February 7th, 2008

Clinton loans herself $5 million

Clinton said Wednesday she loaned her campaign $5 million in January.
Clinton said Wednesday she loaned her campaign $5 million in January.

NEW YORK (CNN) — Democrat Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign $5 million in January, the New York senator said Wednesday.

"I loaned the campaign $5 million dollars from my money," she said at a press conference at her Arlington, Virginia headquarters. "I loaned it because I believe in this campaign and I think the results last night proved the wisdom of my investment."

Earlier Wednesday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson confirmed reports Clinton had lent her campaign money in January, and said "The loan illustrates Sen. Clinton's commitment to this effort and to ensuring that our campaign has the resources it needs to compete and win across this nation."

The news comes days after Barack Obama's campaign announced it had raised $32 million in January alone. Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe later said the Clinton campaign raised less than half that in the same period — about $13.5 million. The $5 million Clinton loaned to herself was in addition to the $13.5 million she raised.

In his statement Wednesday, Wolfson also said Clinton's Super Tuesday victories have brought in a fresh wave of campaign cash.

"We have had one of our best fundraising efforts ever on the Web today and our Super Tuesday victories will only help in bringing more support for her candidacy."

According to Clinton's latest Federal Election Commission report, had roughly $18.5 million cash on hand that could be spent during the primary season heading into January’s initial contests.

News of Clinton's loan came the same day the campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail to supporters with the goal of raising $3 million in three days.

"We had a great day yesterday," the e-mail said. "Now we must keep that momentum going. You have sustained me throughout this journey, and I am calling on you again to give our campaign the resources we need to win critical upcoming races."

Related: Watch Clinton tout Tuesday's outcome

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Adam P. Levy

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Joey

Hillary Clinton also raised over 3 million in less than 24 hours and expects to raise 6 million in the next 3 days, funny how there is no headline on that huh?
    As I said before, CNN has become the lapdog of the rabid Obama Circus...
    I think that the reason why pre-election polls are always wrong is because the media ALWAYS downplays Hillary's strength and resiliency and chooses to praise Obama's Circus as the second coming of Christ. But as continue to see, Hillary holds her own and her supporters aren't going to let blind, rabid Obamaland take the nomination as easily as they think... She has fended off this "tsunami" thus far hasn't she, where is the story on that?

The media and his supporters underestimate her at their peril. Her supporters (like myself) see right through the kumbaya rallies and rock concerts and hope to elect a PRESIDENT, not award an academy award.

So, CNN, surprise me again and post this comment.

February 7, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. Nelson, Colorado Springs Co

nothing wrong, can Mrs Clinton claim the 5 million on taxes as a deduction

February 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. MC- Atlanta,GA

Go Hillary Go!

February 7, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Melinda

Why is the same post on the Political Ticker twice? Bias, anyone?

February 7, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Nancy from MA

Nice to see the illiterate Obama supporters have posted their comments.

She has full right to contribute to her campaign, as I will also be doing today.

Hillary: You have shown us you can win the REAL states that count and I know that you will be the next President of the United States of America.

February 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Jay

to tommk – She is spending her money because she KNOWS she is the better person to run this country. She doesn't have Oprah and the OLD Kennedy Family who from what I think IS everything Obama is against.

2nd – OBAMA WAS NOT IN THE SENATE TO VOTE FOR THE WAR. Who cares he says he was against it. He was NOT there to show us how he would have voted. I'm so tired oh him and people like you who use this defense. Since he has been in the Senate, he has voted to FUND THE WAR right?

3rd, She might have voted for the Iran thing but where was Obama, that's right, NOT THERE TO VOTE. He had some sorry reason like all his other miss vote, present votes or no shows.

4th – What has Obama done to show he can fix the economy? NOTHING? He has been in the Senate long enough. He was only there on year before he left to run for President.

5th...WHAT CHANGE IS OBAMA GOING TO BRING? What has he done. TELL ME??? Tell me what he is going to Change. We know he would be the first Black President, We know he would be a Democrat, We know he will not be Bush??? So what CHANGE will he do????

February 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. MC- Atlanta,GA

Its so funny to see right wing nuts try to tear down the Clinton's. Because all they ever use are pathetic attacks, like the Clinton's took Furniture- OF COURSE THEY DID, ALL PRESIDENTS, INCLUDING YOUR BELOVED RONALD REAGAN DID! God ...get a hobby...

February 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. J McCain

AJ

You're wrong my friend. Obama is a stand up guy and I look forward to running against him in November.

February 7, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Suzanna Doiron

I think you are all going to get a big surprise when you see how many people are going to donate to Hillary this week .I am so sick of the Obama show.Remember (A NEW BROOM SWEEPS CLEAN ) .But if he gets the nomination the OBAMA SLANTED MEDIA and the republicans will spend all there time digging up anything they possibly can to hurt him. The truth is Hillary has been there done that .Theres not much more to hear. I promise you he will have things that will hurt him.We all do.I am a Democrat and as such will vote for our the one that wins our nomination but I know in my heart it,s time to put our country in the hands of a WOMAN after all they are the ones that really run the family,s and have been doing a good job of it .I know this is going to fire some people up but the fact is ,sometimes the truth hurts.Women know how to put families together when they are fractured and I believe she can put this wonderful country back together after a tough election.
    THERE ARE THOSE OF US OUT HERE WHO BELIEVE IN LOYALTY TO HILLARY FOR HER MANY YEARS OF HARD WORK.AND LOVE BILL FOR HIS .
    A TRUE DEMOCRAT, SUZ

February 7, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. ed

Look, we really need to find out how Hillary has a net worth of 40 million when she claims to have spent the last 35 yrs as a public servant. I mean, the question really is an obvious elephant in the room that should be answered now before the republicans put her wealth under their microscope and find skeletons they could use against her in the general election. I'm serious, please CNN or some reporter, please investigate and tell us how she has so much money. It's clear people would be interested so that should help your ratings. Thanks.

February 7, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. Farrell, Houston, Tx

AJ, no matter how angry you get your accusations are unfounded. Because you haven't been reading or watching Obama's campaigning it's not expected of you to have the facts. So unpack your suitcase because you're carrying around a lot of baggage.

February 7, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. Tim

yes... exactly what ARE the terms of this investment... er, I mean loan.. ???

February 7, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Xavier, Washington, DC

Perhaps if she were a little more "inspiring" she would get more donations and not have to self-fund.

February 7, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. MARIE

have been in prayer most all day. I have tried to shake this warning in my spirit, but without success. Then I got an email from a minister friend of mine whose father used to be the pastor of William Branham's Church. She reminded me that Branham had prophesied that it would be during the time of a Woman President that the judgment would fall on America. (Check His website) Many have stated that if it didn't, God would have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah. I am not speaking of the fact that it is a woman it and of itself. I am talking about the morals.

After what they called "Super Tuesday," Hillary Rodham Clinton is even closer to the White House as ever before as is Obama. I do not normally get involved in politics. However, in these last days, we must be sure that we are doing what God wants us to do in this election. I am not here to prophesy for you to vote for one or another. No, not at all. God gave you a free will choice. (Deut 30:19) But you have to make sure that your free will choice is the choice that God wants you to make.
    If you will remember, there are many times in the Word of God, that prayer changed God's mind. Prayer changes things. We must pray for God's will and not who we would like to see win the election. Some want a black president so badly, that they don't care about his politics whether right or wrong, whether Islamic or Christian. Some want a woman so badly, they will accept her morals and politics for the same reasons. We have all heard the stories. We have witnessed her stand by her man after he has shown a lifestyle of adultery. Is that a good trait? or bad? The biggest issue is when will we stop voting with our pocket books instead of our honor. I have seen too many vote one way, when they knew he was evil, because he was good for their pocketbooks. We have power and authority in the name of Jesus to change things for the good. We must use it. There is an old saying that fits this situation. "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." (Sir Edmund Burke.) This is what is wrong with America now. Christians have sat on their backsides instead of using the authority which has been given to them in the name of Jesus to do some good in this world. We have the opportunity here to see the greatest revival ever imagined right now as this world heads for its end. We just have to use what belongs to us already! It is the promises in His Word and authority in the Name of Jesus.

February 7, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  15. Cindy

Is it legal for OPRAH WINFREY to make contributions to Obama using names/addresses obtained at campaign rallies or her audiences?

February 7, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Erik in NC

"UPDATE: CNN's Candy Crowley confirms some senior Clinton campaign staff members have agreed to go without pay for a month."

The shake-up is coming....

February 7, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. KYLA ATLANTA,GA

She should be blessed that she has 5 million dollars to loan to her campaign. Obama wasn't born with a silver spoon like her so why does it matter if she loaned herslef money and Obama raised his? I dont feel any pity for her. I hope shes not trying to play the "underdog" role and compare herself to McCain who ran out of money. Romney used his own money for his campaign but hes not complaining. Obama just has more loyal supporters/endorsers who actually belive in him. Maybe your supporters aren't so loyal after all Hillary. This is rediculous....I could care less where you got ur money as long as you didn't stick up a church of something. Just keep campaigning and show America what you've got to offer us.

February 7, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. Republican

WAIT, Hillary is going to "LEND" her own campaign money? That seams a little shady, I guess that means HIllary will somehow, magically, get her money back?
    She'll probably just get repaid by her lobbyists, since the lobbyist can't legally give more money, so HIllary will loan her campaign money, then her lobbyist will repay her. How can ANYONE support Hillary, she's SOOO unethical..

February 7, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. John, N.H

Yesterday, a Democratic precinct chair from Colorado reported about being curious as to why Obama did so well in the Colorado caucuses (including hers) but only so-so in the nearby New Mexico caucuses. Some investigation showed that the New Mexico caucuses were in reality primaries: people came in, voted, and went home. There was none of the open discussion of the candidates that characterizes the caucus process as we have described here earlier this year. This tends to confirm the theory that Obama does better when there are small groups discussing the candidates where his cadre of enthusiastic supporters can try to convince other voters that he is the best person for the job

February 7, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Independent from Virginia

Bill can raise 7 million in one Deal with any crook from kazakhistan. He can remove 7 millions from his charity.

Take that all you Obama lovers

February 7, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Angie in Chicago

Obama has raised millions from loyal supporters, my congrats to him and his campaign. I will be donating to Hillary because I am a loyal supporter of hers.

Lets not be naive to think there is no candidate that hasnt been influenced by big corps. Im from Chicago and I know full well that both Barack and Clinton have big biz interests.

February 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  22. Confused in Midwest

To AJ: You can look at the financial donations for any politician and you will be impressed to see that Obama gets his donations from people, like you and me. $200 each for the millions of supporters is a lot and all the celebrities do donate a good chunk of money. Do not go around attacking someones character because they do a good job at something that your candidate failed at. This is another reason Hillary should not be the candidate, she cannot raise money for her campaign! Using your own money and not paying your own workers shows that people do not support her.
    Stop being ignorant, it's ugly.
    OBAMA '08.

February 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Jose Card - Independent

If Hillary were to be elected, Bill can be the cash registrar at the White House as gifts to the spouse do not have to be reported, and Hillary can pay back with her presidential power.

The Clintons know their 5 million dollars would have been the best investment of their life, if we were dumber.

February 7, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  24. Carl

Well she has only raised 110 million for her cause, which is ridiculous in itself... so why not give another 5 million?

February 7, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Jeff

She probably charged the campaign a 50% interest rate on the $5 mm loan, so at the end of the day, I would call it a good investment too.

February 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |