February 10th, 2008

Clinton shuffles campaign team

Patti Solis Doyle will now serve as senior adviser.
Patti Solis Doyle will now serve as senior adviser.

(CNN) - Former Hillary Clinton chief of staff Maggie Williams will take over as campaign manager, Clinton staffers were told today. Current campaign manager and longtime friend Patti Solis Doyle will assume the role of senior adviser.

The switch has been rumored for more than a month – ever since Election Day in New Hampshire, when it was revealed that Williams would be joining the campaign in the wake of Clinton’s loss in the Iowa caucuses. At the time, Solis Doyle was urged to remain on board.

"I have been proud to manage this campaign, and prouder still to call Hillary my friend for more than sixteen years. I know that she will make a great president," Solis Doyle said in an e-mail to campaign staffers.

She added that the "the longest presidential campaign in the history of our nation" had "required enormous sacrifices from all of us and our families."

"...Maggie [Williams] is a remarkable person and I am confident that she will do a fabulous job."

A source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that Solis Doyle’s job had been at risk since Clinton's Iowa loss. Clinton's poor performance there coincided with the realization that the campaign had been running out of money – a fact which had not been related to the New York senator until then.

Still, Clinton stuck with Solis Doyle out of loyalty, says this source.

"There was a lot of dissatisfaction with the ground operation. There was nobody in charge,” another source tells CNN, adding that Solis Doyle was starting to lose the respect of some senior advisers, who fretted that campaign's message from state to state was not clear.

Doyle was "notorious for not returning phone calls which was starting to upset superdelegates and surrogates," and the endorsement process became "messy," says a source.

The New Hampshire win postponed the decision, but Solis Doyle failed to capitalize on the additional time. Maggie Williams began to take on many of the duties of campaign manager, and the lines of authority blurred.

The senior team was going to Williams for guidance, while the junior team was reporting to Doyle.

Insiders describe Doyle and Williams as close friends of Hillary Clinton. One said that "there didn't need to be a dual layer hostile environment - they just needed to sort it out."

Some in the campaign put a positive spin on the situation, saying that the move was anti-climactic – since Williams had effectively been in control for weeks – and would provide much-needed clarification. Clinton made the decision herself, said several sources, adding that there are not likely to be any hard feelings.

This week, Maggie Williams said she could not work with Solis Doyle, the source adds. It is unclear who, if anyone, might exit next: some in the campaign have said they would leave if Solis Doyle did.

In a statement released by her campaign Hillary Clinton said "I look forward to [Solis Doyle's] continued advice in the months ahead.

"Patti and I have worked with Maggie Williams for more than a decade. I am lucky to have Maggie on board and I know she will lead our campaign with great skill towards the nomination."Williams served as Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff during Bill Clinton’s first term.

(updated 6:20 p.m. ET with additional reporting)

–CNN's Jessica Yellin, Suzanne Malveaux and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. hopeful

Just remember Obamaniacs if he gets the nominatation, he can't and won't win without Hillary's supporters........

February 11, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  2. Al

Seems to me Hillary is the real "Hope Monger". I can't believe a political team with over 70 years of combined experience / lies can be this incompotent with all of the support of DNC. Hillary makes the claim that she will be ready from day one, so far all she has proven is she won't ever be ready because she cannot lead or rally a team of people to accomplish a common goal.

I am glad the Clinton's are finally being exposed for what they really are. Time to end this circus freak show and heal the country. Let's all get behind Obama because he is showing the world what you can do when you work hard and motivate people to rally around a common cause that is bigger then the sum of people.

February 11, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  3. dendy

This is Yet, Another Caucus, where Republicans can participate and skew the vote. Now that they have their candidate, they can try to influence the Democratic nomination. It's amazing that Obama does so well in the places where the Republicans can participate. Doesn't do so well in the closed Democratic races.
    Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!

February 11, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  4. Barbara

In your updated 2 minutes ago of the results and delegate count you missed two primaries, Virgin Islands and Samoa your count is not up to date.

February 11, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  5. Lee, York Pa

Hillary is the one!!!
    Hillary 08
    Hillary 08
    HILLARY 08

February 11, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  6. Bryan

The days of the Clinton's are over. It's as straight forward and as simple as that. Hats off to Bill for doing a fairly decent job when in office. While she stood graciously beside him during his fumbles, Hillary was one of his biggest liabilities. People didn't like her then. As ambitious as she may be, she does not have presidential qualities and for whatever reason, she has a hard time being credible or trustworthy. Anybody with a sense of forward vision would also realize that she'd be horrible as a president. I just get the sense that Bill would be quarter-backing the whole way because I just don't see where Hillary has inherent leadership qualities. Frankly, Bill and Hillary have had their time, which is long past now. It is time to turn the page and move on.

I've been a Republican since I was old enough to vote. I voted for Clinton the first time around, and then for Dole. Subsequently, I've voted for Gore and Kerry simply because it was clear that Bush is the puppet president and we've effectively thrown the last 8 years of our country's greatness down the drain under his administrations inept and corrupt leadership (or lack thereof). Four more years under Mc Cain will be another disaster. This man is out of touch with the needs of our modern world. Barack Obama '08.

February 11, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  7. John

Obama is always talking about changes, he should be reminded that it takes experience to effect change. He talks about opposing the war from the begining but, the facts is, he wasn’t yet a senator when the crucial votes took place in congress.If he was a senator he would have perhaps called in sick.aleast, those were his attributions in IL. 80% of the Blacks in this country have already made up their minds about obama either they concur with his values or not .We have more allegiance to our race than for this great nation.lets vote for obama based on his merits . we need to have open minds about this election. we should not be fooled by good speeches, that are full of rhetorics.we should seek for the specifics behind these rhetorics. Mccain will finish him when it comes to the issue of national security and experience. it will take more than likability and speehes to rule this country. “yes we can!!! this is not a civil right movement. this is about heading the highest post in the universe.

February 11, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  8. LeShawn

Unfortunately, Mrs. Clinton cannot run her campaign correctly. I am really scared of what she would do if she got in office. She always brings up the fact that she has more experience, but Mr. Obama hasn't shaken up his campaign yet. How many times has it been for Mrs. Clinton? I lost count. Mr. Obama has the nation interested in this election and I believe with all my heart that he will lead the USA back to the road to the promise land. Dr. King envisoned a world where all men were created equal, One where one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will they be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. One where children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I see Dr. King's dream coming true with Mr. Obama. Not because he is a black man that has real chance of becoming a president, but because he is the only person in this race looking to unite our nation at it's core.

Obama 08

February 11, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  9. Ernie

Obama did well last Tuesday...
    swept yesterday...
    won today....
    and is now projected to win 6 more contests before March.
    No wonder she has to shake things up.

February 11, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  10. Heath, Bronx, NY

Where did Hillary get the $5 million to loan her campaign? She said it was from her own pocket, yet she refuses to show her tax records. Is this more of the same, she is selling her campaign out to lobbyist?

February 11, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  11. Jean

That's a sign of defeat.
    Go Obama

February 11, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  12. Wake up

If something isn't working, you change it. If she had done nothing, the results would've probably stayed the same. She is not out of this presidential race yet! The contest is heating up and she's preparing for a fight.

If we want her as the candidate, we're gointg to have to come out in force and put her back in the game. HILLARY IS COMING BACK AND SHE'LL BE BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Remember the US is in bad shape because of a naive politician who made promises that he couldn't keep and then let Dick Cheney and his oil buddiesl take over the country. Bush served his family well and they continued to get richer. He did not serve his country well and now as a nation we are poorer.

We need someone with Hillary's experience to get the US back to some kind of balance, especially in terms of the World community. We can't rely on a rookie to pull this country out of the whole that it has fallen into.

I am still concerned about the FL and MI delegates not getting counted. It is ridiculous to think that a FL caucas will fix this mess. A redo is really out of the question and wouldn't be fair to the voters who turned out the first time to vote.

February 11, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. Al, Redmond

I guess I would describe myself as a moderate democrat. I voted for Bill Clinton, and over time, I have come to know Hillary as a political entity of her own, and I respect her abilities and accomplishments.

Despite this, over the last several weeks, I have found myself being won over by Obama's style, approach, and operation. I wrote both campaigns and told them both that I was "in between". I received no response from the Clinton Campaign, and i have been receiving regular emails from the Obama Campaign, since that time.

Its a small thing, I admit, but I believe it is indicative of which choice I should make, and I have made it.

Hillary, I respect you, but for me now, its Obama 08.

February 11, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  14. CSF

I'm praying for you Hillary...Remember the race is not given to the swift or the strong, its given to who endures to the end.

February 11, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Chris, Jacksonville

It's over, Hillary.

The winner: The American people.

Now if we can just get rid of Huckabee.............

February 11, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. wildog

Hey Patti Solis how does it feel to be thrown under the bus???You should be grateful you were jettisoned today instead of hanging on till the end of perdition with Hill&Bill........

February 11, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. Ellie

jeffd: Suggest you take your nasty comments somewhere else. Not helpful at all.

February 11, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  18. Roland Madore, Fort Collins, CO

You know, Hillary supporters, you need to stop saying Obama supporters hate Hillary. We don't. Face it; both camps of supporters are just adamant about their candidate is all. For me, personally, if Hillary ends up being the nominee, I will vote for her over McCain, who I admire as well as a great American hero. I really do believe, however, Obama has the best chance of uniting this country and taking us forward to a brighter future. I say this as a retired teacher with 35 years of service to our nation's kids, as a parent, and as a grandparent. My greatest concern is for a better future for our kids and grandkids! I want to turn the page for them on the past and the Bush-Clinton dynasties. And by the way, my own mother-in-law* is 89, and she told me she will cast her vote for Obama knowing that should she die soon after, her vote will have made a difference long after she's gone. No hate here at all intended.

*My mother died needlessly at 50 of cervical cancer.

February 11, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. Cameron Davis

No matter how much Hillary protests this does not look good,she should have given this much more thought,every move she makes is carefully noted by the ethnic groups impacted by any significance there may be in her doing this.Cameron

February 11, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. Tom PA

Patti Solis Doyle should have been dumped weeks ago when her incompetence and lack of leadership skills became apparent. G

February 11, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

She has just been replaced by Hillary, and is history! So much for loyalty, or a lack thereof!

February 11, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. Jimmie - NV

In response to Wake-up about the FL and MI delegates not being counted – you have no one to blame for this fiasco other than the Democratic National Committee. This group makes up the rules as they go along, and the rules changes daily. It's pretty much the same as a child playing a game, and if that child is losing, heshe wants to change the rules in the middle of the game. Thus, the losing child changes the rules in the middle of the game so he/she will be able to win. There is absolutely no difference in the way the Democrat National Committee is handling this situation regarding Hillary. The DNC decided not to allow the Democratic candidates to campaign in FL or MI because the states opted to change the date of their primaries. Being that this did not set too well with DNC, the democratic candidates were not allowed to gain delegates.

This decision made by the DNC should be considered a fraud, and they should be held fully accountable for this action. What good did it do for the people of FL and MI, to go to the polls to vote, hoping to gain delegates for the candidate they voted for? Because of the decision made by the DNC, the voices of the democratic voters in FL and MI were not heard.

The DNC made a move that did not benefit the democratic candidates because they did not want to honor the states for changing their primary dates. If Chairman Howard Dean and those serving on his committee had not made the decision to block the candidates from campaigning in FL and MI, this fiasco would have never happened. I am curious, as you are, of what will becomes of the popular votes from the American voters in FL and MI. And, I am curious to know what rules that Chairman Howard Dean and his group plans to add or take away to cover up for their blunder in this election. And, since the FL and MI delegates are not allowed, what does Howard Dean and his group do – they pull another rabbit out of the hat to try to fix this problem – they added the so called Super Delegates – that are none other than the already elected officials of the United States. This is what I call an unfair and bias election!

If voters would investigate and study on their own, they will find many shady deals that the Clintons were involved in and Bill was just behind the fine line of never being indicted. Yes, he is a smooth talker and will talk his way out of anything. I don't trust the Clintons and I am sorry that you are so trusting of them. This is an article titled "1996 United States Campaign Finance Controversy" that I found on the website Wickipedia. This incident took place during Clinton's second term election. Excerpts from the articles reads "Twenty-two people were eventually convicted for fraud or for funneling Asian funds into the United States Election. A number of convictions came against long time Clinton-Gore friends and political appointees." This article tells about how the Republic of China was donating funds to Bill Clinton's campaign. It is against the law and rules of the United States to accept campaign funds from foreign countries. Are you and other Clinton supporters going to tell me that Bill had no idea this was going on?

I would advised voters to please listen to the Clinton Chronicles and study the Whitewater Scandal. It will blow your mind as to how much the Clintons were involved in these scandals. But somehow, they have managed not to get indicted for their wrongdoings. Had it been any common, hard working American that were involved in any one of the scandals, you can bet that person would have been put behind bars and the key would have been thrown away. Money talksand for some, its keeps them out of the slammer!

February 11, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. Hawk

She thought she was a cinch to win the nomination and the presidency; now she may get neither.

L M A O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!