February 7th, 2008

McCain tries to make his case with conservatives

Sen. John McCain has emerged as the front-runner in the race for the GOP presidential nomination.

(CNN) - GOP front-runner John McCain is heading to Washington to try to convince a conservative-rich conference that he's their man.

Despite big wins in the Super Tuesday contests, McCain has yet to secure the support of his party's conservative side.

McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul are all to speak during the three-day Conservative Political Action Committee conference.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Stace Sirmans

He's not conservative!!! C'mon people!!!

February 7, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Doug

This guy is a disaster for the Republican party.

Maybe its why he decided not to leave the party

in 01. He could do more damage from the inside!

February 7, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. Shrum

John McCain has a former Mexican governmental official on his advisory staff that has over the years, on multiple occasions publicly expressed strong anti-American rhetoric along with a strong anti-borders message.

February 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Steve Blaine Washington

McCain is not only not a conservative but anti mormon and these people will never vote for him because of his anti Mormon Statements.
    He is also not a natural born citizen elgible to run for President under the Constitution. I have around 20 references from Constitutional Convention, Constitution, Congressional Journal, Congressional Debates and some of John Jay records.
    I plan on send copies to every Congressman or Congresswoman starting today.
    I have voted Republican for almost 50 years and I would rather vote for Hillary
    or Obama than slick McCain.

February 7, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. WMW

He is a anti-south bigot! Why do you think Huckabee is winning now along with Paul!

February 7, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. Shane

what's the defintion of a conservative

February 7, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Dozirulf

Why are John McCain's arms so short? I mean look at that photo. He's like a tyrannosaur.
    Not only is he as old as a dinosaur, he also resembles one.

February 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Dan, Illinois

McCain will give amnesty to all illegal immigrants. I can never vote for this man. I hope Romney ends up pulling it off. Otherwise, I hope an intelligent Independent joins the race. GO ROMNEY!!!

February 7, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Roy Anderson

John McCain may not be a "dyed in wool" comservative but he far from being liberal. I would much rather have him in the White House than the "left wing" Hillary Clinton. Eight years of Clinton's was enough!

February 7, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  10. Peter

John McCain's a big boring liberal!

February 7, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. Snake Handler

Good night conservatives,have a nice vacation.

February 7, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. RM

I think its about time that the American voting public have some credible choices in candidates. So what if McCain can work with others to get important legislation moving? Thats what we, the people, elect politicians to do...NOT to just represent the interests of their political party. I admire his ability to flex and compromise to get things done. For far too long, we've allowed liars and theives to run government. Finally we have someone who might actually appeal to the silent majority of voters. If it were me, I wouldn't bother sucking up to the likes of Rush Limbaugh or the other neo-fascists. He seems to be gaining the support of plenty of just regular folks out there....we're smarter than YOU think.....Rush, take a pill or three and chill. I'm all for a man of integrity...not just another good ol' boy without a conscience. Good Luck John!

February 7, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Scott H. Clark

John McCain is a heroic figure of the past. I can't believe that he will be the standard bearer in an election against Barak Obama. The contrast is astonishing- youth vs. the VFW. McCain's comment that the US will be in Iraq for 100 years if necessary will tank him. With the departure of Romney, there is no Republican that I can support. I will not vote in November. His "conservatism" is feigned. And if the Huckster is his running mate, I will be tempted for vote for Hillary who is more conservative than either Huckabee or McCain.

February 7, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Rush

The Republican party as we know it, is no longer.

February 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. Bryan

I can't believe the news. Mitt is out. This is a sad day, my friends. He was the only honest-to-Gosh Republican nominee with the brains and real-world experience to guide us through the economic on-slaught ahead. Good luck to all of us. We're going to need it after Billary takes over....

February 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |