February 8th, 2008

Clinton camp reports $8 million since Super Tuesday

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s campaign said Friday it had raised more than $8 million online since polls closed in California, and nearly $10 million since February 1.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson also said much of that money had come from roughly 75,000 new donors.

Wolfson added that the campaign will be able to spend roughly as much on television ads in upcoming contests as Barack Obama’s campaign – despite the fact that the Illinois senator has been on the air in states that vote over the next few days since well before the Super Tuesday votes.

Clinton’s campaign will begin airing ads today in states voting over the next few days, and will purchase airtime in Texas and Ohio next week.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Joann

You go Hillary – your staff is great. I'm going to kick in too! Good luck and hope you win.

February 8, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Ann

That means Obama probably has double.. Boy you Clinton folks are guilble.

February 8, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. MISSOURI

I have to admit that was a great strategy to play the play the pit-me line to switch to small donors ... The Billaries know how to play their following – you have to give them that.

Personally, I would feel cheated as a Clinton supporter but I doubt that they ever get that. I think their strategy will play out well, just as it has up to now.

However, they underestimated Barack Obama before the primaries started and they think they can win the support of his movement when they smeared their way into the nomination ... I know Republicans who crossed over to Obama and I know many Democrats who voted for him here in Missouri. All of us will rather vote for McCain then for the Billaries.

Barack Obama is a once-in-a-generation candidate and if we nominate the same old politicians without reflecting on the issues and the path in the future, then the Democrats have to lose the November election – and they will.

OBAMA'08 !

February 8, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Linda

Oh No You Can't !!! The truth will always Prevail~
    We need a President, not a Preacher

Hillary 08'

February 8, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. js

Hill will create more apathy and disillusionment......which will have a pendulum effect and swing the vote to McCain...this has also been substantiated by media that she is more vulnerable to McCain due to her flip-flopping and inability to take a stand on issues and just jumps on the bandwagon on issue later on....when it is safe....

To me personally, she is very depressing, and not a change at all....look how she repeatedly references Bill's accomplishments....she is not Bill....

And why do all empowered women, and ALL female governors now endorse Obama??? Hillary is doing a disservice to women in this country....she is not able to work as a team.....ask the "secret" hillary team who have managed to escape......and they will tell you the truth...some are just staking out their territory and don't want to rock the boat...she is the establishment....

February 8, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Ken, Suitland MD

To the ignoramous from TX, NONE of the things you list are scandals. In fact, where people with brains have investigated, no evidence of Clinton wrong-doing ever came up.

The real scandal, is on TXans. You are the people who started the political career of our current diaster-in-charge. YOU should be ashamed.

Shall we make a list of the PROVEN scandels perpetrated on America by your political native son?

Get a brian!

February 8, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. mike

If Bill Ciinton had not disgraced himself while in office Al Gore would have won in 2000. There would have been no W presidency and we wouldn't have squandered tremendous amounts of national prestige, blood, and treasure in Iraq. Adding to his disgrace was Hillary "standing by her man", and claiming that Bill was a victim of a right-wing conspiracy, which we now know to be a lie just like his famous statement "I did not have sex with that woman". Hillary in all likelyhood cut a deal at that time with the Democratic party powers that led to her fake residency in NY and subsequential election to the senate. Both of them bear some blame for Iraq as a consequence of facilitating the Bush presidency. People who are now contributing and voting for her apparently either have very short memories or just can't connect the dots.

February 8, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Go USA

Obama/Edwards 08..this is the "dream team" America needs....

February 8, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. pd

President Clinton was treated unfairly by the opposition's supporters and the media. The ability for Obama's camp to take his comments out of context, incuding the J. Jackson comment, which most that were there say was part of a broader discussion of overall voting patterns in SC, and the media's willingness to spin it out of this context, was the real problem. As someone who has fought hard for all people, including African-Americans, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. As for Clyburn, his veneered attempt at neutrality was really what was contemptible and an abuse of his position. I am one of those people who finally was able to make something for myself under the Clinton policies and I don't forget loyalty to those who worked hard for me. This needs to be said! Obama's comments that Clinton represents the past, is so dismissive of a entire group of people (Clinton and his advisers) who worked very hard to make the world a better place. Just ask the people of Ireland how they feel about his brokered peace there. Not to mention the many things he did in domestic policy.

By the way, why hasn't CNN called Obama out for his comment that the opposition's "claws have come out." That is so degrading to women, and, yet, he gets away with this stuff time and time again. I would have voted for either one of them in the General Election when this began, but I will not vote for Obama if he is the nominee. Campaigning with Donnie McClurkin and using sexist comments like this as well as the free ride he has gotten with the press, means he really does not deserve my treasured vote. Finally, his arrogance that his supporters will not vote for Hillary, but Hillary supporters will vote for him, means he is in for a rude awakening. I've polled Hillary supporters and 4 of 5 said they would either stay home or vote McCaine.

Good luck Hillary and we will keep supporting you and donating to your campaign

February 8, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. brian

There is one way to win votes in democracy. Sweet talks (without substance), twist facts, get media bias, stick to identity politics and get endorsements from old political warriors while claiming CHANGE and patenting the word CHANGE.

Hillary is our leader!!!

February 8, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Jeff of Alabama

I have never donated money to any politician before. But this time, I am going to donate to Hillary's campaign. Because if Obama wins, I am going to vote Republican.
    I still find it very, very strange and discomforting that a newbie such as Obama can outraise a seasoned political figure.
    Who actually contributed to Obama campaign?

February 8, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Obama 08

...and Obama is leading in recent polling in Virginia by 20 point: 59 to 39..winning in all categories except those over 65

...and Obama has received the endorsements of two key governors: Chet Culver and Gregoire....Clinton is not getting the recent endorsements

...and recent polling reveals Mccain ahead of Clinton by 1% while Obama polls 5%higher than McCain

...I hope Obama doesn't play this ridiculous who raised more money games and just waits until the end of Feb to report...my bet is it will be way more

...if CNN wants to be thorough they would also be reporting on the "untruthiness" of Clinton's claims about her financial campiagn...

Obama supporter "keeping them honest"

February 8, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Vote 4 Hillary

Oh Leah & Lauren get a life. It's people like you why I can't stand Obama. You all are so negative and miserable. Why don't you put your tax returns out publicly? Hillary is under no obligation to have to show her tax returns b/c Obama "suggests" it. It's none of his business first of all, second of all its no one's business. Grow up people. You talk about change, well your not changing how the typicall American is always looking to point fingers and throw the blame someone else's way. Obama is really starting to turn negative and I hope I'm not the only one who sees that. I'm a die-hard Democrat but if this guy is our nominee, he's not getting my vote.

February 8, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Love Hill

Go Hillary Go!!! .
    Obama is only winning caucuses. In November, there will be no caucus. You are the real deal Hillary.

We got your back!!
    Go Hillary Go!!

February 8, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Wendy

I just sent in my first time donation to Hillary. Go ahead CNN. Keep going negative on her. It was your gloating over Hillary loaning her campaign 5 million that made me pull out the old credit card.

February 8, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Brian

I think this country needs workers, not cheerleaders.

February 8, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Joann

This goes out to Lauren who ignorantly states that Hillary is afraid to show her tax returns and who made her staff go without pay – first of all her staff volunteered becasue they support her and believe in her candidacy and second of all I don't think she's really had a chance to even respond to the "tax return" question but can't you see how "petty" Obama is starting to get. You can be if Hillary started doing things like this they would be giving her bad publicity or saying it's "racially motivated". We're dealing with a black candidate and everyone in the media is "scared to death" to throw jabs at Obama like they've been doing to Hillary. Obama is a big baby like I said all along – what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Go Hillary.

February 8, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. John

Ok..Here we go again.. For many who donated to Clintons cause although she's worth $50 million I dont get it...

February 8, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. LQ, Rochester MN

Doesn't it bother anyone that this woman stood up in front of "regular, every day people" and said how she LOANED out of her own pocket $5M to her campaign?? Aren't we all worried about the economy?? Contribute if you can, but I just thought this was an unbelievable statement to make in front of people who may be worrying about the price of gas, mortgage payments, their retirement, medical bills, etc.
    Did she pay the $5M back to herself yet?

I used to be a Clinton supporter – I supported her husband throughout his presidency, including through the impeachment proceedings – but in the last few months I have just become more and more disgusted. I really wanted to be able to vote for a woman for president – how exciting!!! But I no longer support her.

If I did support her still, that $5M comment would have ruined it for me.

February 8, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  20. Lee

I donated for the first time in my life to Hillarys campaign just yesterday.
    It gives me such pride to stand behind such a strong intelligent woman.
    She is not full of hot air like Obama the black baptist preacher – no she has substance in her proposals.

Hillary has a huge force of smart women and men behind her – and we are a force to be reckoned with. You better jump the obama wagon cause its headed for the water.

What is this about Obama pushing the wrong button to vote?????????? In the white house he will be playing with his GI Joes and hit the red button by accident – oops did I do that....Scary.

Contribute to Hillarys campaign for our future – she needs the help of the smart women and men of this country.

February 8, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. Ken, Suitland MD

"I'm not sure who I'm more baffled by…the one who manipulates…or the ones being manipulated"

Chris, as a wing-nut Busch supporter, it is ironic that you should bring this up......

LMAO. I love it when they step in the pile, and walk around for awhile, not even realizing how bad it stinks.

February 8, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Joann

To Natalee (the new immigrant to this country) – good for you. I'm not new to this country and I too am sick to my stomach on how Fox News, CNN, MSNBC etc. has supported Obama (a new comer) the whole time and bashed Hillary every step of the way. It's good to hear a "new comer" see what I see. I will not give those channels my business any more and I am making my donation to Hillary today – give what you can and you will get back ten fold believe me. A good president gives to everyone whether the morons out there care to admit it.

February 8, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. mary

I wonder if we will see Obama's tax record.......or to see where his campaign money came from......Maybe the Kennedy clan is financing it.

February 8, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. Karen

I'm going to keep on giving until I max out!

Go Hilary!!!!

February 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. JJ TORONTO ON

the Clintons campaign lacks originality- Right after OBAMA said he raised 33 millions , they want to outraise him to make a point – She came out crying again saying the camapaign was broke begging and twisting people arms to donate- Hillary you are old news- people see that- by the way you need to disclose your personal fortune if you are honest--

February 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |