February 8th, 2008

Clinton camp reports $8 million since Super Tuesday

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s campaign said Friday it had raised more than $8 million online since polls closed in California, and nearly $10 million since February 1.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson also said much of that money had come from roughly 75,000 new donors.

Wolfson added that the campaign will be able to spend roughly as much on television ads in upcoming contests as Barack Obama’s campaign – despite the fact that the Illinois senator has been on the air in states that vote over the next few days since well before the Super Tuesday votes.

Clinton’s campaign will begin airing ads today in states voting over the next few days, and will purchase airtime in Texas and Ohio next week.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Claudia

Go Hillary!, I am a first time contributor and will definately contribute again. I was inspired before she even announced she would run. I had already purchased all
    my Hillary gear. I do not fall for the Obama promises and will vote McCain if Obama wins.

February 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. brian

Too bad she had to lie to her supporters about her staffers going without pay to raise this money. And why is she so afraid to reveal her tax returns?

Don't know about you, but honest matters to me.

Lauren, when did she say she was afraid??

February 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Dem

Obama camp is in the midst of a beautiful hallucination if they believe that all Hillary supporters are coming their way if he wins the nomination.They are in for a very very rude shock in November.You have underestimated and undercut her support,but NO MORE.I and manty of my friends will be happy to vote for McCain or sit it out.

February 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. peace

Time Magazine just released it's latest poll- it clearly states that Obama has better chance at defeating McCain than Mrs. Clinton does. Obama has proven his appeal in the all regions of the country, with all races (except Hispanics), all income levels and varying ideologies.

A lot of people may not be aware of Mrs. Clinton's lack of courage with her vote for authorizing George Bush's war in Iraq- but they will become aware.

Hillary Clinton shouldn't even have to raise as much money considering that she is so well-known to the American people- half of whom don't really like her that much.

February 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. Dan, NJ

Donations to Hillary make McCain happy. The latest Time magazine poll:

Obama 48
    McCain 41
    (and Obama hasn't introduced himself to almost half the states)

McCain 46
    Clinton 46

2 or 3 S. Ct. Justices may retire and HRC's unlikability is the difference between a dead heat and a 7 point lead. Clinton fans, you can all tell us how much better ti felt when you had a 7 point lead.

February 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Mark

Reading the comments on this page reminds me why Americans ended up with eight years of Bush. Almost all of them are puerile.

From outside the goldfish bowl (England) it is clear that the following will happen: Obama will gain 25 delegates over Clinton at the weekend and another forty on Tuesday. The following weekend he will close down the difference with Wisconsin and Hawaii. Going into Texas, they will be all but equal, with Obama having more pledged delegates and Clinton more superdelegates (essentially the weaker position). Clinton will win Ohio, but Obama has a real opportunity to win Texas. Either way, they will emerge less than 30 delegates apart.

Obama has a fundamentally stronger fundraising base and through March and April that will cause Clinton problems. Whatever happens in Pennsylvania, Obama will win North Carolina and Mississippi and thus secure a majority of the states, as well as (at least) an equality of the delegates.

If Obama emerges with that position (and I believe he will), then Hillary ought to think seriously about what it would mean for her to be Leader of the Senate after Harry Reid, because her claim on candidacy will not be sufficient and support will melt away. As Shakespeare put it 'It was the gods, who once loved Anthony now leaving him'. Whether you like Obama or not, or think Hillary is the best thing ever to have happened to the Dems, the logic of what follows is against her.

February 8, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. Nigel Harrison

Jeff et all;

Spend more time readling and less time writing you would know that less than 3% of supporters for Barack have given the maximum $2300. He has a base of over 500,000 supporters. You do the math – 500,000 giving just $500 each over the course of 12 months is $250,000,000 – yes more than Bush raised for the 2004 re-election campaign from special interest groups, big oil, military companies, drug companies and others.

Unless you are a part of a lobbyist group, why anyone would support the same old back-door dealing and buying of public servants that has invaded this country is insane.

February 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Rose, MD

desperate times call for desparete measures. "I loaned my campaign $5 million?????"

February 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Hillary

The Ads on this webpage can be bought by Obama or anyone... If you have the money and bid higher at the affilate site.

February 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Williwwill

I said it before and I'll say it again, there are 29 democrates in my family. And shouln't Hillary be the democratic nominee, then we will all vote for the republician rather than this guy who's pretending to give a care...Thanks

February 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. Intellectuals

You cried before the NH primary to get sympathy votes....

Now you played this "poor me" trick to make people donate...

When will all these cheap tricks ever end....

Lets have the general election now and put an end to this travesty

CLINTON DYNASTY = DEMOCRATIC TRAVESTY

February 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. CeCe

I agree Lauren. Obama has remained consistent with donors, his staff, and has managed his campaign finances well. This says a lot about Obama. I don't think there is anything the formidible Clinton Machine wouldn't do in order to try and win this election. This includes psyching their supporters and staff out about the dire state of their campaign finances. Fiscal responsibility and smarts? Please.

Vote Obama 08'

February 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. T from EC

Hey Mark....

I know how you feel. If Hillary wins I'm voting for McCain too. So if you count the votes McCain will win despite what Democrate is the nominee. Don't think you Clinton supporters hold all of the power.

February 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. Rob

Something I don't understand. Hillary loaned her campaign 5,000,000 of her own money yet asks people to donate their money to the campaign and her staff are reportedly working without pay for at least a month. As comparison, Romney used 40,000,000 of his own money for his campaign. Someone please explain to me how Hillary can ask people to work for her without pay and donate which is not tax deductible while she "loans" money to her campaign. I suspect when the campaigning is done, the 5,000,000 loan will become a write-off as a bad debt.

Maybe what's good for the goose is good for the gander – everyone interested in donanting money to Billary should loan it instead.

February 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Veronica Ward

A lot of people, senators, govenors, the media – – have said that there are NO real difference between Obama and Clintons policies and values. So, it really does come down to leadership skills and yes "CHARISMA." So, you Clinton supporters can claim that all Obama has is charisma, well that's all he really needs at this point.

I have to point out that being a visionary is very important as well and Clinton, just doesn't have it. Going for the "devil you know" is just as bad a being afraid of change. Do you dare to dream of a better America? NOT JUST FINANCIALLY (those of you voting for Bill, oops I mean Hillary) BUT MORALLY AS WELL.

I for one would prefer a more morally correct America as well as an economically viable one. If we could bring some of our troops home (carefully) and not spend $9 million dollars a day on the war, we could get somewhere. Our safety is important, don't get me wrong but so is our economy.

It's not just about Obama's judgement not to go to war, but he knew it would be economically unviable to stay there forever. That's why he received my vote! It takes a visionary to understand how economics and the war go hand in hand.

GO OBAMA!!!!

February 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. CALIFORNIA LOVE

THE SLEEPING GIANT – just donated $1000.00 to Hillary... and will continue to contribute...

Hillary 08

February 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  17. Boomer 4 Obama

Just like the pre-primary tears, I can’t help but think Mrs.Clinton's CLAIM of a $5 million personal loan was another clever ploy to win sympathy votes. Besides, they need to keep the coffers stashed with cash all the way to Denver, when her campaign will hire high priced lawyers to sanctimoniously battle for the restoration of the voting rights of Floridians.

Look, everyone knew the Florida results wouldn't count but she came to Miami Beach on the Sunday night prior to the primary for private fund raising. Two days later, her plane landed here minutes after the polls closed. They said it wasn't a victory party but just "to thank her supporters". It was there that she vowed to fight to make all the Florida votes count!

Just say no to a 3rd term for The Clintons!

February 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. Becky in Indiana

I just donate $25 to Obama

February 8, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Gavin

My money is WORTH our future, our children's future, and the next four years of cleaning up the Bush-debacle.... I WILL CONTINUE TO DONATE BECAUSE I BELIEVE...

WE BELIEVE IS SENATOR CLINTON....

All the way Hillary!

February 8, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. KC in KC

Change We Can Believe In...but what exactly is that change?

I'm a little suspicious when a charismatic leader arises, promises to be a "uniter" and bring about change but doesn't specifically lay out what those changes will be.

I, for the first time, also made a political contribution and it was for Hillary.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

February 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. r sisk, nevada

To Captain.

Your post confirms the terror you face that a WOMAN can possibly be president. You certainly have the right to your opinion even if most of us consider it stupid. Go back to your cave.

By the way, are female donations any less valuable than males?

February 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  22. CNUHillaryFan

Just donated today! My money is part of the 75,000 new donations because I believe in Hillary.

Love you girl!

February 8, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. GEAUX HILLARY

I donated and will continue to do so over the course of the next months. Hillary IMO is what this country needs to get us out of the pit Bush has put us in.

February 8, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. ABC

If Hillary wins the nomination, McCain wins the presidency.

Don't be stupid. Obama's movement has doubled the past participation and that will evaporate if Hillary wins.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for McCain.

February 8, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. George

What it doesn't say is that 5 million of those dollars was money that she loaned to her own campaign. Shes running out of money. GO OBAMA

February 8, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |