February 7th, 2008

Obama team lowers expectations for Potomac Primary

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe, engaged in some serious expectations-lowering heading into next Tuesday’s "Potomac Primary," made up of contests in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.

“You’re not going to see any of these states go 70-30 to anybody,” he said on a Thursday conference call with reporters.

Obama is expected to do well in those contests, all of which feature sizeable Obama-friendly demographics: African-American voters and well-educated, higher-income Democrats.

Still, several Hillary Clinton advisers told the Washington Post today that they will contest Virginia in particular, targeting women as well as working class white voters in the southwestern part of the state.

Plouffe said the Clinton campaign was “telegraphing” their Virginia strategy in the article and declared Virginia a “must-win” for Hillary Clinton, although many observers might say the same thing for Obama.

A campaign spreadsheet “inadvertently” leaked to the media yesterday showed the Obama campaign predicted a 50-48 victory over Clinton in the state on Tuesday.

Obama has several prominent endorsements in Virginia, including Gov. Tim Kaine and two Democratic congressmen. Virginia is also a purple-trending state – the kind of contest Obama hopes to win to prove he can re-shuffle the electoral map in November.

Plouffe said next Tuesday will be a “very big delegate day” (there are 168 pledged delegates at stake, divided proportionally) and that he expects Obama to add on to what he said was currently a 28-delegate lead over Clinton.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. B

As Virginian Republicans, my wife and I can't wait to cast our votes for Obama in Virginia's OPEN Primary next week!!!!!! In fact all our friends and relatives are doing the same. Let Obama and McCain duke it out in November....at least both are conciliatory and capable of reaching across the aisle. Something Hillary Clinton cannot and will not do.

February 7, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. cc

well of course he would lower expectations. if he didn't, you would have clinton crowing about how she is the NY Giants – and that analogy was very weak the first time around. whether she wins or loses, the clinton machine will be able to spin this into a huge victory for her, so the obama camp might as well make it a little harder for them.

February 7, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. rr

I think Obama will win these States. He's gaining momentum. He's a Politician with a great plan for Health care, the war and boosting our Economy! Also, he will support those who want to go to college with funding.

February 7, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. James

Public Citizen released a report detailing ten bundlers for Sen. Obama who have registered as federal lobbyists.

Sen. Obama has also taken money from former lobbyists, partners of lobbyists, people who hire lobbyists, lobbyists' spouses, and state lobbyists.

Until he started running for president, Sen. Obama took money from federal lobbyists and, as a state senator, directly from corporations.

February 7, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Helen

God Forbid BO gets the nomination. I am a working senior so I guess what I think will not matter. Not only that but I am poor and WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. Helen

Poor or not Hillary is getting contributions from me.

February 7, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. Hope is not Dream

Hope is not a dream or false. I beliebe that Obama will unite the country and has the ability to put wind under the wings of MANY who need it. I voted for Bill-TWICE-last time, and he did not do either of these things. I want to keep dreaming.

February 7, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Anson Ang

CONSIDER THESE FACTS

1. Barack Obama is 46 and NOT a kid. Bill Clinton took office in his
    40's hence those of you who say he is too young to run for office
    should SHUT UP!!!

2. Barack Obama will not give in to Hilary Clinton by being a VP and
    thats A FACT. Those of you who hope that Barack Obama will be Hilary
    Clinton's running mate, all I got to say is DREAM ON......

3. Many people are getting very tired with all that Clinton-Bush Dynasty,
    hence they want a change and trust me, THEY WILL CHANGE

4. Asian voters may not vote for Barack Obama, but why worry? Over the
    course of next 6 months, the fight will be in locations where Asians
    are not many. Hence, Barack Obama will get a good chance

5. 4 months ago before the Primaries kick start, CNN projected that the
    winner will be Hilary Clinton (Democrats) taking on Rudy Guiliani
    (Republican) Within the Democrats, Hilary Clinton was leading Barack
    Obama by almost 20% Today, Barack Obama has equalized with Hilary
    Clinton. The Primaries wont end till the next 6 months and judging
    from STATISTIC, Barack Obama will overtake Hilary Clinton.

6. Barack Obama overtaking Hilary Clinton is inevitable and eminent.
    There is NO WAY on earth the progress of Barack Obama CAN BE STOP.
    He will continue winning until he becomes the next nominee

By the way, I m an Asian too and I SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA!!!

February 8, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. Chris N

Intelligent Charlotte: It is "I consider myself AN intelligent....." not " I consider myself A intelligent......"

February 8, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. Roy M

Chris N, its obvious Charolette doesn't understand grammar, she can't even spell, look at the plural of Democrats. Now we know about the Intelligent Obama voters, HUH?

February 8, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |