February 8th, 2008

Clinton pokes fun at her flawed fashion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In the latest edition of Us Weekly hitting newsstands Friday, Hillary Clinton accompanies the celebrity magazine on a “greatest hits” tour of her past fashion faux-pas.

In a playfully-mocking four-page spread titled “My Worst Outfit Ever,” Clinton addresses some of her more debatable wardrobe choices during her life.

Clinton dodged blame for the striped pants she wore in the 1960’s, claiming "It's not my fault… It was the '60s." She also promoted her environmental policy while considering the massive, brightly-colored overcoat she wore at a Feed the Children event in New York City in 2000. "I'm a big believer in recycling – even carpets!” she said.

The spread might irk Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who last month railed the New York senator for backing out of a fashion shoot at the last minute.

Wintour accused Clinton of ditching the shoot out of fear of public perception. "We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine,” Wintour is quoted as saying. She added that “the notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying… This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

– CNN's Joshua Lederman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Independent

This is Hillary sticking to the issues and not play the gender card.

February 8, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Carol

I saw these yesterday. They were funny. My favorite was the carpet picture.

February 8, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Roger

"This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

Too bad people in both places are scared to death of female leadership.
    Maybe we aren't all that different.

February 8, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. John from DC

Whats wrong with CNN???

Correct me – It just dounds like the Clinton news Network. 7/12 article are about the Clintons.

Ok ...for good or worse I am switching to FUAX, MSNBC

February 8, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Scott, Royal Oak

Honestly, why does everything Hillary says make me want to barf?

I guess it's that the more I see of her, the more I realize that not a single thing about this woman is genuine. I really hope that someday, soon, a woman is elected to lead this country. I just hope it's not Hillary Clinton.

February 8, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. suzy

HILLARY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    GREAT TO SEE HER HUMAN AND HUMOROUS SIDE!
    CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL THOSE FABULOUS OUTFITS!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. Mark S

Haha.. I think its funny that Obama went to New Orleans and said how hes gonna try and help. WHERE WAS HE A FEW YEARS AGO?? I know Bill helped a lot.. Also.. its funny how Obama said RIGHT FROM DAY ONE, then he said YOU CANT ALWAYS BE RIGHT... he only says what you WANT to hear.

Sen. Obama Blasts Cheney's Energy Policy, Doesn't Mention He Voted For It

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. Dani

What are the political news here???
    This is a useless article trying to bash Senator Clinton.

I am for Obama, but this article here is out of place!!
    Noone would ever talk about the wardrobe of a male candidate. So stop this!!

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  9. John Nc

Hillary needs to use Nancy Peliso as a role model. Hillary looks like a bus driver.

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  10. Sam

Hillary, is a female right? So why hasn't she ever worn a skirt?

February 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. wait a minute

Why can't Hillary just be herself?
    Does she believe in herself?

February 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. E, KY

Really spending her time talking about issues isn't she?

February 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. tgrier

can we get some real news please, I am tired of hearing about Bill, pant suits, or how many people are coming out...can you start to talk about real plans that these candidates have. I am tired of having to wade through junk news like its spam just to get a good article that tells me whats really going on.

February 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Amy

I take offense at that Saudia Arabia comment. Women from Saudia Arabia are way more feminine, and proud of it, than Hillary Clinton.

February 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Now if someone wrote an independent article about this they would be called sexist. Women in this country keep playing both sides of the fence.

February 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. LisaMpls

Hilarious! I actually lauged aloud at the "even carpets" part. I'm glad she agreed to do it. A little self-deprecation is always good for a laugh.

February 8, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Jane

Not afraid of female leadership ... just Hillary leadership!

February 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Marion

How presidential. We can all look forward to four years of fashion discussions?

How about a real four page article about her worst votes as senator? Or her worst political manipulations? Or her worst verbal digs at those who oppose her?

I am SO ready for a real change! A woman in the White House? Sure! Just not THIS woman.

February 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. LisaMpls

John, Hillary looks like a bus driver? That is one strange comment.

And Sam, who cares if Hillary never wears skirts.

February 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Okaaayyy

And this is news how? Come on, CNN...what in the world is relevant about this story? Especially, considering the fact that you have it posted under "Political Ticker"...shoot, if you just felt obligated to print this, you could at least have placed it under "Entertainment" or somewhere. Obama has been in GQ Magazine and that didn't make the "Political Ticker"...and rightly so might I add, b/c there was nothing "political" about it.

Honestly, if there is nothing to print about the candidates, just don't print anything. There's no law saying that Clinton or Obama's name has to be mentioned everyday just because it's election time.

February 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Luis

Great coverage from the Clinton News Network, LOL

Keep up the good work. Very significant..........NOT!

February 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. wale azeez

she's just at it again...I don't bloody get it...election eve and she starts getting nervous and emotional...she's using chelsea this time...poor chelsea...

February 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Sam

Wow, how much did Hillary pay for that campaign ad on the front of the CNN webpage? Did that also include writing all these Clinton articles as well?

February 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

The latest political news from CNN's Best Political Team.......NOT!!!

If you carry on like this, you will put the Enquirer out of business.

February 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Paul

It's amazing to see the hatred spewed out by Obama supporters toward Hillary. This is change Obama is talking about? Wow. His supporters appear more like agents of evil embracing the cult of idolitry. He is a false prophet. I'll vote for McCain before Obama, and spare the country a disaster.

February 8, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |