February 8th, 2008

Washington governor endorses Obama

Christine Gregoire has endorsed Obama.
Christine Gregoire has endorsed Obama.

(CNN) - Barack Obama has won the backing of Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire, one day before that state is set to hold its Democratic caucuses.

The Washington Democrat, who won the office in 2004 after a hand recount favored her by only 129 votes, said she found it difficult to choose between Obama and Hillary Clinton, but was ultimately drawn to the Illinois senator's charisma and leadership skills.

Gregoire is slated to join Obama at a campaign rally in Seattle later Friday. Clinton is also in the state, campaigning 30 miles south in Tacoma and then later in Spokane.

Washington is set to allocate its 78 delegates through caucuses - a format that has favored Obama to date this elections season.

Washington Sens. Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray have endorsed Clinton's White House bid.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Paul

I'll never vote for Obama. I don't believe in phoney messiahs created in large part by the media, and made into a false idol by the whacky left.

February 8, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Eric, Cincinnati OH

Please spare me more "Why isn't Hillary's endorsements making the news"...

Ugh, its because she is not getting new endorsements. This one is making news because it happened today. Get it, news? Something new? What do you people want, a headline story about endorsements that happened six months ago.

Clinton supporters sound so whiny and pathetic when the talk about media bias. I guess they just got used to being the only one in the spotlight.

February 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Sarah augusta ga

GO TEXAS RANGER SOME PEOPLE CALL YOU STUPID TEXAS RANGER BUT I THINK YOU R OK BUSH.

February 8, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Robert

Democratic better get behind Obama, he will win by a landslide, Hillary would rally the republican base and lose a lot independent votes. Hillary is just more polarizing, I don’t why, I can’t find anything she done to earn her that label, but the fact is she is, the polls showing who is more electable and that’s Obama!

February 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. vegage

I see all these comments and it comes to my mind how much lack of experience Obama has. Kenya, where his grand Mother lives is in peril and all he did was to send an statement saying that he is "hoping", he hopes for everything, the political turnmoil will ease. My God he's Grand Mother is there in a middle of a revolt and he is hoping the things will resolve by their own. He has not said a word about Kenya in weeks, apparently he is not even worry for his family. This is the kind of sign that tells me he is not the best candidate.

February 8, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Maxine from WA State

Race will not be a factor in Washington State as there are a low number of African Americans residing in the state. So if Obama wins WA (which I know he will) it will be because he is the better candidate.

Voting for Hillary because she is a woman is the most craziness thing that I have ever heard.

This woman will be voting for Obama.

February 8, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Felly

Obama is the best candidate to bring the much needed change and to move this country forward. And I approve this message!

February 8, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Crabby Alice in Florida

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT of the She-man man haters club. OTAY

February 8, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Crystal

When will you Hillary supporters realize that Hillary can not and WILL NOT beat McCain if she is our nominee? I'm sure she knows this, but because of her own selfish aspirations she will continue to move forward and force us to have deal with another republican for at least 4 more years. With Obama, he has managed to secure votes from all party lines...independent and republican alike. I live in an area of affluent white conservatives and many of them have switched parties to vote for Obama. They will NEVER support Hillary and that's a fact. You better wake up or else we'll be waking up one November morning with a president by the name of John McCain. (shutter). Read up on Obama. You might learn something instead of repeating something you heard.

OBAMA 08'

February 8, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. JB Hull, IA

"No wonder there is no women president – women don't support own gender."

See, this is what I'm talking about. People aren't voting based on who they think can win, or who has the best policies, or who they think can unite the nation, or who they think has the best judgement. Instead they keep spouting nonsensical attacks on the other candidate's supporters for not supporting the "black" or "female" candidate. Just because someone doesn't back a candidate of their own race or gender doesn't mean they are a traitor to their race or gender. People need to stop with the race and gender based attacks, as they are baseless and just hurt the party in the long run.

February 8, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. George from Minneapolis

I agree, Hillary supporters are a whiny bunch. Very annoying people.

FACT: Obama has been an elected official LONGER than Hillary.

what was that you were saying about experience ???

February 8, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

The reason why Washington state senators, Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray endorsements are not in the news becauses they endorsed Hillary on Dec. 31, 2007, before the Iowa Caucus. I don't know why CNN's Alexander Mooney is mentioning them again. Its should be all about Governer Christine Gregoire today!

Obama in '08!

February 8, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Republicrat

Bert,

Obama obviously has more supporters than african americans, if you paid attention to CNN like you claim most of them don't (how would you know that?) then you would see he has a much wider base than african americans. Get a clue.

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. DB

Sens. Maria Cantwell gave her support Dec 31st, so it is not news.

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Scott, Royal Oak

The constant crying from Hillary supporters is both unfounded and obnoxious.

February 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Terry, Texas

OBAMA WILL NEVER WIN TEXAS. EVERYONE I TALK TO IS SUPPORTING HILLARY. THE GULLIBLE PEOPLE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA.

GO HILLARY GO

February 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Janie

A good spokesperson does not necessarily make a good President. Anybody can give a good speech written by a speech writer..Lots of sports personalities have charisma but I wouldn't want them to be the President of the United States.The candidates still need to get to the meat of our problems and tell us how they think one person can do all the changes Obama sez he will do. We still have a Congress

February 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. DMAC in ID

This does not surprise me one bit. She is not the brightest bulb in the lamp.
    Not Obama with the mess Bush has gotten this country into. Maybe in 8yrs down the road.
    Why is he heading up a committie for over a yr. that has some forgien policy input an they have not had a meeting since he has been chairman??? So does he think he is already to smart and doesn't need the committee??

February 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Dem in Chicago

CNN is biased! not wait NBC is biased in favor of Clinton. No wait, NYTimes is biased in favor of Obama! No wait... and so on. I get so tired of all these small-minded claims of bias in the news media. CNN is not biased toward Obama or Clinton or anyone else. Get a grip.

February 8, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. MAKTA

OBAMA 08

February 8, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Ga4Obama

If Obama doesnt win the nomination, Ill vote for McCain

February 8, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton Florida

Why is a person from "KANSAS" deciding whether a Governor of WASHINGTON will get elected or not? You Hillary supporters are something else lol!

February 8, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Cindy

Sherry in Kentucky February 8, 2008 12:20 pm ET

If we let this man slip through our fingers, we may never find someone like him again. He is a leader in the true sense of the word. Change will never happen unless the people believe it is possible. Barrack takes our hand and shows us that change is possible. . . and we believe.

I'm a black female supporter of Hillary Clinton who will support Barack 1000% if he wins the nomination BUT your comments and similar ones leads me to believe you are expecting more of Barack than should be expected of any mortal. He is a man, a politician, not a "g"od. If you're looking for someone to take your hand, I suggest you're looking in the wrong place. Perhaps you should try church or therapy. I'm just saying...

February 8, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. MAKTA

QUOTE OF THE DAY;

-I wouldnt endorse an un-motivated, vision-less, and incompetent (get the point) individual to lead my country.

THATS A GOOD ONE TRACY

February 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. herb riemenschneider

He's and good man and I hope he wins,but he's been doing the big city tour what about rural america we are the backbone of this great nation. bush and his boys. had there time. now its our turn.

February 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |