February 12th, 2008

Clinton: Still no congratulations for Obama

Clinton did not acknowledge Obama's winnings or congratulate him on his victories over the past two nights.

EL PASO, Texas (CNN) – For the second election night in a row, Hillary Clinton failed to acknowledge or congratulate Barack Obama after he won the day in dominating fashion.

On Tuesday in El Paso, hours after Virginia had been called for Obama, she stuck to her “Texas campaign kickoff” message and did not stray from an energetic, Lone Star-themed stump speech. She did mention Obama by name, only to chide his health care plan.

On Saturday night in Richmond, Virginia, Clinton spoke to a crowd of thousands at the state’s annual Jefferson-Jackson dinner, but she ignored Obama’s quartet of blowout primary and caucus wins that day as well (Obama also won the Maine caucuses the next day).

The courtesy of conceding a primary or caucus loss - and then congratulating your opponent - is by no means required. But it has become standard practice during campaign season.

Clinton congratulated Obama and John Edwards after their first and second place finishes in the Iowa caucuses. Obama returned the favor in New Hampshire, saying Clinton “did an outstanding job.” That courtesy continued through the early states.

But as the race has shifted to a delegate chase with dozens of states in play around the country, the notion of congratulating one’s opponent seems, for Clinton, to have fallen by the wayside.

- CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jose Card - Independent

Hillary knows she will have to congratulate Obama all the way till the convention if she doesn't concede earlier. I have to give Romney credit for conceding early on for his party.

February 12, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. erica

Cynthia McFadden asked Hillary in a Nightline interview after the NH primary if Obama had called to congratulate her. Hillary was very nice to Obama in the answer and stated "Oh, well, we've all been so busy."

Get your facts straight on who stopped congratulating who first CNN!

February 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  3. Micah

Is this even news? I hate how CNN has become the Barack Obama Network.

February 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  4. Matt

I'd be peeved too, if I were her. She's running out of the only demographics that vote for her: (1) women who vote on gender not issues (2) elderly (3) low income entitlement based voters ( 4 ) low-education level voters. There might be enough of them left to help her out in Ohio and PA, though. What do educated people know, anyway.

February 12, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Tito

That is why we are listening Obama live.....Hillary's is speech in El Paso is out of pace...

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. vj

She has to stay on her message. If she starts to congratulate Obama, she might tear up.

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. girrlgil, sanfrancisco

It is not necessary for Clinton to congratulate Obama.

Obama 08

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. Julia in Eugene, OR

Rachel – Yes, Senator Obama DID INDEED congratulate Senator Clinton on her Super Tuesday wins. If you're going to post a comment, I recommend being informed if you want to be taken seriously.

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  9. Jake, California

Leave Hillary alone....she was hurting!

Poor Hillary, the ship is sinking to bad... I wonder what she's going to do after Ohio and Texas close the doors in front of her!

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. Terri Patanus

I would not vote for Obama regardless. I hope the Replubicans win if Obama's name is on the ticket.

People do not know why they are voting other than he is black.
    I am looking for a hard working person, looks like the Harvard grad has not worked hard enough for me.

Hillary or McCain

February 12, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. VJ Atlanta GA

Yes V in Memphis Enough is enough, Hillary is history now. ... 🙂

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. Heather Peterson

Tacky.

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. Eduardo from DC

She's weak. I'm sure she'll have Bill somewhere talking at a Black church in Houston, then up to Akron as well. Lame.... I just want to know how you lose a delegate lead in one month after being up like a billion points for months

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Aimee Black

Big deal. Get over it. Does he need his hinnie kissed every two minutes? Let Oprah do it.

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. NH

Obama gets enough media coverage, so i am sure is not losing any coverage time by Hillary not congradulating him. So what she didn't congradulate him, are we so anal now that we must watch every single thing that Hillary does and analyze it. Why can't people do the same for Obama, why not disect every little thing he does. All says is a bunch of nothing but hope this change that, he has no substance to him and still people folk to go vote for him. People give me a break!!!

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. peter

Obama didn't bother to congratulate Clinton on Super Tuesday and she congratulated him- Maybe she figures the press will congratulate him and themselves as they owe these wins to some really biased reporting as well

Today in Washington WAMU news director actually apologized for the unbalanced reporting-

I guess that the Columbus Post Dispatch and John Glenn figure that they still want the most competent person for President and I think we will see a new day for Clinton in Texas and Ohio and then we can see if Obama bothers to congratulate her.

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  17. Alex

Rachel,
    actually he congratulated Hillary on Super Tuesday for her wins...

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. Sam Jr.

How about:

"Obama : Still no congratulations for Clinton" after her wins!!!

This whole drama is driven by the media to put Hillary on the defensive.

I hope people are intelligent enough to eventually choose Hillary as she is the only one standing between a republican winning the presidential race.

I think the republicans want Obama to win the primaries so that they can beat him in the presidential elections.

I see no other reason why a republican governor of SC should tell people to vote for Obama!!!!

Come on ppl... stop kidding yourselves and get real.

HILLARY '08!!!

February 12, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  19. George Thomas

It appears to me that by failing to have the courtesy of congratulating Mr. Obama, Hillary is really showing her true colors.

Not surprising to me, though; I already knew she was a ruthless witch who cares only for herself.

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  20. Cph9680

What could you expect? She's nothing but a sore loser.

In Texas on March 4th we'll show that cow what happens to sore losers

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. Mary

they spin everything to look pretty for him. I'm surpised they don't do a adult film where they all make him happy so to speak. trying to be g rated about this comment but you get the picture. Can CNN's nose get any browner?

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  22. Sean

V, the media does this to every candidate. Hillary is just on the losing end now. Obama has captured America's allegiance.

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  23. lars

It's all calculated and measured.
    Except for having to fire her campaign manager.

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  24. Mike

Does it matter? She's losing all over the country.

She's done soon.

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  25. Mark

So I was thinking. Well, actually I was sort of noticing that CNN seems to like Obama more than Hillary. I mean... It is kind of obvious. CNN should just endorse Obama and get it over with because I think it is kind of wrong to go about like CNN is not really going for Obama when they keep posting stuff like this.

February 12, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |