February 8th, 2008

Clinton pokes fun at her flawed fashion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In the latest edition of Us Weekly hitting newsstands Friday, Hillary Clinton accompanies the celebrity magazine on a “greatest hits” tour of her past fashion faux-pas.

In a playfully-mocking four-page spread titled “My Worst Outfit Ever,” Clinton addresses some of her more debatable wardrobe choices during her life.

Clinton dodged blame for the striped pants she wore in the 1960’s, claiming "It's not my fault… It was the '60s." She also promoted her environmental policy while considering the massive, brightly-colored overcoat she wore at a Feed the Children event in New York City in 2000. "I'm a big believer in recycling – even carpets!” she said.

The spread might irk Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who last month railed the New York senator for backing out of a fashion shoot at the last minute.

Wintour accused Clinton of ditching the shoot out of fear of public perception. "We were told by Ms. Clinton's camp that they were concerned if Clinton appeared in Vogue that she would appear too feminine,” Wintour is quoted as saying. She added that “the notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying… This is America, not Saudi Arabia.”

– CNN's Joshua Lederman

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jeremy

I continue to hear people of America shouting for change. Just one question…Which candidate is offering change? Hillary promises socialism, Obama promises…well whatever he thinks will make him look more presidential than Hillary, McCain carries the stick of war and the promise of amnesty for illegals, Huckabee keeps hoping to follow in the foot steps of W by carrying the evangelical vote……The answer is simply RON PAUL. He offers the greatest change of all…actually following the U.S. Constitution! You want to return America to its former greatness? Save the constitution! Vote RON PAUL!!!! Wake Up my fellow Americans! The United States belongs to us all, not just those on the Hill and in the Oval Office!

February 8, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. lobbyist

If Hillary has been a servant of the people for thirty five years, the job must pay very well if you can loan yourself 5 million dollars for your campaign. Could this be one of those service jobs that Billy boy was talking about when he signed NAFTA?

February 8, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  3. veronica lynne

Had ENOUGH of Obama!! What a lightweight candidate with some truly vicious supporters on the blogs.
    HILLARY '08.

February 8, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. Hilary

I'm not sure why all of the Clinton supporters are so upset about ANYONE reporting on this. I (admittedly) receive a subscription to US Weekly (yes, I use it to occasionally numb my mind during my train commute) and Hillary OPENED HERSELF UP TO THIS!! I mean its not like US Weekly didn't have her cooperation in this "story."

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't give my vote (not that I intended to anyway) to ANY candidate that would contribute to a celebrity tabloid! Man or woman. COME ON PEOPLE! This is ridiculous! I mean its one thing to go on Letterman, Leno, the Daily Show, etc. to show your humorous side – but to put yourself into these magazines willingly – come on how can you respect that?! The page right before hers? Eva Mendes and how she ended up in rehab – the pages after? "7 Nights in Hollywood" an article about who goes out in Hollywood and where. At least Vogue is a respected fashion magazine – that, fine. But a tabloid...

February 8, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. Joss

Instead of focusing on Hillary being a woman or showing her human side, maybe focus on how she's doing uniting her supporters, her party, her country.

Oh wait, Obama's already doing that.

Yes, We Can

February 8, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  6. Hillary Supporter

Really....I am SICK and TIRED of hearing all these stupid comments about ANY of the presidential hopefuls. It is truly sickening to me to hear regular citizens slinging mud about politicians, especially when they later complain about the politicians doing it.

The facts are that there aren't any PERFECT men or women out there that will EVER run for president. Think about it we are ALL human, and NONE of us can ever say that we won't, haven't, or will never make a mistake, especially in our jobs. I've done it, all of you have done it and we will all continue doing it.

Our country is truly going downhill if all we care about is ourselves and what someone will do for US. I worry more for what someone can do for my children.....and quite honestly, not ONE of these people I would trust my children's lives with. I am terribly afraid for this country's future....

February 9, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  7. Casey

This article reminds me of what the rich and famous actors do right before a movie of theirs is going to premier, they start a media blitz about "who they are dating, or not dating" or "something sexual about their current relationship" or "something personal about their life that they believe no one knows" just to get their name out and about. Angelina Joie does this in the most blatant way for every film cycle or event she is apart of. Tom Cruise as well. Now Hillary is using this same negative approach/technique that I believe Americans are tired of. She wants PR, free PR now that she is down by 2 and no debates on the horizon. Here we go, the clinton machine in full-on game mode. The "games" of media and PR are so unbecoming these days.

Time to turn the page, begin anew, time for each of us to apply ourselves for the common good.

February 9, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  8. Joe

It is amazing how people who have never seen or met Hillary show such profound hatred.It has become a disease. when they search their souls ,I bet you , they don't even know why they hate her.Its about you the haters .Its not her.She keeps going happily.

February 9, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  9. Macunaima

It is amazing how CNN and MSNBC go out of heir way to attack Hillary. Who is behind all this. Tonight , in the Bill Mahr show, the guests (all men) took turns in praising OBAMA and again going out of their way criticizing her. It must have a reason.

They finally said that the country was not ready to vote for a woman and that sexism is greater than racism. They finally admitted. Many people are voting for Obama because is the politically correct thing to do. They say he is charismatic, so people are not looking at the issues but because they feel good voting for an african-american. That is not a good reason.

At the HBO program with Bill Mahr they also said that business people prefer to have Obama as president. I wonder why. What is behind this media support for OBama?

CNN started this campaign that Obama can beat McCain. People will end up believing it without any evidence. Don't believe in what they say.

February 9, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  10. Vikki, Tennessee

Come on people- READ THE ARTICLE before you comment:

The Vogue editor made the Saudi Arabia comment- Not Hillary. Wintour is quoted, then "she added" refers to Ms. Wintour.

HILLARY '08

February 9, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  11. the one

I think I just understood the aggressive tone and stance of most of Hillary's female supporters…

Since 2005, she was heralded by the mainstream media as the next president of United States, as the first female US president. It was presented for years as the surest of things, as certain as death and taxes… Year after year, months after months, it was always the same story Hillary this, Hillary that. Slowly but surely, everyone started believing in it as a fatality and for many women as an accomplishment long time coming. 2008 was for most women the year where a woman, a very smart woman was going to finally be crowned president. I do insist on the word crowned, not elected… Crowned. This is how certain it would be.

But suddenly, for some obscure reason (no pun intended), a contender that most women had never heard off blasted on to the forefront of the scene, magnetizing millions. Worst of all, he had, the only thing she was lacking charisma. He, like her a few months prior, became the media's sweetheart and god know how America loves underdog.

Most women, now, just hate Barack OBAMA. It's not a question of experience and even less so a policy issue (which are only spin). It's rather that he might be stealing from them, what has been promised to them (and probably at the time rightfully so) for several years. It becomes irrational. Any reason for attacking him is used. It becomes a vicious circle, the more he wins, the more they hate him.

It is quite obvious that if Hillary was not this year running for President, most women would be 100% behind Obama, a charismatic leader reminiscent of a JFK, Tony Blair… and dare I say, Bill Clinton.

Please CNN, no more moderation, please!

February 9, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  12. lula jetmir

Hillary will say and do whatever she and Bill think will get them elected again.They will tel the truth the same way they did when last in the white house.

February 9, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  13. Holly B

I am not afraid of female leadership....I'm just afraid of Hillary Clinton in the White House!!!

February 9, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  14. CTYANKEE

Hey, don't get worked up about this, remember WE ARE THE ONES THAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.

February 9, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  15. CTYANKEE

AND WE ARE THE CHANGE THAT WE SEEK.

Oh brother, are people really being this???

I'd run for the hills if this guy gets elected.

February 9, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  16. Unknown

Paul, from way above,
    ...I'm with you buddy....I'm for Hillary 2, but I'll vote for McCain before the "P" charmer. (( The "P" is for people)) Besides, the fact, McCain has more EXPERIENCE!!
    -–Here's to REAL change, Hillary 08!-–

February 9, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  17. Unknown

So what if she voted for the use of force in Iraq.....I probably would have done the same thing if I was given the information that she had in front of her face. Why are you people putting all the blame on Hillary when we should be pointing our fingers at the current President, Duh-w BUSH!! "P" charmer wasn't even in the senate, then, so he couldn't vote one way or the other...who cares if he was opposed NOW days. If it's not a race card, it's an Iraq card!...just 1 thing after another! Bzzzz, Bzzzz.

February 9, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  18. Definitely Hillary

I love Hillary's sense of humor which shows her intelligence. Only people with strong personalities can throw self-depreciating lines like that.

I want a humble human being as my president, not Snobbish Snobbama!!!

February 9, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  19. harriet feigen

if it ain't Barack, don't fix it! .

(Quick! call the medics!!!!)

February 9, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  20. crazy_dems

What a joke. And this is how far women have come? Now I'm going to think twice about voting for Hillary Stewart, I mean clinton.

February 9, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  21. michael

i know cnn won't publish this because it is 'pro-hillary' (whatever that means)

READ THE ARTICLE. ANNA WINTOUR MADE THE SAUDI ARABIA COMMENT, NOT HILLARY....

geez

February 9, 2008 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  22. CHERYL

HILLARY IS MATURE ENOUGH TO HANDLE ANYTHING! THAT IS WHY I AM VOTING FOR HER! GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  23. Democrat Forever

hey nccole treadway:

Get a grip. First of all, you are a woman, and you are fulfilling a galloping generality by critizing her crying. Its ok that Bush tears up, and Hillary can't. Whats up with that. BTW, I am a white woman and I think this piece shows a human side and what is wrong with this. Of course, this is serious stuff, however, let's have a little humor. This is going to be a long hard road and all of us have had a lot of campaigning already.

February 9, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  24. Joe-Wilmington, DE

My problem is with her flawed politics, not her attire.

February 9, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. Danielle

So Hillary has a humorous side – more power to her.

February 9, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |