February 9th, 2008

Democrats dread drawn-out, costly campaign

ALT TEXT

The closeness of the Democratic race is providing a dilemma for party leaders. (Photo credit: Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - With Sens. Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Clinton of New York nearly splitting the delegate count in the race for the Democratic nomination, party leaders have a major dilemma on their hands: a tie ballgame heading into the convention.

"I think we're going to have a nominee by middle of March or April." Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said. "But if we don't, then we're gonna have to get the candidates together and make some kind of arrangement, because I don't think we can afford to have a brokered convention. That would not be good news for either party."

That's because unlike recent conventions, when the party tickets were firmly established, Obama and Clinton could conceivably end up short of the 2,025 delegates needed to secure the nomination.

Full story

1. BJ

Obama needs to do as Romney did. Quit for the GOOD OF AMERICA. We don't
    need another 4 years of repubilicans in the White House, which is what we will get if he is the demo candiidate.

GO HILLARY

February 9, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Jose Card - Independent

How about the voters?

February 9, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Jim in the Boonies

" I think we're going to have a nominee by middle of March or April. But if we don't, then we're gonna have to get the candidates together and make some kind of arrangement, because I don't think we can afford to have a brokered convention."

Let's not forget the super-delegates, who already break disproportionately from the votes of the people, towards her Highness.

To heck with the will of the people, huh Howard ?

February 9, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Suzie Wilhelm

Go Obama! This will be over by March! Hillary should consider a vice-presidential run.

February 9, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. Anna

I'm a 21 year old who feels at odds with the rest of my demographic for supporting Hillary Clinton. I also agree that the superdelegate system is a way for the DNP to override the popular vote. However, for those who have a strong democratic ideology, it is incredibly hypocritical to say I will not vote simply if the superdelegates favor Clinton or if they do Obama. Clinton and Obama share basically the same views. While I have my personal reasons for voting for Hillary, I do know that if Obama were to be the Democratic nominee, while I would be dissappointed, I would stand up and vote. As an American, it is my civic duty and a well fought for right to do so. I am an independent, but my views lean very left. I find it hypocritical for someone to say I will not vote for X candidate in November because my candidate didn't win, even though they have the same views, and would accomplish the change we have deemed necessary for our nation. Honestly, anyone of the democratic candidates would be better than Mccain, and if you do not vote for the change you want, our country will go to hell sooner than later!

February 9, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. John Smith

The Hillary supporters remain BLIND to several major facts:

The Clintons carry with them:

1. Special disgust by most Independents and Republicans.

2 Excessive dirty baggages (Blue dress interns etc), by their own designs.

3. Are very unpopular (especially Hillary) in the U.S. and around the world b/c of the last few years of the Clinton scandals, impeachment etc.

4. Are actually fighting, not for the "soul" of the nation or the Dem party, but to lay the foundation for Chelsea to be President in the future.

5. Hillary may be "famous" because of Bill, but she is "un-electable" b/c of her high NEGATIVES (compared to Gore and Kerry); there will be people who will come out to VOTE against Hillary (including this Independent observer). So, the Dems better wake up!!! Any woman nominee but Hillary can do a better job. May be Laura Bush should compete, given her recent 8 years of experience!!!!!

February 9, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Darren Guillaume

Well as an Iraq War Vet, and a retired National Guardsman, I will only support Hillary Clinton. If she does not make it, I must choose McCain. I am pro-choice, but I am also pro-veteran. Hillary has done something for veterans, Obama makes us sound like a bunch of thugs and criminals.

February 9, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. Independent

Let's analyze this:
    1st: Clinton was inavitable so all she thought she had to do was sit and watch her gender get her the white house.

2nd) After Iowa, she and her husband became frustrated and turned nasty; she won New Hempshire and still remained unevitable. Now all she had to do was sit and watch her husband win her the election.

3rd) During S.C. she and her husband lost it and turned people off, depleting her inevitability. People gave Obama another look and fall in love with him immediately.

4th) Leading to super tuesday, America turned to Obama - with early voters regreting casting their votes early for Clintons.

5) Now the Clintons are at the end of their rope. Claiming she deserved to win for being a woman did not work; using nastiness did not work; they don't know how to be honest and nice. So what do they do now? They are frantic!

Conclusion: When Clinton was supposed to be inevitable, she lost to Obama. Obama has been steadily gaining momentum while she has been steadily losing hers. If she really cares about America and does not want to see another Republican in the White House, she needs to follow Romney's lead and quit. The people are embracing Obama!

February 9, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Debbie

OBAMA GET OUT OF THE RACE. I just listened to your pep-rally type speech beginning with your high-five type handshakes. You are not strong enough to win over the reps and conservatives. They will rip you apart. The slick-spin you pull with Hillary is not going to work next nov. And the media hypes you up because they know youll loose to their party.
    Let Hillary go on, and win. Sit back and forget your unsubstantial preacher-like speech. YOU are the polarizing figure that needs to step down.

February 10, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |