February 8th, 2008

Huckabee vows to continue campaign

Huckabee said Thursday he's staying in the race.
Huckabee said Thursday he's staying in the race.

(CNN) - Mike Huckabee said Thursday he will continue his quest for the Republican nomination, and directly appealed for support from backers of Mitt Romney’s now suspended presidential bid.

"As a true authentic, consistent, conservative, I have a vision to bring hope, opportunity and prosperity to all Americans, and I'd like to ask for and welcome the support of those who had previously been committed to Mitt," Huckabee said in a statement.

"This is a two-man race for the nomination, and I am committed to marching on. I believe in the importance of a strong national defense - which includes winning the war against Islamic extremists and the protection of American sovereignty," he continued.

Romney announced earlier Thursday he was suspending his presidential campaign. He did not endorse another candidate, but suggested he was clearing the way for John McCain's nomination.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win," he said during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

Huckabee currently has 181 delegates compared to John McCain's 714.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Related: Huckabee says he can still win the Republican nomination

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Sue, Michigan

Romney just sealed the deal for the Democrats. That appeal to terror worked four years ago, but not now.And I'm sure we'll hear more of it-Vote Democratic and Die. Give me a break. Vote Republican and there won't be a democracy left in 4 more years.

February 8, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  2. MJ - San Antonio, TX

Maybe now Romney's supporters will support Huckabee. I do not see any good in John McCain. But I also do not see any good leaders in Hillary Clinton or Obama. Our country is in such a mess and is continuing to get worse. What happened to our great leaders? We have a Congress that has been worthless since Democrats took over last year. Yet even our President has betrayed us with his lies. We need to really look at what choices we have left to choose a leader that can get this country going again.

February 8, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  3. Wilberto Jimenez, Monmot, MD

One would think Huckabee's motives are called into question.

He would have to win 83% of the remaining delegates to win the GOP nomination. That's an uphill task for even the strongest of contenders, of which Huckabee is not.

So is he vying for the VP, or trying to hurt his own party, or what ?

February 8, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  4. Angela

Huckabee always thought it was a two man race. Between him and Romney.

He'll be hard pressed to win over people who supported the man he constantly ridiculed during his campaign.

February 8, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  5. John from CT

Glad to see Huck stay on – - at least for now. Although he won't get the nomination it will be interesting to see the upcoming state's results. And with all the Democrats drama and the McCain bashing we still need (and appreciate) a candidate with a great sense of humor.

February 8, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. April

Huckabee has done very well if take into consederation how much money and resources he has had to run his campaign. And if you look at his issues, he is completly different than McCain (way better if you ask me). If the states that voted for Romney decide to go to Huckabee and not McCain, then Huckabee will be the frontrunner, and not McCain. We will see over the next week whether he will do well or not. If he doesn't win a good majority of the last states, I bet you could (sadly for me) expect to see him bow out. But I bet he gets asked to be VP if that happens. McCain needs a conservative that has strong followers, and that can make people who have never voted get out and vote. I am a strong republican, but if McCain wins the nom, and doesn't ask Huck to be VP, I will vote for Hill. I will not vote for McCain without Huck. McCain is a Dem in Rep clothing.

February 8, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  7. Ann

"hope, opportunity and prosperity to all Americans"? Sounds great. But ask youself if that's how Americans see Arkansas...as the land of hope, opportunity and prosperity. If he had the ability and vision to bring that about, why didn't he do it in his own state during his reign there?

February 8, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. MSM

Huckebee is biting the hand (McCain) that feeds him by staying in the race.

February 8, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. Mike in Austin

Get out now Huck. Your entire campaign has been hopeless from the beginning. Only your plea to evangelicals, bashing Mormons along the way, made your campaign only slightly relevant.

I dislike McCain, but he's our best hope now...

February 8, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. The Man

Mike Huckabee reminds me of a Rocky Balboa like character.

February 8, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Brian in Arkansas

What audacity for the Huckster. Angela is right on ... he certainly focused on destroying only one candidate; and now he's asking for Romney supporters to jump to his sinking ship? He was offended by the earlier 'two-man race', and he's now turned to do the same to both McCain and Ron Paul (who has as much of a chance as he does). Bashing someone's religion does not make a campaign relevant in any way – and now he's calling for support while he runs down the aisles of a train headed in the wrong direction. Amazing.

February 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Dana, No.Calif

Its time to Chuck Huck!! Or is that Up Chuck!!

February 8, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. eric in florida

One of the reasons the Pilgrims came here was to escape religious persecution. Our founding fathers specifically created a separation of church and state for a reason. Religious leaders who endorse candidates (regardless of the fact that he says he does it as a private citizen, who does he think he is fooling) should have their tax exempt status removed from their respective organizations.

February 9, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  14. Danny

Mike has been the only conservative in this race from the beginning. It amazes me that people do not understand why Mike continues.

February 9, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |