have been on the air since 7pm EST and have done nothing but bash, insult and humiliate Hillary Clinton. The only person there speaking up for Hillary is poor Paul Begala and they've got him stuffed in a corner somewhere.

Bill Bennett looks like he'd rather be anywhere else, and Cafferty couldn't bear to watch so he didn't even stay.

Hillary is America's choice. Is CNN going to side with America? Or themselves?

February 6, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  8. BETH

Why in where blacks vote more..does everything go to Obama but anywhere else the whites at least vote for Obama too?

February 6, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  9. tess

john smith, it's gullible. although many people probably are not as well-educated as you are they are not ignorant. although they are misinformed by the media they are wise enough to look out for their own interest. they know who can do the job for them. they have found their champion. the gullible ones are the one who vote for the candidate who won't work for them–the champion of the elitist. the candidate who prefer arugula to collard greens or cabbage. i am proud to say that i am one of those "guillable" one that you are referring to–and yes i choose hillary clinton.

February 6, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  10. Alex Treiber

Ignorant? Please.

The American People are finally making sense of their politics. They are finally voting with their minds rather than their guts. The last President, George W. Bush, moved the people with his "next-door-neighbour" attitude. Today, the people of America voted for substance over character. Hillary Clinton has a plan to take the nation to a better place than it has been in 8 years. Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States.

February 6, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  11. MO

II: I think most of us Asian voted out of name recognition, not necessarily on the issues and personality. They know former president clinton very well. Thus, majority of Asian voting for Hillary is not surprising to me. I'm dissapointed too

February 6, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  12. Brian Metzger

Hillary will get creamed by McCain in the generals...she is the candidate of the Democratic party and her support is mostly by name recognition and in the states that the Democrats already usually win – Obama is winning in the states the Dems have to pick up to beat McCain.

February 6, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  13. john

To all those who can't tell, the delegates are not nearly all counted for. It is highly possible to win more delegates without the popular vote. By daybreak we could see different counts then now, and with the close number of delegates I don't think there is any clear winner. I personally think that each candidate is going to have a tough time ahead, but considering how fast Obama can move up polls, it is very unconvincing for me that people believe Hillary is still a show in. Especially considering how much more money Obama is able to obtain. I think the best part, despite seeing what kind of dumb comments I can read in forums, is that Americans are engaging themselves in the political process. If we can continue doing so, it can mean greater things for this country besides who is the winner of the election. People can finally show that we are willing to vote for what we believe in and perform our civic duty as Americans.

February 6, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  14. Daniel Menchaca

when the Blacksin South Carolina and Georgia overwhelmingly voted for Barack the Latino voters were placed on noticed that they may be left out again in the future of their race and their childeren and their politics. Please note that Mexico does not claim any blacks as citizines. Not any one of the canidaties running for their parties did this, rather it was the Black Voter. Look out for this trend – the Latino Voter moving away from the Black Candidate. The WAR and the ECONOMEY be dammed!!

February 6, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  15. Kevin of RI

Hillary is not America's choice. She is the entrenched do nothing Democrat choice (who dominate the primaries). If she is the nominee it might as well be McCain. There's no difference (hello Iraq war). The same old same old. All talk til she gets the power.

February 6, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  16. R Stone

Obama says I'm afraid of change, I disagree, I'm not afraid of change I do want change I feel its time for a BIG change, its time for a woman to be in the White House.
    I'm 66 yrs old and the United States needs change. Men have had a 300 yr run and have not had a very good track record.
    Obama argued with Hillary and said its not about race, but thats all I hear in his speeches and his wifes speeches and when Oprah introduced Obama's wife thats what I heard. Its a little much. I'm afraid that if he gets into office we will hear a lot more about civil rights. Don't get me wrong I'm all for civil rights I'm part Native american, but we have more to do here in america.
    I just wish someone would care more about making the United States a place where all can live comfortably right now,, the only people that can is the rich. Right now each month I have to choose if I can buy my meds or eat, but if I have to go to the Dr. with gas prices as high as they are I have to drop a meal in order to go. I have insurance for the Dr. but my car won't go unless it has gas. So I see Hillary wanting to help in these areas. So I VOTE for Hillary

February 6, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  17. NewZealander in USA

I am a Political Sciences Professor from New Zealand, I have lived in the US for 2 years and though my political affliation is Republican, I am watching the democratic race very closely.

When you put the names Obama and Clinton side by side and ask "who earned the right to be the Democratic candidate?" Both are qualified candidates who bring a lot to the table.

The defining difference between them is that Hillary Clinton would not even be in this race if she wasnt married to Bill Clinton. She has had years in the political spot light, which has brought her name recognition. Barack Obama, however, has been a virtual unknown as a Junior Senator but it's his vision and his ability to communicate his vision that has moved the American people, moved them enough to get them out of their political ruts and make change.

I can see it in Americans eyes; they want to be inspired, they want to be united and they are starting to see he is that opportunity. With all her clout and Bill campaigning for her, Obama is still neck and neck and surging (within 100,000 votes, of nearly 12 million votes)

I think Barack Obama is what American desperately needs. I will also conceed that Hillary is an expectional candidate as well and it will be an awesome run to the nomination.

February 6, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  18. Asian guy in LA

As a proud Asian, I voted for HILLARY! We are smart, we don't just listen to words, swayed with actor endorsements or listen to biased pundits, we read between the LINES. Obama does not offer anything, he says things to cover for his inexperience. HILLARY has substance and we believe on her vision! THANKS TO ALL ASIAN AMERICANS WHO MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE TONITE! Let us carry the fight to the White House!

February 6, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  19. Don

Not only did Obama win more states, he may very well have won more delegates tonight. Count the pledged delegate total won tonight when it is all over. No, not the "supers", the ones people actually voted for. Hillary will not be ahead by much, if any. Obama is going into approx. ten states in a row that he can do well in. He has more money raised and greater possibility to raise more, as several of her donors have already maxed out.

By the time March 4th is here with pivotal elections in Ohio and Texas, Obama should have a delegate lead and a surge of momentum. He has plenty of money to advertise. Given this and the number of days between Feb. 19th and March 4th (where there are no elections and Obama can campaign in those states heavily) he could come out of March 4th in command of this campaign.

Tonight could well be the last hurrah for Hillary.

February 6, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  20. Patty

IGNORANT?! PLEASE.
    Ignorants those who voted for Bush in 2004 again. (must be you)
    If you want another Republican President again you are the ignorant.

I go for Hillary, but as long as there is a DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT I think the country will be at BEST!

They will clean all of Bush dirty, unintelligence which is a lot of things he messed up in the US.

February 6, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  21. Albert

Iam from texas and iam voteing for hillary go hillary keep up the good work

February 6, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  22. Another Hillary's fan

Hilary beats Obama in the primary votes, which is what counts in general election. Winning caucuses is NOT winning votes. I am proud to be one of college educated Asian American who voted for Hilary in California.

Obama is all about hype, no substance. He keeps saying he can make changes, but he has no real experience in doing it, nor does he know how to make real changes. Talk is cheap!

Way to go, Hilary!

Hilary 2008

February 6, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  23. Inga

As for John Smith questioning the education of Clinton voters , I suggest in future you do a spell check to cover up your own lack of education..,

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  24. Robyn

If Obama doesn't get the election Oprah can alway hire him! I'm so sick of celebrities! I don't care what they have to say more than the next person. What gives them the right? Because they are rich and famous? That doesn't sound to democratic to me.

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  25. Republicus

A week and a half ago, Obama was expected to win the following states:

Illinois

Today, he won a majority of them and when the votes have been tabulated (and the pundits have fallen asleep), Obama will lead in delegates. The oustanding superdelegates will give Obama an even larger lead.

An amazing night for change – not so much for the status quo.

February 6, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |