February 8th, 2008

Clinton camp reports $8 million since Super Tuesday

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s campaign said Friday it had raised more than $8 million online since polls closed in California, and nearly $10 million since February 1.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson also said much of that money had come from roughly 75,000 new donors.

Wolfson added that the campaign will be able to spend roughly as much on television ads in upcoming contests as Barack Obama’s campaign – despite the fact that the Illinois senator has been on the air in states that vote over the next few days since well before the Super Tuesday votes.

Clinton’s campaign will begin airing ads today in states voting over the next few days, and will purchase airtime in Texas and Ohio next week.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Joan

1) Where does Hillary get $5 million? She was First Lady, and Senator, and I didn't know that paid that well. This money should be investigated.

2) I think the "cash crunch" was another linton ploy to get sympathy and paly the "Expectations game"

I don't trust the Clintons. Too sneaky.

February 8, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Ann Independent Media,PA

32 million, major endorsements, media hype and Senator Obama still took 2nd. I guess he should take back that Mitt Romney comment that he made during the last debate.
    Should have checked the applications for past emloyment experience for staffers and advisors...and do some rehiring. OOPS my bad expirience not required, will train the right candidate.

February 8, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. JA Cook

What a shame that our decision on the next President boils down to money races and news reports that are barely more than scorecards.

We're tired on rich guys spending lavishly to get themselves elected and of attack ads and spin, yet we're jumping right into the mud ourselves and perpetuating the circus atmosphere.

Where's a real discussion about issues?

How many of the people wanting health care know the real differences in what's being proposed? How many know what the conservative's philosophy about the environment is?

Let's all pursue a better level of discussion and thought. When the scores are all added up, we will live for years with the results.

February 8, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. enough is enough

There aren't enough Latinos or Asians in the world to beat McCain if Hillary is the Dem. nominee. McCain will win, because all whites conservative or not will see to that.

February 8, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  5. Amy in Iowa

Most of the donations are from Republicans. There is a conservative campaign to get her nominated because she will lose against McCain.

February 8, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. Melanie

Holly the Obama fan must not be a math major–8 million divided by 75,000= about $106 average donation. $50 was from me, and I'll send more if I have to! Also, that is 75,000 NEW supporters, it doesn't include the previous support. I will vote for Obama if he is the nominee, but it is time for a woman to be the president, and all of the attacks on Clinton will simply backfire, as they did in New Hampshire.

February 8, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Paul

Hey folks: Look at the hatred all the Obama supporters are spewing out. That tells you a lot about the person they are supporting, as he comes to us in the guise of political messiah who transcends politics, but is actually a false idol who will, I believe, cause much harm to the USA. I don't vote for idols invented by the media and Oprah. I'll vote McCain.

February 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Independent

No matter what CNN does or say Hillary is decreasing and she will lose to Obama.

February 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Against the Cult

I really really wanted to see the Democrats back in the white house. However, Obama has ruined this election for the democrats. Because of the media circus surrounding his cult following, whether Hillary or Obama win the nomination, a republican will be the next president.

February 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Mary

All this money makes me sick. Both Obama and Clinton.
    Just think of how many homeless vets we could have fed for 8 million dollars.
    It's all about the money. Shame on all of you.

February 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Viktoriya

It was surprise for Obama supporters that Hillary can raise money from regular people so quickly. Yes, we are staying by her.
    Also she got GRET endorsement from Woopi Goldberg, who was supporting Obama, but now is supporting Hillary. Whoopi explain that Hillary was the first candidate to propose taking tax breaks away from companies that ship jobs overseas.
    People are much smarter, than “yes we can”.

February 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. San from Chicago

Hey Holly from Kansas,
    You are sure a math genius.. it is 75000 new donors that does not mean all the new funding came only from these new donors.. so before you show us your math skills , check your facts.. by the way..
    I have never donated to any political candidate but I am sure sending my donation to Clinton.. Tired of " Yes we can change " slogan without any substance.

February 8, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Help Us Obama

Clinton voted for the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation in 2002, and nevertheless has 20 lobbyist-bundlers aiding her campaign, according to the Public Citizen report.

February 8, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Richie

The reason why she raised 16 million last month and has already raised about 10 million this month is because a lot of us didn't know she needed the money for the campaign, like myself.I'm donating money now and I will be donating more later. I have already heard from my friends that are also supporting her that they will be making their first donations. I'm awake, and I'm not foolish enough to think by making a speech a change can happen without working for it, or just showing up. It needs leadership and Hillary Clinton is the right one.
    If Obama get's the nomination, I will NOT vote for him unlike all the media is saying tat the Hillary supporters will go to him. I won't.

Hillary Clinton 08!!!!!!

February 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. ken

Just donated $500 to Hillary's campaign. She's a remarkable woman and a fighter. If Obama gets teh Democratic nod for the nominee I'll vote McCain in Nov. No novice in the White House!!

February 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  16. Patty

Obama is a chain smoker...what an example....sounds like an addictive personality...Hillary you are the BEST candidate by far...don't listen to the naysayers they don't have the facts.

February 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. Anthony

She'll only lose to McCain because of you bigots who say you will vote for McCain over Hillary. Otherwise, the smarter democrats will rally around whoever the democratic nominee is.

Still can't believe the idiocy on these forums.

February 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. jessica

lets go HILLARY

I CAN'T WAIT UNTILL YOU TAKE THE WHITE HOUSE WHILE ALL THE OBAMA PEOPLE JUST WATCH!!!!

GO HILLLARY

GO HILLARY

GO HILLARY

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Patrick

Keep the momentum going 10 million by midnight tonight!!

CLINTON 08!!

February 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. Benjamin

Seriously...Obama supporters don't unite anything, except themselves to spew hate against anyone else.

He is running on popularity only, like a high school presidential campaign.

February 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. Real Democrat

Let's see. Afraid to debate so that spending advantage means better chance to win primaries. Disenfranchise 1.7 million Florida Democrats and many more in Michigan because that was against the DNC rules, but try to change the DNC rules at the convention so that super delegates cannot vote (I guess that the rules are only to be enforced when they favor you). Really sounds like the "new politics."

Praise John Edwards to the sky, but make sure not to mention that his health care plane is just like Hillary's and his vote on the war resolution was the same as Hillary's. Never seemed to mention that. Obama seems to duck debates because he actually has to answer questions about policy.

February 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. Go Hillary

Florida and Michigan SHOULD count, they are americans too last time I checked! It is crazy that they cannot count. All the candidates were on the ballot in Florida, Hillary and other was on in Michigan. She won both, are we just going to ignore all these tax paying citizens? At our peril I think! We need those states in the general election and they will be none too pleased to be ignored and not involved in the process to even come out and vote. Big issue there. Do not penalize the voters for the actions of a few, it is does not make sense and is unconstitutional in my eyes.

February 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. Nancy in WA

I watched Hillary this morning in Tacoma and watched about 10-15 minutes of Obama in Seattle just to see what all the hype is about him. I don't know what the hype is around Obama he says nothing different than Hillary as a matter of fact i think that she sounds alot more caring then he does he sound like he is reading off a prompt. I really think that he takes some of her ideas and tries to make them his.

And I too believe that the media is all Obama and have been since day one!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. Bill Gates

I gave 20 million to Obama.

February 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  25. proud of hillary and her supporters

ron says he donated 1000 to obama last month, 1000 this month, and 1000 every month in the future. the max allowed by law is 2300, so i guess ron is saying he's breaking the law.

i'll donate to hillary until i get to the max, 50 or 100 at a time. then after she gets the nomination, i can legally donate another 2300. and i will. and i'm the world's biggest cheapskate. but this is too important.

February 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |