February 8th, 2008

Clinton pokes fun at her flawed fashion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In the latest edition of Us Weekly hitting newsstands Friday, Hillary Clinton accompanies the celebrity magazine on a “greatest hits” tour of her past fashion faux-pas.

In a playfully-mocking four-page spread titled “My Worst Outfit Ever,” Clinton addresses some of her more debatable wardrobe choices during her life.

Clinton dodged blame for the striped pants she wore in the 1960’s, claiming "It's not my fault… It was the '60s." She also promoted her environmental policy while considering the massive, brightly-colored overcoat she wore at a Feed the Children event in New York City in 2000. "I'm a big believer in recycling – even carpets!” she said.

The spread might irk Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who last month railed the New York senator for backing out of a fashion shoot at the last minute.

Wintour accused Clinton of ditching the shoot out of fear of public perception. "We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine,” Wintour is quoted as saying. She added that “the notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying… This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

– CNN's Joshua Lederman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Lila

I saw this article and it made me laugh. Self-depracating is a good quality to have particularly when you've been in the public eye as long as she has. I didn't however see it as a statement on feminism. Chill, people.

February 9, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  2. Bess Moore

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBAMA ISN'T READY!!! HE IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE JOHN KENNEDY!!! GET OVER YOURSELVES!!! GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HILLARY O8!!

February 9, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  3. msummerlin

I've always thought that CNN was relatively impartial in it's presentation of the issues, but lately, I've noticed a biased rash of reporting in reference to Sen. Clinton. Not only does it seem that Sen. Obama gets more coverage on CNN, the coverage that CNN gives him is OBVIOUSLY more upbeat than that of the other candidates. What's up with NOT covering the relatively important issues that could help voters make a decision on a candidate, but instead running some benign story on a candidates comments over her wardrobe. Get real, CNN. Or you're going to lose this viewer.

February 9, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  4. John

We don't care how she dresses!
    What we care about is that she thinks Americans don't have health care because no one has garnished their wages and forced them to buy it! (Think insurance companies don't love her?)
    Obama thinks people don't have health care because they can't afford it.
    I hope everyone grasps the true magnitude of this key difference and her fascist mentality. She is not, nor ever has been part of mainstream America. She can visit the poor and underprivileged, she can learn when to smile and cry, and she can support token handouts to special interest, that serve no lasting purpose other than fooling the less enlightened into supporting her. But, she can't overcome her elitist upbringing and truly care about ending our suffering. When pushed for an answer for how she would enforce her plan, she said with her own mouth "go after people's paychecks". She has the mindset that most Americans aren't smart enough with their money and we should let the government spend it for us.
    Face it...A vote for Hillary is a vote for expanding economic slavery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We can be proud that America is ready for and would certainly accept a deserving woman as president. That deserving woman has not arrived.

February 9, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. MB

I'm so glad to see SOMEONE finally wrote here that NAFTA was originated by BILL CLINTON. Granted, Bush did not stem the tide but we owe the American jobs exodus to the Clintons. And you really think they won't do more of the same? They are for themselves and whoever will line their pockets.......... foreign money, special interests, they have no prejudices. Its not YOU they care about. Wake up, America.

February 9, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  6. Politically Tired

Frankly, I don't care what Hillary wears. I don't care what her clothes look like on her. I don't care if she gains weight. I don't care if she gets wrinkles. That is not important to me. I care about what she'll do with healthcare...Iracq, The economy, immigration, our reputation in the world, trade, and on and on.

The media, gets caught up on stupid stuff that doesn't matter when you're struggling to feed your family and pay your bills. They get stuck on stupid. I used to watch Fox and gave that up years ago. I watch CNN, Joe Scarborough's Morning Cup of Joe. I can't stand him and his crew either. I don't want to hear their unimportant opinions and Mika makes me want to turn off the TV, which I have done many times. She makes all these faces at Joe all the time.....and I don't care about what her father thinks either.

Please quit pushing your personal political agendas. These programs have gotten out of control. It's not the news anymore. Why don't you deliver the news stories that run on the ticker at the bottom of the TV. They would be a little more interesting. The media runs these campaigns and gives free promotional advertising to candidates. Like the morning there was a cardboard Obama in the background. Was there any other candidate in the background?. No! Hey guys I work in advertising. The more you advertise for certain candidates the more you put that candidate in front of the public. Therefore, you are promoting them.

I am glad Hillary's mad about David Shuster's remarks. Stop this bringing everybody down with personal attacks. Did you talk about anyone else's kids. No just the Clintons? You may not realize how severe the economy is in the midwest.

I have an idea for a reality show. Take a bunch of politicians and media people and bring them out to small town rural Kansas. Try to make a living and feed your family and drive to work everyday where there's no public transportation, with $3 gas and food prices and everything going up and up and your wages can't keep up. You all are so out of touch it's ridiculous.

Everything you do is for ratings. You sure can't trust anything you hear on FOX, CNN, or MSNBC.

February 9, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  7. Linda

This is an answer to Sam who asked why she never wears skirts. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HER LEGS? I have seen pictures of her in a skirt and her legs have no shape to them at all. Straight up and down. in fact, she said that is why she wears pants all the time because of the shape of her legs.

February 9, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. starleo14672

I really do not care what she wears and the news networks if they want to bring it up shouldn't either, unless we talk about The fashionable Mc Cain who wears the same thing over and over and Obama who wears the same black suit like he is going to a funeral . C'mon leave fashion out and leave issues in ,and while your at it leave your opinions out ,and just report the facts. I personally am sick of your predictions and you trying to control this election.

February 9, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Nando, Florida

This is why she can't be president, She would be lauged at by world leaders, Dressing Like BIG BIRD. they are just country BUNKINS that somehow got let into the WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  10. Kentucky

Whats wrong with her attire? All of us in the trailer park think she's a real fashion icon!

February 9, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  11. Ben

I agree with Anna Wintour, women should not have to be masculine in order to win races, but clearly with the attacks of the Obama camp, and the Republican machine she had no choice. Don't worry Anna, when Hillary is elected president you can do an even better shoot and sell more magazines. As for her bad outifits, I think that says a lot– clearly she has had enough experience working in the public domain to make bad fashion choices! Obama's last fashion faux pas was 5 years ago, when he was 3 (or is that just the age he is behaving!) Grow up Obama, and learn something from somebody who gets the job done–you are just not ready yet to be president!

February 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  12. Charlotte

The real issues from an Obama rally, get real!!!!!!!!! Yes we can, is not a discussion of issues.

February 9, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. Cathy C

I find it interesting that so many people find it a sport to insult Mrs. Clinton. I don't think most of you even think about what you are responding to. It seems that many of you don't even bother to read the articles before you try and see who can insult her the worse. You all should save your comments and direct them to the people who are actually the reason this country is in the shape it is in.

It's about the country not the person.

Go Mrs. Clinton!!!

February 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Personally, I think Senator Clinton is a beautiful, smart woman. It is insulting to the senator and women voters that individuals considering the position of leader of the free world are looking for Clinton to wear a dress and act more feminine.

As for me, I've read both her and Senator Obama's web sites, listened to their speeches, and based on what I read and heard, I am convinced that Barack Obama is our best hope.

These are very challenging times, and I would hope that Senator Obama claims the presidency, that he will reach out to Senator Clinton to help heal our nation.

Obama 08!!

February 9, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. alan, CA

Ok Im a huge Obama supporter but this is lame. Ya well guess what she has to present herself in a mannish manner due to our societies double standard for women. This story is lame. Im a 26 year old man and us dismissing women having double standards towards the notion of leadership is wrong.

Saying that, I still feel that Clinton isnt right for the country not cause of what she has to do to control her image, but cause she doesnt have the ability to bring the country together when we have all these problems. Sorry democrats but you cant do it alone.

February 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |