February 8th, 2008

Clinton pokes fun at her flawed fashion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In the latest edition of Us Weekly hitting newsstands Friday, Hillary Clinton accompanies the celebrity magazine on a “greatest hits” tour of her past fashion faux-pas.

In a playfully-mocking four-page spread titled “My Worst Outfit Ever,” Clinton addresses some of her more debatable wardrobe choices during her life.

Clinton dodged blame for the striped pants she wore in the 1960’s, claiming "It's not my fault… It was the '60s." She also promoted her environmental policy while considering the massive, brightly-colored overcoat she wore at a Feed the Children event in New York City in 2000. "I'm a big believer in recycling – even carpets!” she said.

The spread might irk Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who last month railed the New York senator for backing out of a fashion shoot at the last minute.

Wintour accused Clinton of ditching the shoot out of fear of public perception. "We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine,” Wintour is quoted as saying. She added that “the notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying… This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

– CNN's Joshua Lederman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Janet

It's maybe like her POKE-POKE-CLAP-CLAP dance that she does on stage ...

The first time I saw that I thought I must have switched to the comedy channel or SNL ... nope! I can alreay see her meeting foreign leaders :

POKE-POKE-CLAP-CLAP

February 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Damian

I think it was Georg Christoph Lichtenberg that said, "A person reveals his character by nothing so clearly as the joke he resents."

Hillary has been bashed by some over the last year for her appearance and dress sense. A standard that has NOT been applied to any of the other candidates.

That she herself, is able to poke fun at it, is a true testament to her amazing character!

Hillary 08!

February 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Andrew K.

Anna Wintour's comments are very revealing - spoken like a true feminist. A real woman isn't afraid to be who she is, even if that means being sexy or pretty or feminine... whatever have you.

The point is you shouldn't try to be someone you're not - a point completely lost on Hillary and her so called "feminist" supporters.

February 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  4. Obama 08

Hillary and the Clintons, who cares? In general, I believe that she will not win the nomination anyway. She is short on money and on issues. Obama has won more states then has she and Obama will have more delegates by the end of March. Checkmate!

February 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. anne

What up with all the Clinton coverage today, is anyone else in the democratic race? I see your live coverage of Hillary, where is Obama's live coverage. Nice job CNN. I guess she needs your free coverage to keep up, glad to see you are williing to lend a hand. It is very unequal coverage, but hey, you might get the next debate if you do what the Clintons want, right?

February 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. Susan, MI

February 8, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. BETH

If Hillary loses it will be to your stupid and gender based hate for Hillary. Her pant suits look better on her than your's do on you.

February 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Ilikeskirts

Hillary I'd like to see you in a dress once in a while, it will show that you are a real woman and mother, cause you sure do not act lile the first "woman" president.

February 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Obama 08

To Mark S:

Hillary voted for the No Child Left Behind Act of Bush and the Republicans. Bill did not mention that when he critized the Act.

February 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Amy, Kazoo

Isn't it funny that it's ok to talk about Michelle Obama trying to embody Jackie O, but to consider a more light hearted look at Clinton and you all cry foul. Do you all even believe your own rhetoric anymore??

February 8, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Sandra

Haven't you guys learned anything yet? A day before any election, Hillary goes into damsel in distress mode. Now she doesn't have enough money for her campaign and her wardrobe isn't great. So help poor Hillary, right? Help America and vote for change we can BELIEVE in. Not last minute Clinton manipulations.

February 8, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. John ATLANTA, GEORGIA

So proud of Hillary.
    She is superbly different and above all petty attackers of no deep thoughts.

February 8, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. sambudhollybear

here we go again CNN you got to put Hillary down only thing that CNN got in commons with Obama is nothing.

February 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. anonymous

I cannot believe that some commentors see this article as bashing Hillary. Holy ___ you guys are so in Hillary's camp that no one can say anything without it being anti-Hillary This article seems to be supported by Hillary and is an obvious attempt to make her look self-depricating and humorous -i.e. just like us common folk. I don't fault HIllary, thats her job to get our votes at election time. It's the same reason candidates go on SNL. If I didn't think that CNN is already so liberal that there are in Hillary's camp already, I would think that Hillary had to pay CNN to get an article like this written about her.

February 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. boynla, LA, CA

go hillary! you're always gorgeous to me, Madame President!

February 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. Texas

What is wrong with her showing her personal side.

All you people ned to grow up!

Go Hillary Texas is supporting you!!

February 8, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Po Folk

I've owned one pair of jeans for 2 years because my children come first and I can't afford even one new pair. I also own one pair of footwear that I've worn for almost five years. I'll take her worst outfit over one pair of jeans or shoes every day, any day. Poor thing, Hillary is. Perhaps she should have taken some of her campaign money and bought herself a new outfit.

February 8, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. pmet

I notice that, perhaps due to the Hillary supporters complaining on the blogs, CNN has pushed Obama into the background to cover the Clintons (both of them). Wow, Hillary's worst outfits - now there's news. How about covering Obama asking Clinton to show us her tax returns? It is customary for elected officials and those running for president to show returns - only she refused and said she would only do so after receiving the nomination. Hmmmm. Kind of makes you wonder. That must be her "transparency in government." How about her and Bill not allowing Whitewater and other documents from their time in the white house to be unsealed until 2012 - long after she would hold office. Seems fishy to me, but as always I am sure my message will stay awaiting moderation.
    Obama '08

February 8, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Why is this news?

CNN, you lost most of your credibility after the Michael Moore piece. Keep it up.

February 8, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. CTYANKEE

"Hillary I'd like to see you in a dress once in a while, it will show that you are a real woman and mother."

Are you serious???

I saw Chelsea in Connecticut and it was nice to hear her talk about "her mom" She even mentioned that she didn't have kids when an education question came up "despite my mom's wishes!" I thought it was intriguing to see them in that light.

February 8, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  21. Rosemary

I would never vote for Obama!!!!! He doesn't have a clue just a bunch of pretty speeches. Lets elected him as a speech writer. I'll vote for that!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes She Can!!! Hillary for President 2008!!!

February 8, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  22. Kris in PA

Susan wrote: "Please tell me that it will get better for ambitious, successful women in the future. You're screwed if you're female and you want to be both attractive and taken seriously."

It is seriously depressing and all the more reason why Senator Clinton's base supporters should be energized to vote her into the White House. Perhaps if once she gets there and actually does a good job, people will realize that a woman, regardless of her looks, age, or what she chooses to wear CAN be a great executive in the Oval Office in the greatest nation in the world.

February 8, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. sharon R

I think we also need to replace all male media with females will we ever be equal I think not no one voting for Obama remembers when women were only suppose to have children and keep house we come along way but not far enough I am for both Hillary and Obama but ladies before gentelmen.

February 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. Conan

Hillary is a woman?

February 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  25. Roger

"Roger's comment above apparently is an attempt to shame people into voting for Clinton, because otherwise, we are afraid of female leadership and no different than Saudi Arabia. Yeah, thats it. I see, we just should have elected any woman that campaigned for the White House this year"

Don't think so Dennis. I work for a female owned company and don't fear a woman in charge. But you think what you like. Have a good day.

February 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |