February 9th, 2008

Paul rules out third party bid, phasing back campaign

Rep. Ron Paul speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday.

(CNN) - It's perhaps the most Shermanesque statement Ron Paul has ever issued concerning the potential he'll run as a third party candidate.

"I am a Republican, and I will remain a Republican," Paul wrote in a letter to supporters posted on his Web site. "I am committed to fighting for our ideas within the Republican Party, so there will be no third party run."

But the Texas congressman, who has shocked the political world with his grassroots fundraising success and army of devoted supporters, vowed to press on with his campaign, while acknowledging the chances of a brokered convention are "nearly zero."

But Paul, who has had trouble converting his grassroots energy into support at the ballot box, revealed he's making cuts to his field staff, and indicated he will shift much of his attention to his home district and the reelection race he faces there.

"If I were to lose the primary for my congressional seat, all our opponents would react with glee, and pretend it was a rejection of our ideas. I cannot and will not let that happen," he said.

– CNN Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. franklee

Obama is very mean, rude, corrupt, shameless person. He is a divider rather than uniter .

He has been playing race card(Now he got he wanted, almost all African-Americans vote for him in every state), and playing games of JFK, MLK, Regan, Kerry, now Ted Kennedy..

What next? Bush? YES.

Indeed He is another inexperienced, divisive BUSH, we American DO NOT want suffer from Obama, and we should block the his way to White House!

Shame Obama!

February 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. jake

Ok, yeah, Obama is a nice guy and appeals to the "multitudes", but what can he really do for US? I've heard alot of rhetoric, but nothing substinative. As a life-long democrat, I just can't vote for someone who is so full of hot air. Hillary is "the girl" for US! She has definitive ideas and knows how to make it work! Don't be fooled by the hot air. If you want someone who can take our party to the WhiteHouse, Vote for the Hill!

February 9, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. LeeAnn

Example of someone running for president and also running for congress at the same time.

February 9, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Jessica

Ron Paul, even if you do not win you have shone a light onto topics we as Americans should be discussing. What you speak is the truth even if the MSM will not acknowledge it.

Ron Paul is the best man for the job.

If Ron Paul does not win the election it will be a sad day for America.

February 9, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Veronica Ward

It is truly sad that Ron Paul doesn't get as much coverage as the other republicans. I like his message even though I think he's a closet racist and is a little wacky.

February 9, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. concerned voter

I'm very upset with the media coverage they have been unfair towards Hillary Clinton, Obama has been given a free ride. Why are you not going after his record, and we don't know his accomplishments we all know Hillary past the Clitons have been dragged through the mud for the last fifteen years. This is a man that has no plans you can't just draw our troops out with no backing no substance. I'm just asking cnn to be fair to all candiates treat them the same.
    I feel that media is trying to brain wash us, this is not a joke this just to important, and we can't have another unexperience president . We are a joke world wide thanks to mr.Bush. The Clintons are very loved we had a great 8yrs. We need them back Hillary can beat John McCain. Can you please put this on a fair game to Hillary,McCain,andHuckabee. No more 85% towards Obama how wonderful he is, so you say, give the facts.

February 9, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Traci

I dont know how the GOP thinks it can win any election with a war monger as top dog. 70% of Americans want out of Iraq...Obama is getting not only the democrat vote he is also getting the independent and jaded republican vote in which is now being called a movement. The GOP should of embraced the movement coined the revolution of Ron Paul. The GOP has lost its way because it has gone against its own principals of small government, fiscal responsibility, and a humble foreign policy. I will switch my self to undeclared as soon as this election is over. The GOP with its snickering candidates and total disregard for Ron Paul and his supporters has made me not believe that anyone who is running for office is in it for any other reason than their own selfish motivation. I urge all Ron Paul supporters to stay in it until the end, and if Ron Paul is not on the ticket vote democrat....four years of tax and spend might wake the GOP up to what the base wants. As for me, I will not vote for John McCain just because he has an R beside his name does not make him a republican.

February 9, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. Tom Wittmann

RON PAUL, being an idealist, is at least more realistic as his fanatic supporters
    by rejecting the absurd idea of an independent candidature

I also understand his emphasis on trying to ensure his Hause re-election.

But I do not understand his willingness to continue in the primaries, without any
    chance o a brokered convention, which only diminish the Republican chances by
    forcing McCain to invest some energy and money there, instead to concentrate on
    the fight of the Dems

Mr. PAUL:

your prestige and influence would be greatly enhanced if you withdraw !!

TOM

February 9, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. kenneth sylvester

His ideas don't belong in the Republican party. I think he can make a good team with Denis Kunicik and Edward Kennedy.

February 9, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. kevin from alaska

Why not a picture of him? I know I've seen enough pictures of Huckabee, Romney, Barack, Bill Clinton, and whoever else is running in this race. Why not a picture of Ron?

February 9, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Matt

Holy . . . CNN covered Paul!

Kids, gather round, call the parents, ma' and pa', everyone look . . .

. . . There it is.

. . . CNN, a news network, covered Paul.

February 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. Laura

My hope now is for Bloomberg to throw his hat in the ring.

February 9, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Jon

What a sad state of affairs we are in when the candidate with the most experience on the economy gets laughed at and ignored by the media. Ron Paul has spent over 20 years in public service to help fix the bad monetary policies coming out of Washington, and his voting record proves it.

Notice how Ron Paul is excluded from the Categories on the right of the CNN ticker webpage? Yet they include Edwards and Romney even though they dropped out! How low and sleazy can you get, CNN?

February 9, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. Brian

""But that does not affect my determination to fight on, in every caucus and primary remaining, and at the convention for our ideas, with just as many delegates as I can get," her wrote."

Her wrote? Yes her DID!

February 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. Michael

The revolution lives on...

February 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. L Eilmes

I know a lot of people will vote for Huckabee. My husband and I will vote for him for sure. We believe God is the One who puts one in the office of His choice.We are happy with whoever is His chosen and pray for him. (God–JESUS is His name, and also ".......the ruler of the kings of the earth.......' (Rev. 1:5). Be at peace , let;s see how He does it! He is in full control. I also believe miracles, but most likely His way is normal, hidden, and wonderful. He is really good at being God.

February 9, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. Lydia

I like Ron Paul. He is the only Republican I've ever heard who speaks with good sense. Maybe that's why his campaign has not been successful with Republicans. If he can appeal to someone like me who is far left of center, then he probably does not appeal to the die-hard Republican. I personally support Obama and I'm cautiously optimistic that he will win the Democratic nomination. If Obama does not win the Democratc nomination, I will not vote for Hillary.

Hillary was my girl but I have been saddened by the type of devisive campaign she has run. Even her supporters, who seem to be the majority on the CNN blogs, are devisive.

If Obama receives the endorsement of an African American, Hillary supporters say Obama received the endorsement because of race.

However, if Hillary receives the endorsement of a white person or a woman, neither of those endorsers are insulted by saying they support her because she is white and female.

Hillary is not good for America.

If I had to choose between Hillary and Ron Paul, Ron Paul would win hands down.

February 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Nick, Austin, TX

hey "concerned voter" maybe if Hillary Clinton didn't, you know, play dirty so much she would get better coverage. Just a thought.

It is sad that Ron Paul doesn't get hardly any news coverage when he is the only person at the republican debates that didn't sound like a lunatic.

Not that I care THAT much since I was planning to vote for a Democrat anyway since I had Paul's domestic policy, but still, he deserved at least a little more attention.

February 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Shaheen

I have been watching your elections from South Africa with keen intrest. I hope Hillary Clinton wins. Would be good to see what a women can do in a mans world. Obama would be my second choice. As for those republicans keep them out they all like Bush and the world despises the peanut.

February 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Dave. San Diego, CA

To the first two posters......franklee and jake, what exactly does this article have to do with Obama? NOTHING!!!!! The fact is this article is about RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to write about Obama or Hillary.....find an article about one of them to post on.

I like Ron Paul. I really hoped that he would have done better in this race, but it looks like the media has basically pulled the plug on his campaign. Did anyone notice during the Reagan Library debate the moderators kept cutting him and Mike Huckabee off if they were allowed to answer at all? It was actually quite sad to see. I actually like some of his ideas. I could have seen myself voting for him, if I were a Republican.

As a Democrat I could have seen myself voting for him in the general, depending of course on who the Democratic nominee is.

February 9, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. Aaron K, Bondurant IA

Ron Paul, you never got close to the chance you should of. From FOX NEWS calling you crazy, to Giuliani laughing at you, to the rest of the media constantly saying you can't win. You have brought up subjects and ideas that don't get talked about in America, that really should be. You were the only one in the race on either side that spoke the truth of the actual changes that need to be made within our government, as well as within our own minds. Let's be honest, we're in for another 4 years of war and recession, maybe even depression, if Ron Paul doesn't pull a miracle out. God bless you Ron Paul; I will continue to send money to your campaign.

February 9, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  22. Dave

Ron Paul may be our last hope to take our country back.

He's a Fiscal Conservative and will work to take back our economy.

If we stay today's course. In less than 20 years the War will bankrupt our country. Just like the former USSR.

Do you remember ?

Those who forget History. Are doomed to repeat it.

DS

February 9, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. California Voter

End sexism in the 21st century, vote for Hillary!

February 9, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. pam,s.c.

what does this article have to do with obama?

February 9, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Sljs

I am ashamed at the way CNN goes after Hillary Clinton–clothes, replay of sound bites that depict her in a negative light, calling her polarizing, and placing pictures of her that portrait her as unapproachable. I have yet to see or hear these things as it relates of the old white men running for president, and I don't hear or see them about Obama. Of course I realize that the network is behindObama's campaign and trying to sway the votes toward him–right now. Of course if he gets the nominatin, there will be plenty of sound bites and ugly pictures to show the audience.

Hey! Go after all the candidates equally!!! I do suppose it is hard to swallow that there is a women smart, strong, and an independent thinker–perhaps a threat to the "good ole boys".

February 9, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |