February 8th, 2008

Washington governor endorses Obama

Christine Gregoire has endorsed Obama.
Christine Gregoire has endorsed Obama.

(CNN) - Barack Obama has won the backing of Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire, one day before that state is set to hold its Democratic caucuses.

The Washington Democrat, who won the office in 2004 after a hand recount favored her by only 129 votes, said she found it difficult to choose between Obama and Hillary Clinton, but was ultimately drawn to the Illinois senator's charisma and leadership skills.

Gregoire is slated to join Obama at a campaign rally in Seattle later Friday. Clinton is also in the state, campaigning 30 miles south in Tacoma and then later in Spokane.

Washington is set to allocate its 78 delegates through caucuses - a format that has favored Obama to date this elections season.

Washington Sens. Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray have endorsed Clinton's White House bid.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. earl illingsworth

Here we go again, Obama gets the scraps and Clinton gets the" Super Delegates". It's a Wash ,as the "Wall Street Brokers" call it ,nothing more, nothing less,but in their case," they make money either way"! I see the political landscape unfolding right before my very eyes, hands down, we'll get a "BROKERED Delegate Convention"? Believe me folks, I'm a realist (not a cynic),and the only ones to WIN this bet, are the Clinton's! P.S. The House always wins, and that's, the "Entrenched House of the Clintonian's"!!!

February 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Joan

Another woman supporting Obama!!

Women are realizing that Hillary is not fighting for women, she's only fighting for herself and her own ego.

I hoep the first woman president goes to somebody more worthy, like Nancy Pelosi. Why, oh why, did they decide to try with such a flawed and messed up family like the Clintons.

February 8, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. HyeWave - Glendale, CA

Obama will prevail. O.B.1 MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU...

February 8, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. Crabby Alice in Florida

Day before voting, what time is Hillary scheduled to cry?

February 8, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Suzanne

Obama is like a hot blonde. All exterior....no substance. He is a good public speaker, very charismatic and that's about it. He has nothing to back up all of his rhetoric.

I read this somewhere and it's so true, "It always seems when there are hard choices and folks are feeling threatened they want to elect Santa Claus and he always turns out to be the gas man."

We need the real thing.....not Santa Claus.

Go Hillary!!!!

February 8, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Ginny, CA

Hey Guys, give ole' Christine a break here. She fell for the Obamamania hype and was bedazzled by his "charisma". She was just plain grasping at straws when she said she was drawn to him because of his leadership skills. He has not shown any leadership skills. And apparently he's scared to do any more debates without having John Edwards up there acting as a buffer. People are beginning to see through this guy. Oh, and did I mention, he lies like a rug!!

February 8, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Tina

Do any of you realize that the "yes we Can" slogan is the same slogan he used for his election in Illinois? This is what he calls change?

February 8, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. MARYLOU JONES

no one is really impressed with the guvner in Washington anyway. So, consider the source. VOTE HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

February 8, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. Murray

Oh Christine, yet another disservice to Hillary Clinton. You were swayed by Obama's "charisma"??!! Yet another to fall under the spell of Obama's poetry and empty promises. When will you people start using your brains and realize that you are all being conned and seduced through words and false hope??? If I honestly believed he was even 50% capable of following through on his great one-liners I would think about supporting him. But I don't believe this hype and I am not going to fall for the Hollywood style glitz and glamor campaign. It is so blatantly obvious to anyone who cares to use their brain that Hillary Clinton is clearly the superior candidate in terms of knowledge, skill, experience and general grip on reality. Those of us who live in the real world, and not the Obama world of poetic seduction, realize Hillary Clinton is clearly the best Democratic candidate for the Presidential nomination.

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!

February 8, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. blue sky

Madame Governor,

You state his "leadership" qualities was your reason to endorse him? Have you ever listened to his rallies??? Empty words.....short on Hard Issues!!
    Making Hard Choices makes a leader. Senator Obama has much to learn.

This isn't a race about wishful hoping it's about getting this country strong again.

I proudly give my support to Hillary....she's willing to VOTE for issues that could go against her politically...Sen Obama can't say that! ask Illinois NOW for one. Hope? then explain this to all the young females attending your stump speeches.

February 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. Jonny

Endorsements are good but lets leave that to whoever decide to express their mind. They have a right to do so like we too.

February 8, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. abcdef

Say No To Fantasy

Enough is enough
    Venezuela people said No to Chavez-Fantasy
    It is time for
    Russian say No to Putin-Fantasy
    Americans say No to Obama-Fantasy

February 8, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Sandra

Hillary is not some poor damsel in distress. But she always plays that card in some manner a day before any election. Her ferverent supporters are only making it worse for her. America wants change we can BELIEVE in. Let's unite for Obama.

February 8, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. jd

THANK YOU GOVERNOR- BARAKING ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

February 8, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  15. Dallas

Why do the Hillary supporters on this blog seem so bitter. Give me a break. You cannot get angry at people for choosing to support who they want to support. Either way!!

For those of you that keep making this a racial issue, why is it when white people vote for a white person, which the last time I checked was over a zillion times since every single president has been white, you don't see that as "voting for your own".

That is absurd! I am black and I am a proud supporter of Barack Obama. The fact that he is black has ZERO to do with my support of him. If he were black and ignorant, dishonest, lacking in experience or in anyway failed to illustrate how he can give our country better healthcare, get us out of the war and otherwise build our nation, he would NOT get my vote.

I am NOT a Hillary supporter because no matter how you Hillary-backers swing it, she is is bad for the White House. The Repubs hate her and she has been wheeling and dealing in Washington far too long. Have you all forgotten about the fact that she has constantly changed her campaign platform to fit what she thinks is competitive? She, and many of the Repubs, were never about Change until they saw that it worked for Obama. How can you stand by someone that morphs his/her beliefs to win an election. We do not even need to discuss the fact that her touted 35 years of experience has been largerly devoted to children and has never involved nationwide poverty, bettering schools or foreign policy. SHE HAS NO MORE FOREIGN POLICY EXPERIENCE THAN OBAMA. And if her plans were so grand, why didn't she get any of these items fixed when she was as she so eloquently puts it, "in Washington for 8 years".

The facts are what they are. OBAMA 08..........and not 'cause he's black!!

February 8, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Jim

Does it really matter?? People should be smart enough not to be swayed by endorsements (whether on Hillary or Barack). Think for yourself!

February 8, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Karen from Minnesota

Where's your loyalty to women Christine? You came to us women for money so you could get a recount. Why not support another qualified woman? Too frightening for you? Don't ask women to bail you out in the future. Even old man Bush knew what quid pro quo meant.

February 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. D-Attle

All you women only supporting Hillary because you just want to see a woman in the highest office need to give it a rest. Really, really listen to what these two PEOPLE are saying in the debates, campaign speeches, and interviews. Try to close your eyes to gender and race when making your decision. That's why Obama is so effective, he's preaching that gospel, the gospel of humanity, not women, or blacks, or even whites. You think that by voting for a woman because she's a woman, you're making a difference in the way American society views women? Fat chance. America's respect for women is as high as it has ever been and will ever get, Hillary becoming president won't effect anything. She'll prove to be just as cutthroat, conniving, and deceitful as any other politician. So again.....judge these candidates for what they're proposing and not what they represent.

F.Y.I. – I'm a black man and I'm not voting for Obama because he's black, but because I like what he's saying. If Hillary wins the nomination when it's all said and done, I'll vote for her because ultimately it's about the party. Democrats stand up!

February 8, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Kim, Dallas, TX

By the way, I am so disheartened by females that bash out at any other female that doesn't support Hillary. I don't support HIllary and I too am female. I think we need to vote for the best "person", not base it on gender or race. Many of you females are making our gender look very silly in that you appear to back HIllary simply because she is female. Look past that fact at what voting for her would mean. I don't want our presidency to be an example at this critical time in history. HIllary has not proven to me that she has the good judgment that is needed to lead. She makes votes and later regrets them. She speaks out of both sides of her mouth saying what the current population she is speaking to wants to hear. It's frustrating that people are allowed to vote and not take the time to really know who the candidates are and what they represent. I watch every debate and have heard her inconsistencies and changes. I get tired of hearing that Obama has no substance, that his speeches seem more like pep rallies. His followers know what he stands for. Anyone can know what he stands for and what he has done in Illinois and Washington if you only take the time to do some research and not base your thoughts and positions on what you read on blogs. Our country deserves people that take the time to care.

February 9, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  20. msummerlin

She sees Sen. Clinton as a rival. Get the good senator out of the way, now, so I won't have to face her when I run for President in 2012. Of course, nobody has brought it up, but a lady has a right to dream, doesn't she?! By the way, I'm a Washington resident and my vote goes for Clinton. :-) I could see Obama as a great Vice Pres.

February 9, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |