February 7th, 2008

Huckabee vows to continue campaign

(CNN) - Mike Huckabee said Thursday he will continue his quest for the Republican nomination, and directly appealed for support from backers of Mitt Romney’s now suspended presidential bid.

"As a true authentic, consistent, conservative, I have a vision to bring hope, opportunity and prosperity to all Americans, and I'd like to ask for and welcome the support of those who had previously been committed to Mitt," Huckabee said in a statement.

Full story

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. R Moore

I wish Romney would have bailed out earlier. Huckabee would be in a completely different position with most conservatives splitting between Mitt and Mike. Can we do Super Tuesday over?

February 7, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. tomdavie

Romneys move here to heal his image and help the party is to pledge all of his delegates to John Mc Cain.

This will put Mc Cain over the top and crush Huckabees hopes of a vice president bid.

February 7, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. Bob Knight

Both McCain and Hbee can go to H

February 7, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. JasonV, Oklahoma City, OK

With only 50% of delegates accounted for I'd stay in too! Huck-A-Boom

February 7, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. JasonV, Oklahoma City, OK

The dark horse has emerged!

February 7, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. Phil from Dallas

I can only hope that Obama beats Hillary in the democratic race. I cannot support McCain or Huckabee.

February 7, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. Eric

He is not Mitt Romney, but he is a TRUE conservative. As long as Huck is in the race he has my back. When he bails, I will not vote.

February 7, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. Hamburgesa

CORRECTION – It is a THREE man race! Ron Paul is in for the long haul! Please stop ignoring him and printing inaccurate remarks.

February 7, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. J P

this is NOT a two man race! Ron Paul is the true conservative!

February 7, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Bil TGH, Streamwood, IL

When the Democrats gain more seats in the Senate and House this November, we can all blame George Bush and Dick Cheney.

When the Democrats gain control of the White House in November, we can all blame Mike Huckabee.

February 7, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  11. Joe

I think Huckabee would be a good VP selection for McCain. He would bring conservative balance to the McCain administration

February 7, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  12. Jo

Hucklebee will keep going because he wants the vice presidential spot of the ticket. He doesn't really care how he gets to Washington, as long as there is a free house and staff to help run it.

February 7, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. al

cool..now Republicans can have a clear choice between subservient Theocracy and blatant warmongering

February 7, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  14. Marty

Much as I hate McCain, stick a fork in Huckabee – he's done.

February 7, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. Mark in Iowa

Mike, now we will see how much McCain needs you now. He will not be Mr. Nice Guy anymore. If you wanted the support of the Romney voters maybe you shouldn't painted him in such negative light.

February 7, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Rob

Not a chance we'd vote for Huckster-his dirty tricks are the only reason Romney isn't in today. Huckster doesn't have the intelligence or honesty to even be running for Pres,. You're ruining the party Huck and all for your ego.

February 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. self

Funny how he's welcoming in the supporters of the person he's had such hateful things to say about.

February 7, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  18. Derek, Honolulu HI

What about an aggressive, pre-emptive, trillion dollar foreign policy is conservative? Can anyone tell me?

Ron Paul is the only conservative left in this race.

February 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  19. jack

Fair tax, fair trade, 'Fair and Balanced'. Some tells me that 'fair' is only for a small group of people in his country...and I'm not one of them. Hummm....if Fox news tells me I'm wrong, what should I do?

February 7, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  20. R. A. Kett

I'd like every conservative who is depressed about Romney's departure from the contest and is weary to support McCain to consider this: you don't have to support McCain. Who's to stop you from voting for a true conservative voice of your choice? The time is now for the true conservative voice to reemerge in American politics. Unite behind one guy, though. No sense in twenty million angry conservatives voting for twenty million ideal conservatives.

February 7, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Robert Martin

Yeah–Go Huck!! Back to AR-KANSAS, that is. If Romney couldn't beat Mac by simple operation of mathematics–what in blazes makes you think you can? You are even further behind than he was. Maybe you preachers and mormons should remember that bit about "Render unto Caeser" and stay the heck out of secular matters. I am a Christian, and the only theocracy I wish to live under is the one Christ establishes upon His return. So follow His good example, and return to Arkansas.

February 8, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |