February 8th, 2008

Obama, Clinton trade ad buys in critical states

Obama is hoping for a big win in Louisiana.
Obama is hoping for a big win in Louisiana.

(CNN) - Barack Obama launched a new ad in Louisiana on Friday, just one day before the state’s Democratic primary.

The Obama campaign’s ad, titled ‘Future,’ pairs images of the Illinois senator and a devastated, post-Katrina New Orleans – gutted homes, an affected man with his child, a shirt that reads ‘Rebuild New Orleans’ – with audio of his inspirational ‘Yes, We Can’ speech.

Earlier this week, the Illinois senator's campaign included a spreadsheet in an e-mail to supporters in which they projected a double-digit win in Louisiana.

“This election is about the past versus the future,” Obama says . “Hard as it may seem, we cannot lose hope.

“There are people all across this great nation who are counting on us. Who cannot afford another four years without health care. They can’t afford another four years without good schools. They can’t afford another four years without decent wages.”

His campaign has also begun airing its Super Bowl spot, ‘Join’ in Wisconsin in advance of the state’s February 19 primary.

On Friday, on a conference call reporting a massive new fundraising haul, Hillary Clinton’s campaign announced that they were airing ads targeting voters in the Potomac primaries, which head to the polls next Tuesday, February 12.

Obama has been running spots in those states since the days before the February 5 Super Tuesday contests.

Clinton also has begun airing a long-running healthcare spot in Washington State, with the addition of endorsements from the state’s two Democratic senators.

Clinton and Obama will go head-to-head in eight Democratic contests in the next four days.

–CNN's Jeff Simon

1. NOLA

Thank God we live in a country where we can vote for who we want.

Go Barack!

February 8, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. cheryl Arizona

For the Obama supporters were you not taught that you should not have any other God before me. The last time I looked he was a mortal man not someone that walks on water. You need to read article written on ABC site about the Obama cult. It really is starting to freak people out. He is a candidate for the presidence he is not up for sainthood the last time I liiked. This talk of him being the chosen one will turn voters away.

February 8, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. Joann

When are you people going to wake up and NOT trust the polls. How many times have they been wrong in the past few months?? Hillary can and WILL beat McCain. This country is ready for a President who will do the right thing for the citizens of THIS country. Now, if all of you Obama supporters get your feelings hurt if Obama does not win the nomination, then not vote for Hillary because of that, don't scream when you have a Pesident who wants to keep troops in Iraq indefintely. I have never seen such a group of mean spirited people who say the most horrible things about Hillary. You all need to grow up, read the FACTS and then make an educated decision on who who be the best nominee. And not just becasue he can give a good speech written by someone other then himself.

February 8, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  4. Clinton a proven winner!

I will not vote for anyone who promotes a 'have' and 'have not' society. Senator Obama is excluding 15 million people from his healthcare proposed program. Are you one of them?

Senator Clinton has won in the states and 8 of them on Super Tuesday against the Republicans. She won in states that are needed to take the White House. Senator Obama did not win in states that are on the road to the White House for the Democratic Party. He won in states that are and will remain 'red'.

Senator Obama is devisive in his healthcare proposal. With what he has proposed so far, what else will he split the country on???

February 8, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  5. Brian

Yes, he cares so much that his supporters posted a womans name, address and telephone number on his blog. Hello...that's breaking the law.

I wouldn't want my private info on a blog where hundreds, if not thousand of people are free to call or knock on my door.

February 8, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. Jeremy

I continue to hear people of America shouting for change. Just one question…Which candidate is offering change? Hillary promises socialism, Obama promises…well whatever he thinks will make him look more presidential than Hillary, McCain carries the stick of war and the promise of amnesty for illegals, Huckabee keeps hoping to follow in the foot steps of W by carrying the evangelical vote……The answer is simply RON PAUL. He offers the greatest change of all…actually following the U.S. Constitution! You want to return America to its former greatness? Save the constitution! Vote RON PAUL!!!! Wake Up my fellow Americans! The United States belongs to us all, not just those on the Hill and in the Oval Office!

February 8, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  7. mark

European love Hillary!!! and so does Japan, prefer Hillary and also most of asian countries. I dunno what you said about all the world. LOOK AT THE CNN SURVEY

February 8, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  8. Geaux Hillary!

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA! I will vote republican if he wins the democratic nomination.

February 8, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  9. W. A.

Alaska, North Dakota, Idaho. . . Not many Blacks, but Obama won. How?

February 8, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  10. Joss

You want to see the difference between the two log on to each of their websites. First read Hillary's blog, maybe the 3 newest posts.. or choose 3 at random. They are all the same, putting down Obama, why she is better than him, etc. Then look at Obama's blog and read 3 posts.. they are about him.. articles, notices about rallies, about his supporters and contributers, they call to action and get people involved.

Sorry but if that is all Hillary has to write about that is sad.. and a cheap way to have a dirty election.

Obama is really what this country needs. By the way, I am a woman and the prospect of a woman president is really exciting. But not this woman.. She's just the wrong one for the job.

Obama. Yes, We Can

February 8, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  11. Manuel, Pearland, TX

Come on Obama it's time to engage in a series of debates with Hillary, no prepared speeches written by committee, no teleprompters. Let's see what you really know about the issues.

What are you afraid of?

February 8, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  12. Marie H.

Give me a break!!!! Obama talks of "change". Just what is he going to "change" and how is he going to do it ??? This "change" could be devastating with his lack of expertise and experience. Hillary Clinton is geing accused by the Obama supporters of everything Obama really is--namely a phoney. I hope the people of Louisiana and the other states where primaries have yet to be held, see him for what he has proven himself to be. He is not presidential material!!!!!

Vote Hillary !!! Get our troops home and the economy back on track!!!!

February 9, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  13. AJ, IL

All you die-hard Hillary supporters need to fess up. You are mostly supporting Hillary because she is married to Bill Clinton and you think Bill will be back running things if Hillary is elected. Plain and simple. Hillary is the one not ready for "prime time" as President of the US. She has been whining, crying and begging over the past 6 weeks. Obama is ready to be "right" on day one!

Obama in '08!

February 9, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  14. Concerned Voter

50% of the voters in Louisiana will be African Amercian so let's not pretend that there can be any other outcome than Obama winning. Start gloating if you want to but it means absolutely nothing about his strength or divinity as his supporters have come to believe. He is not God and is not a prophet people. He is a human being who has flaws just like we all do. Stop spewing hate against Hillary and everyone else who doesn't "believe" in him.

February 9, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  15. Hope

Hillary supporters, ever notice every time Obama gets a new slogan or finds a way to motivate his supporters, lo and behold Hillary starts moving in that direction and or starts saying or using his stuff like today she took his "YES WE CAN"!!! Geez
    You all say Obama is too young too inexperience etc...at least he's original and not the fake as the Clintons are which oh by the way is starting to show through their sheeps clothing...
    OBAMA in 08!!!

February 9, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  16. Definitely Hillary

Hillary is NOT the past. She can look back with pride to the successful Bill Clinton administration in which she was involved, but she has her own vision for the future which is more realistic, more specific, more detail than Obama's empty promises.

Hillary's vision is based on her solid foundation of serving Americans since she was in College.

Obama's vision is based on what??? What had he exactly done before being skyrocketed to the presidential election? People, think!!!

February 9, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  17. Mary

Obama is getting more and more ingratiating in his phoney deference and nice-nice talk about Hillary. Personally, I can't stand him – as far as I'm concerned he's a power hungry politican who knows how to talk a good game. I hope he loses

February 9, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  18. Holly B

Is Sam implying that if women don't vote for Hillary, it will be another 200 years before another worthy female candidate comes along? HAH! The bar is always high for women, I know, I am one and I would not vote for Hillary for any reason on earth, the least of which is her gender. Our time will come, but she is the wrong candidate just because she is Bill's wife doesn't mean she can lead the country...no thank you!!!

February 9, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  19. rachel

I expet Obama to carry Wisconsin feb. 19th our Gov is backing him of course it could be because Obama came and camaigned for him when it was his reelection. Our lt. gov is supporting Hillary. My union is supporting Hillary, Obama may carry the WI because what has become Obama's rockstar like status or second coming of Jesus status, but he wont be getting my voting and I am speaking as an African American and I have listened to both canidates and I think Hillary has more substance. I have many latino friends who are literally shaking in their boots at the prospect o f Obama getting the nod.

February 9, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  20. brian

Sweet talks!! Pampering voters and giving them what they want to hear will not do good for the nation. If I want a dose of inspiration, I would rather buy a book of "chicken soups for minds" and I will not vote for a sweet talker as I cannot afford to lose my job, my home because of his lack of attention to detail and ability to execute to deliver results.

February 9, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  21. observer#1

Obama cant build on people Hillary is bringing in either. And there are people who dont like Obama. What, do you think everyone likes him because a bunch of mindless young kids that arent old enough to vote chase after him? His speeches are same old, same old. His ideas are all based on Hillarys. No, not everyone likes this man and I will never vote for him. I turn the channel everytime he is shown because I cant stand the sight of him or to listen to another blab, blab , blab from him.

February 9, 2008 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  22. d

Obama is very arrogant in that Ad.... Of course he's playing up to the blacks in that state. If he really cared, he would have built a home or two for his fellow people.

February 9, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  23. Catherine

The Clinton(s) againg in the white House; what did they forget their? enough is enough let us all go for a Change...... Go Obama

February 9, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  24. Lyn

Smoke and mirrors won't do much to make sure FEMA is overhauled and that we all have health care. Yes, her plans have factual step-by-step plans that for a mere candidate are a incredibly thought out and complete. Intelligent people can see through fantasy ads to what will make this country rise.

Hill Yeah!!

February 9, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  25. jershom

and I think Obama has no right using this post-Katrina pictures in his campaign! He wasn't even there when this happened. Another politician who will do everything to get a vote!!!

February 9, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |