February 10th, 2008

Edwards meeting with Clinton, Obama on endorsement

Sens. Clinton and Obama, and former Sen. Edwards before the CNN Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

(CNN) — CNN has learned that former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards met with Hillary Clinton Thursday in North Carolina, and is meeting with Barack Obama Monday, to discuss a possible primary endorsement.

The Thursday meeting, which took place at Edwards’ home in Chapel Hill, was followed by a Saturday night session during which the former North Carolina senator and several longtime advisers discussed many issues, including which candidate he should endorse.

The Obama campaign is enjoying a weekend of positive news, after winning four contests in Louisiana, Washington, Nebraska, and Maine. An endorsement by Edwards would provide additional momentum going into the next round of primaries.

At a Chapel Hill party yesterday for Edwards supporters, he gave no indication who he might endorse, or whether that endorsement is imminent. Some advisers are encouraging him not to endorse.

The former candidate is weighing a number of considerations before making his choice – including electability, and who will best promote his ideas.

There are policy considerations at play: there is a sense within the Edwards camp that Clinton's policies could be better for working class Americans. But Obama's anti-lobbyist proposals are more aligned with Edwards’ politics.

In response to a CNN report that Elizabeth Edwards may favor Obama over Clinton, sources close to the Edwards family flatly deny that she favors one candidate over the other.

1. Megan

The fact is that Hillary is in the pocket of corporate America. That is not a populace message. Her very campaign is being funded by fat cats. Obama's campaign has literally been funded by the little guys. He is beholden to no big interests. He's only beholden to the American people.

February 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

WHO EDWARD ENDORSES IS IRRELEVANT. THE MAN EXHIBITED TIMID BEHAVIOR TOWARD THE OTHER MALE CONTENDERS AND ONLY MADE CHALLENGING TO HILLARY. IF HE HAD BEEN MORE SUBSTANTIAL IN HIS COMPETITIVENESS HE WOULD HAVE FARED BETTER. HIS ENDORSEMENT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

February 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. Joan Nedlik-Bezek

Obama! No lobbyist! A man who empowers the people. It's a new day. New Politics. God Bless America.
    Hillary step aside. Go back and finish your "no one left behind plan".
    After the last presidential election I was done voting. I lost all hope. This country was doomed. All for one and one for all.
    It's a new day, a refreshing sense of true democracy might actually be retrieved. To think I may actually play a part in bringing this country together. "You mean we the people for the people." Finally! I'm there. I will do my part for change long after he's elected. Just lead me where I need to be Obama.
    A word, I am an independent voter. The Clinton's had their chance. Been there done that. She needs to consider how many others feel this way.

February 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Darrell

Why is Hillary Clinton trying to steal Barack Obama message. Copy cat and flip-flopper for votes. She should be arrested for committing plagiarism.

February 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Robert Turner

Is there any doubt that if he endorses it will be Obama? He does not like Clinton at all. I would be utterly shocked if somehow, someway Edwards endorsed Clinton. I think I would be upset as well. I think all along he knows he is going to endorse Obama put he (or they) want the endorsement to actually mean something and act like there was some consideration for both candidates, which might be a good idea. Obama's ideas fit in with Edwards' ideas, so I do not see why this endorsement is taken so long.

Obama/Edwards 2008!!

February 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. True Democrat

I believe Sen. Edwards will make the right choice for hope and change in America.

February 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. ALWAYS RIGHT (of left) Twin Cities, MN

YES!!!! Edwards I was so sad to see you go!! I know that you and Obama would work well together. Join a winning team!!!

Obama/ Edwards 08 and 12

February 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. Tanner

Edwards will endorse HILLARY!, they have a lot in common and they are true mature politician! We need mature politicians to lead this nation-- HILLARY & EDWARDS!

February 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Jaqueline

Edwards will endorse Hillary.

February 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Bruno

It's going to be ridiculous if Edwards endorses Hillary.

February 10, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. April Cook

Edwards has a better chance of getting the position of Attorney General under an Obama administration which is why I think he will endorse Obama.

February 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. ObamaSupporters

Dear Mr. Edwards,

I think it would be best if you support Obama
    AFter all, your policies are very similar.

February 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Harry, Michigan

I am disappointed that Edwards would so overtly politicize his endorsement. He travelled with Clinton and Obama to almost 20 debates, it seems that if he truly is a straight-talking politician, he could have developed a better idea of who would make a better president. Instead, he seems to seeking some sort of political payback? Edwards has a great message, but his character seems to be a bit lacking.

February 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Rob

It's about time!!!!

Next we need Al Gore to endorse Obama

February 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Laura Thompson

Are we thinking that maybe John Edwards might be interested in the VP job?
    If so I wouldn't endorse anyone. I think he would be a great VP with either Clinton or Obama.

February 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. YWC

There is no way Edwards could endorse Clinton after his "status quo" remarks without losing all credibility forever.

It's just a matter of if/when he endorses Obama. i hope it's soon, and if he'd campaign for Obama in Ohio and Texas, even better.

Wonder if he'd consider being the veep again?

February 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. ben

who cares?

February 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. S.W.A

My sense is that Edwards will either endorse Obama or not endorse anyone at all.

February 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. CHERYL

I WOULD HOPE BASED ON ELECTABILITY AND EXPERIENCE THAT EDWARDS WOULD CHOOSE HILLARY!!!! SHE HAS A RECORD OF HELPING LOW INCOME AND DISADVANTAGED CHILDREN! I BELIEVE THAT HILLARY CLINTON IS THE BEST CANDIDATE BASED ON CORE VALUES AND CHARACTER! SHE HAS NOT WAIVERED THROUGH OUT THIS PROCESS ON HER INTENTIONS! WHERE BORACK HAS! SHE HAS BEEN WORKING HARD IN THE SENATE AND HAS A RECORD TO PROVE IT! SHE WAS THERE FOR ALL THE VOTES! TO ME THIS SAYS THAT SHE IS SINCERE! GO HILLARY YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT REGARDLESS!!!!!

February 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. JM

Honesly I think at this point electability is the most important thing . If Hillary doesn't get elected none of her policies will reflect Edward's policies. HILLARY IS THE ESTABLISHMENT. John Edwards supported getting the special interests out of Washington. How could he choose anyone but Obmama IF the only issue is his policies ?

February 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. GavinMR

I think, and I hope that Senator Edwards, WHO HAS EXPERIENCE AND SOUND JUDGEMENT AND KNOWS THE EXTENT OF PROBLEMS WE HAVE WAITING IN 2009....
    ....Will endorse Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton...

I think Edwards is TOO deep to jump on some popularity parade obama bandwagon....

February 10, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Tom in MA

If he endorses Obama, he'll never get my vote if he runs for president again.

February 10, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Donald

It's my hope that Senator Edwards will endorse Senator Obama. Also, I view Senator Edwards to be Viable candidate for the Vice Presidency with Senator Obama.

February 10, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. virg hofstrnd

I can understand Edwards reasons for meeting with both Barrack and Clinton. However, what bothers me is the goof ups in the Clinton campaign this week.
    If she is having problems with her campaign staff and their handling of her campaign now, how is she going to chose trustworthy and capable people in her cabinet if she is elected?
    This is very disturbing to me!

Virg

February 10, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. GIRL POWER

I hope Edwards endorses Clinton. With the economy the way it's, we cannot afford to put an amateour in the White House.

I can't understand these fanatics that get so worked up by Obaka and yet can't specifically explain what exactly he stands for. Just because we pronounce the word "change" we're not going to actually solve our problems and improve the qualitites of our lives!

February 10, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |