February 8th, 2008

Clinton pokes fun at her flawed fashion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In the latest edition of Us Weekly hitting newsstands Friday, Hillary Clinton accompanies the celebrity magazine on a “greatest hits” tour of her past fashion faux-pas.

In a playfully-mocking four-page spread titled “My Worst Outfit Ever,” Clinton addresses some of her more debatable wardrobe choices during her life.

Clinton dodged blame for the striped pants she wore in the 1960’s, claiming "It's not my fault… It was the '60s." She also promoted her environmental policy while considering the massive, brightly-colored overcoat she wore at a Feed the Children event in New York City in 2000. "I'm a big believer in recycling – even carpets!” she said.

The spread might irk Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who last month railed the New York senator for backing out of a fashion shoot at the last minute.

Wintour accused Clinton of ditching the shoot out of fear of public perception. "We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine,” Wintour is quoted as saying. She added that “the notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying… This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

– CNN's Joshua Lederman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. vl

What difference does it matter what Hillary wears or has worn? If you'd look in your own photo albums, I'm sure you'll seen some real winners! Oh, and to answer one comment made about wearing skirts..... have YOU every been outside in the winter in a dress? Here in MI you'd freeze your legs off!

February 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. concerned citizen

"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows John McCain (R) leading Hillary Clinton (D) 46% to 43%. Barack Obama (D) leads McCain 47% to 42%.
    Despite much commentary about McCain’s challenge in uniting the Republican Party, the Arizona Senator’s support from Republicans is just as solid as Obama and Clinton’s support from Democrats. Obama leads McCain among voters not affiliated with either major political party. McCain leads Clinton among the unaffiliateds"

If you are a democrat and want to beat John McCain, rally around Obama. He's the one with the best shot (and possibly, as more and more head-to-head polls are conducted, the ONLY shot) of democrats retaking the whitehouse. We cannot risk running Hillary.

February 8, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. Scott, Royal Oak

Dear Carl,

I don't think I should have to change my name to post on here. Why would I do that? To try and trick people into believing that a greater # share my views? Is that what you do? What's your real name, "Carl"?

I'm just gonna go right on ahead and continue giving my two cents, buddy, no matter how much it "bores" you. "Get over it".

February 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. Andrew Goff

If Hillary gets the nomination over Obama, I will be just disillusioned enough to never vote again.

That goes for me and 10,000,000 other 18-30 year olds. This is likely your last chance to be relevant Democrats.

February 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Whootie Who

Sam wrote, "Hillary, is a female right? So why hasn't she ever worn a skirt?"

Hey idiot, Why is that a factor?? Please explain? I can't wait to hear your sexist answer.

February 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Casey, Minneapolis, MN

Obama supporters didn't seem to mind a few months ago when GQ Mag did a spread on Obama. What's the difference? It's too it has to be so negative between the supporters. If we keep this up – we lose in November people.

February 8, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Obama 08

The U.S. Constitution says one has to be 35 years old and born citizen of the U.S.A. to become president. According to Hillary, no one is qualified to become president, unless you come from privilege and power. Hillary's logic diminishes everyone but herself. I disagree with her.

I refuse to vote for anyone who seeks to attain power by dividing We, the people, I refuse to vote for anyone who seeks to attain position by diminishing We, the people, and I refuse to vote for anyone who seeks to attain the title of USA President by tricking We, the people.

Anyone can become president because it is your U.S.A. Constitutional right to do so. I support Senator Obama. He is a unifier, not a divider, he is honest, not dishonest, and he is inspiring, not a debasing. Go Obama!

February 8, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. zzoooeeG

People on CNN have no right to use their power to vote for Obama and make everyone with no mind think "oh, they're famous I should copy them." Oprah, Chris Mathews and Wolf and much more are doing this. What does Obama have that Clinton doesn't. He has no experience, he's too young, and most of his campaign is voting for him becuase they are copying famous people and all he can do is speak well.
    GO HILLARY!
    U ROCK!

February 8, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. Rosa in NH

After reading all these comments, I don't care what people gossip Hillary, I will go for her presidential race anyway; for she is such an intelligent and capable woman. That's what we need for a leader!

February 8, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Dem08

Everyone does stories like this, CNN just decides to focus on this story for Clinton, while focusing on Obama can beat McCain for Obama. Is this fair? No. Plus the Obama story is based on a poll( we know those are always right) where there are several polls that show Clinton beatings McCain.

I am tired of the networks misleading. They are tired of me I guess since they keep deleting my comments. Clinton leads in the pledged delgate count, but a couple stations still report otherwise. Even one where you can go to their web-site and see the actual results.

Hillary supporters know better.

Hillary 08

February 8, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. Sunny, Southampton, NY

Has anyone noticed Mrs. McCain's fashion choices? And hair styles? Poor thing, she may be very nice, but she truly needs some guidance. Anna Wintour are you reading this?

February 8, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. pam Eugene OR

That is pretty insulting to the women in Saudi Arabia Hillary. I am willing to bet there are a lot of them that do have their traditions and feel they are well dressed!

February 8, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. Karen

Wow.

If she answers questions she gets slammed. If she doesn't she gets slammed. If she "acts human" she gets slammed. If she doesn't she gets slammed.

What is up with you people????

And so all of the sudden we are back in the 50s and she isn't a "Woman" because she isn't wearing a dress? Are you kidding me? Romney was wearing $4K suits and I didn't want HIM representing me (although him in a dress would be worth a laugh or two...)

I'm a lot more interested in what she can do for the country than if she is wearing pant suits but since you all want to jump down her throat when she doesn't respond to questions, I guess she has to respond to all of them and just keep wearing the target you idiots have placed on her back. (Idiot comment directed at some of the comments, not CNN).

February 8, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. Eva

Funny, folks are complaining that the media is giving Hillary too much coverage, but I didn't hear you complain when the coverage was all spin and negative. McCain and the other republicans are covered quite well by the media, and Obama has been the media hog with his false promises of hope – like he corners the market on change and hope. Hillary is NEWS. Obama is hot air. And, they've just realized it – a day late and a dollar short. Talk about egg in their faces.

February 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Lola

Distraction, distraction, distraction – she thinks this kind of discussion will help her in this race, hummmm. Maybe just negative attention. Any attention is what she is looking for now obviously. I'm disappointed in her and I am a 50 yr. old woman.

February 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  16. Eva

Sharon R – very well stated. I am most distressed and disheartened by women who join men in mysogynistic rhetoric – young women – who have no idea how far we have come since the 60's. Who do not know, or do not care, that if not for women like HIllary, we'd all still be baby-making machines whose biggest challenges during the day would be how to get our whites clean, what do cook for dinner, and how do we persuade our husbands to give us money to buy that blouse we covet. Its an insult to generations of women who risked so much so that they would have the rights they have today. Its recent history, and its ignored.

February 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. ps

Here we go again. CNN and it's best political team has nothing to do.

Don't you think CNN needs change very badly. It's disgusting to see some poor taste, lack of ethics, weiered thoughtfulness. Just get lossed

February 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. jackie IN MISSOURI

Paul, I'm right there with you......
    If Obama gets the nomination, I could not in good conscience vote for him or McCain, so I would have to stay home.

I am mortified with the biased approach of the media. Anything negative they can find about Hillary Clinton, they keep on the news for days. Even the spin on her $5 million dollar loan. Had it been BO they would have touted it as his confidence in his campaign. Barack is give front and center whenever.

Remember the Reszko scandal....that disappeared in a day. Hmmm...did Reszko really introduce Barack and Michelle? Oh, I forgot ..Barack isn't really suppose to know him that well.

And forget the press about Barack beating McCain...it won't happen....

God Bless America....

February 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Jhonmar, IL

Seriously talking guys this subject is so lame, come on CNN don't become the mirror image of FOX and their stupidity, their closed mind and their ignorance when it come to what really matter to the American people, I was expecting an intelligent conversation among the media (CNN) and the viewers

February 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Observer, Jacksonville, FL

You know, Barack Obama just wrapped up a rally in Washington, where there were over 25,000 people in attendance and cannot waiting to vote for him tomorrow – and CNN are not even reporting on that event. Has CNN joined the Clinton campaign team?

February 8, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. Hillary

I wish she would've done Vogue again. It would've been great exposure. I still have the issue when she was on the cover in the '90s. Everybody knows Vogue women are tough a la Anna Wintour.

February 8, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. KBJin CHI

If you think CNN is ClintonNewsNetwork, when you switch to MSNBC you'll be enundated with MoreSurrogatesNewsfromBaracksCamp!!!!! MSNBC loves Him! Its kind of sad and I never expected that type of Bias from Chris Matthews!

February 8, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  23. Trieu Le

Hillary:

Your beauty is from within, that's why most people don't see it. Perhaps if you are a surface person like Barack, you can get more emotional voters on your side.

February 8, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. Patti

I read some of the comments on this blog, and the things that are said against Hillary by men are an indication that they themselves have difficulty with their own masculinity so they "condem" her erroneously because she is a strong woman. I know for being another strong professional women making more than my male counterparts (because I WORK!!), men can't handle it.

Men, face it, you are in the brink (finally) as more strong women come out of the woodwork in droves.

Many men who are threatened by women and their strength of character and courage, support Hillary – they look beyond what they "want to believe to protect their masculinity" and KNOW that she is the BEST candidate we have in the next election – like it or not! On both sides of the aisle!!

For those of you you continue to baste Hillary (women too) for not appearing feminine (too masculine) – you do you think you are???? I have not heard ONE comment about the men candidates being too "feminine." In fact, no one ever thinks to mention what they are wearing. STOP THE NONSENSE! THIS IS 2008!!! NOT1908!!! You all need to catch up to the real world.

February 8, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. Trieu

Hi Rosemary:

My exact thoughts. He is a great speaker. Check out this site with the list of "Misinformation" he's throwing out there. By the way, he just started working on healthcare 2 years ago. He worked on the Lobbyist Reform bill last year. But this man and his supporters are misleading people into believing that he's so inspirational. It's sad that people in America don't do more research on their candidates. I did. That's why I'm supporting Hillary.

February 8, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |