February 8th, 2008

Obama, Clinton trade ad buys in critical states

Obama is hoping for a big win in Louisiana.
Obama is hoping for a big win in Louisiana.

(CNN) - Barack Obama launched a new ad in Louisiana on Friday, just one day before the state’s Democratic primary.

The Obama campaign’s ad, titled ‘Future,’ pairs images of the Illinois senator and a devastated, post-Katrina New Orleans – gutted homes, an affected man with his child, a shirt that reads ‘Rebuild New Orleans’ – with audio of his inspirational ‘Yes, We Can’ speech.

Earlier this week, the Illinois senator's campaign included a spreadsheet in an e-mail to supporters in which they projected a double-digit win in Louisiana.

“This election is about the past versus the future,” Obama says . “Hard as it may seem, we cannot lose hope.

“There are people all across this great nation who are counting on us. Who cannot afford another four years without health care. They can’t afford another four years without good schools. They can’t afford another four years without decent wages.”

His campaign has also begun airing its Super Bowl spot, ‘Join’ in Wisconsin in advance of the state’s February 19 primary.

On Friday, on a conference call reporting a massive new fundraising haul, Hillary Clinton’s campaign announced that they were airing ads targeting voters in the Potomac primaries, which head to the polls next Tuesday, February 12.

Obama has been running spots in those states since the days before the February 5 Super Tuesday contests.

Clinton also has begun airing a long-running healthcare spot in Washington State, with the addition of endorsements from the state’s two Democratic senators.

Clinton and Obama will go head-to-head in eight Democratic contests in the next four days.

–CNN's Jeff Simon

1. floydfix

bill clinton as the frist lady or last man standing.

February 9, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  2. Obama Rama Ding Dong

I am from New Orleans and it sickens me to see Obama claiming that he cares. He comes down here during an election acting like he really cares. BULL!!!! One visit means he cares enough to try to be elected. Where was he and the rest of the nation when we really needed him. Oh, maybe he was working with Nagin on a recovery plan that never materialized, DUH!!!! A vote for Obama is a vote for more poverty, heartache and more of the same lack of progress Nagin has brought to New Orleans. Don't throw New Orleans away by throwing your vote away and giving it to Obama.

February 9, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  3. Lila

I have the same problems with Obama running ads with the Katrina devastation, even in Louisiana, as I did with Guiliani running on 9/11. These are tragedies, not campaign fodder.

As for the health plans, Clinton and Obama have both been clear about how they're going to pay for their healthcare initiatives and have detailed plans in place. And when the estimated cost is broken down by the estimated number of people it will cover (by an indepentent economist, not either campaign), Clinton's is actually less expensive per person.

February 9, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  4. Rory

Giulliani got crucified using 9/11 as part of his campaign. So how is Obama getting away with this? Isn't this his first visit to New Orleans since Katrina? Oh, I get it, it was a little too hard to swallow that a nation as glorious as ours allowed this to happen to one of it's cities, so he voted "NOT PRESENT".

February 9, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  5. Hillary is the Status Quo

jershom, there are no politicians shadier than the Clintons. If you can't admit that, there's some swamp land in Florida I want to sell you.

I'm for Obama, but I think GW left such a mess, no one can fix it in 4 yrs. Who ever gets in will be hated.

Hillary will lose to McCain. Then Obama will waltz in 2012.

So, Go Billary!!! Give the white house to Republicans!

February 9, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  6. Chris

Streetjustiz, you and other Americans really need to take a step back and look at the reality of universal health care. Carol in Canada above is absolutely right. I'm Canadian too. Our system is great. It only costs us a few dollars per pay. We're covered for everything from ingrown toe nails to brain surgery. Real doctors. Hospitals better than most of yours.

The reality is NO democratic candidate that even comes close to true universal health care. Your lobbiest system is so entrenched the candidates can't even touch the idea yet.

If you want universal health care, or any other positive change, you first need to get rid of all the lobbiests. Then you can try. Obama is the only one willing to take these people on. Do that first, THEN you can change your country – and hopefully start to catch up with the rest of the world.

Clinton will only bring you eight more years of decline towards the third world.

February 9, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  7. Observer

One aspect of Obama's candidacy that seems to get little attention in the US, is that many people across the world – Ireland, Britain, France (!), Germany, Italy, Kenya (naturally!), South Africa, Japan, India, Australia and Canada are not only riveted by these primaries but also seem to be rooting for Obama. I'm not suggesting that should be the only consideration, but surely at a time when the US has taken a hit to its international image, it would be a huge advantage to have a candidate who the world is already receptive to. Even beyond that, his credentials are impressive so I don't believe that it's just on the basis of image or his oratorical skills.

I'm not American and don't mean to interfere – just suggesting people factor in both domestic and international implications of your choice for president.

February 9, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  8. susan in canada

to carole in canada.

Please do not mislead the folks in the USA when it comes to Heathcare. Yes it has its advantages. However I do recall that not too long ago our emergency units were closed and patients were ushered from one hospital to another because our Universal Health care system was failing us. Hospital doors were closed, there was insufficient funding and our doctors were basically calling for an overhaul of the system.

Where do you think the funding for 'Universal Health care 'comes from......
    Our tax dollars!!.. compared to the USA our personal income tax levels are way beyond belief.... NOTHING IS FOR FREE my dear.. We pay for everything directly or indirectly.

The US economy is near or in a recession, foreclosures are at an all time high and yet the discussion of having a mandatory Universal heath care system seems reasonable? THERE IS NO MONEY FOLKS. Penalties incurred for not subscribing to a manadatory Heathcare system would result in further financial hardship ..

A subsidized heathcare system makes sense, it's affordable and attainable for all.

OBAMA 2008!!

February 9, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  9. Charlotte

The governor of Washington endorsed Obama because he has charisma? When I think of the greart northwest and charisma in the same sentence I think of Ted Bundy.

February 9, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  10. Nando, Florida

HILLARY tell the American People what happens if you don't get HILLARY CARE?

HMMMMMMMMMM ????

February 9, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. Sal

Hillary Healthcare plan will be anti democratic by madate on its Voter.

Adults should be able to make that choice themselves.

and in some cases Garnishing wages.

With all the troubles with the VA medical Center Government operated

Why would anyone trust a Government mandated Healthcare, that offer no choice.

Veterans deserve better,

Obama 08

Please address if I am wrong

February 9, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. Ron

Sen Obama's great speaches is all that is there. Looking back on what the people who actually need health care, who actually need security and insurance are the people who have voted for Sen Clinton. Ofcourse the big wigs have voted for Sen Obama coz they are going to get what they want from him and the press who are being so unfair towards sen. Clinton. Why don;t you want our country to move up? do you want change even more for the worse? Hilary is the right canidate to move this country out of the rut.

February 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  13. Sual-Ok Lion

We are behind you!!!!!
    Go Obama !!!!!
    Yes you can change !!!!!!!!!
    Sual-Ok Lion in Berlin,Germany

February 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. RuthieM

There is absolutely nothing wrong and everything right about Obama taking photo in devastation of New Orleans. He wasn't running for president when this tragedy occurred, George Bush was. And didn't The people should be slamming George Bush for his (non) reaction, not Obama. He is doing the right and is telling the people of LA he as president will always do the right thing by them, unlike Bush. Also, where is mention of all Obama overseas primary wins? Japan, Denmark, Indonesia, Germany...
    Yet, Clinton winning American Somoa (?) was headlined everywhere! Barack Obama, more than 25 YEARS EXPERIENCE, ready to lead - FROM DAY ONE! OBAMA '08!!!

February 9, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. God Bless America

Some Clinton Supporter who is a Woman and is married to a NM State senator took 3 ballot boxes home on the night of Feb 5th.

FACT

February 9, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Judy

I am stunned at all the money Obama is spending on campaign ads and all the promises he is making. Where is he going to get the money to do all the things he is promising to do. I think his inexperience is going to get him in trouble if he is elected President of the United States. He is promising to much without the ability of funding to make good on those promises. I am very worried that he is promising things he won't be able to deliver, therefore, I am considering changing my vote to Clinton. I remember when Bill Clinton was in office..he may have done some things that I don't like but the state of our country was 100% better than it is now.

February 9, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Carole in Canada

""I believe you're asking the WRONG person to bring YOUR SON HOME!! HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE IN THE 1ST PLACE . HILARY WAS THE ONE WHO VOTED FOR THE WAR REMEMBER!!!""

Didn't I read somewhere that Obama was not even in the senate yet when 'the vote' happened Didn't he join the Senate in 2005. He could not of voted for/against the war as he wasn't even there to vote. The quote read "he started out saying he 'would not' have voted for the war and now he's saying he 'didn't' vote for the war." I guess that would be true if he wasn't even there. BTW I have a clear recollection of the voting etc before the war in IRAQ and many many politicians were duped by the BUSH WAR MACHINE, even Collen Powell

I remember watching a documentary about the saddest of situations involving a young man who was trying to stave off infection in a wound he was sewing up himself because he had no money to see a doctor. Horrifying!! "Mislead the people of the U.S.A. on our Health Care system NO I think not " BUT I do know this...If we had the U.S. Medicare system, here in Canada, my husband would be dead today, because we could never have afforded the surgery that saved his life So tell me how can you criticize a health care system that saves a man's life

Vote Hillary!
    Hillary bring my son home!

February 9, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. JoeNyc

It looks like Clintonians have short memories.. Hillary's universal healthcare promises in 1992 did not get realized.. do you think this time around Hillary's system will fly...

My friends, unless you eliminate the powerfull lobbyists and special interest groups in Washington first, no system will work.. You are all dreaming unless you begin by cleaning house first...

Hillary is opposed to cleaning up Washington.. she is a part of this system.. Obama's will take on Washington.. He owes nothing to anyone.. his campaign funds are clean... No contributions from companies and interest groups.

Wake up Clintonians.. go OBAMA 08.. help us reclaim our country..

February 9, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Ms T.

Holly B, I agree. I am all for a women in the White House just not her. I will wait 200 more years if that is the case

February 9, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Ms T.

Let's be factual about the 1990's, I do not want to go back there and Hillary brings 35 years of a particular mindset that should not be a part of our future. There was some good times when Bill was president and Hillary was first lady but there was some atrocities as well.

1994 Rwanda–800,000-1,00,000 africans were killed, on their watch. So much for foreign policy.

Welfare reform–took many single parents out of the home without a effective vocational program in place to ensure economic stability beyond the 1990's. so much for social reform.

Prison system: More african americans lock up dis-proportionaltely to others during the Clinton's reign. Just to mention a few.

OBAMA 08........ all he way......

February 9, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. zo

I call a spade a spade...obama will never be president, he will never be the man, he will never be the man...he will never be JFK or RFK.. He is just a 1st term junior senator with unrealistic ideals. Oprah could waiste another 32 million this month and he still isnt gonna get past the superdelegates...He isnt JFK and Oprah isnt sinatra...Hillary isnt perfect, but she has experience and what counts, and thats political clout to get the job done in the US and overseas..Semper Fi....

February 9, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  22. blkjazz

I am still waiting for someone...anyone...to please tell me and the rest of the country what real experience Hillary Clinton has that somehow is supposed to be superior to Obama. Neither has been president before. Obama has held elective office longer than Hillary. Obama actually practiced law for people...not corporations like Hillary. His life has been a lot more like most Americans than Clinton.

February 9, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  23. Paul

Hey guys – I'm a white guy republican – voting for Barack. Why? Because he has integrity and our party hasn't for 7 years. BUT – I'd rather rot in hell than vote for the bottom of the integrity barrel – Hillary.

Common guys – wake up. Get behind Obama so someone with decent intentions can sit in the oval office. Don't make us typical conservatives vote for McCain!

February 9, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Herb Kaltbaum

I watched the caucus in Seattle and have come to the conclusion that this system of voting is the most undemocratic way to run an election. It looks like a mob scene in Times Square. Real democracy requires secret ballot. The ones with the biggest mouths rule the roost. They are the most intimidating to voters who disagree. We should have a primary system where everyone can vote not just the few who show up for a few hours. HKaltb

February 9, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. Disgusted with the process

Why bother to hold a primary next Tuesday? My vote obviously won't count anyway, stupid to hold both caucas and primary.

I don't trust Obama for one minute, and I certainly don't want him in the white house.

February 9, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |