February 12th, 2008

Clinton's deputy campaign manager resigns

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton's deputy campaign manager has resigned, her campaign confirmed Tuesday night as the New York senator faced another round of disappointing primary results.

Mike Henry is the second senior staff-level departure from the Clinton team in the past three days. He was hired by Patti Solis Doyle - Clinton's former campaign manager - whose resignation was revealed Sunday.

"As someone who has managed campaigns, I share the unique understanding of the challenges that the campaign will face over the next several weeks," Henry said in a Tuesday e-mail to Clinton staffers.

"Our campaign needs to move quickly to build a new leadership team, support them and their decisions and make the necessary adjustments to achieve the winning outcome for which we have all worked so hard for over a year now."

Howard Wolfson, spokesman for Clinton's campaign, said that Henry had done "an outstanding job for the campaign and his expertise will be missed."

Henry, who helmed the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee's independent expenditure program two years ago, was the author of an internal memo last year that suggested Clinton should skip Iowa - a proposal that was quickly dismissed when it became public.

A year earlier, he managed the successful campaign of Virginia's Democratic Gov. Tim Kaine, and was a lead advisor to former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner's campaign.

CNN projects that Clinton's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, won Tuesday night's Virginia Democratic primary.

– CNN's Candy Crowley, Suzanne Malveaux and Jessica Yellin contributed
to this report.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Michael

Fact is most Democrats like BOTH Clinton and Obama. There is a clear choice but unfortunately for Hillary people are buying the rhetoric from Obama. Hillary supporters will be saying I told you so come November or January 2009 which ever the case.

February 12, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. ams

I think Hillary should do what is best for the party and for the general and that is—STEP ASIDE. Obama is the right leader, at the right time, in the right place to turn this country back around and dispel 8 horrible years of cynicism, corruption and greed.

February 12, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. DC Resident

In VA, 98% African American voted Obama. And in MD it must be the same. I live in DC, and I know for sure it was 100%. The Potomac region is like a huge black community!

February 12, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. raj

Obama's fate be will worse if he wins DEM nomination . He will be crushed to pieces by the same media and Republicans. Obama doesnt want to recollect 2008 in his life.

February 12, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Devin MA

Here's to Hillary's success in Texas, and the Democratic party legitimizing Florida's votes. Obama's run a highlighter over a bunch of conservatives, who don't want a competent Democrat in the White House.

February 12, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Wise men say it.

Look out for the Texas nudge, and those who love Obama are kidding themselves.
    (Still in denial). But I don't want to be around them when they blow up!
    The fools rush in will stop!!!

February 12, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. bernice

anyone watching McCain right now he sounds like a tired old man!!

February 12, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Heather

Could someone please remind people (namely contributor Lorrie)once again that playing the Moslem card won't work. That is scare tactic Bush politics. Besides, Obama is a Christian and more importantly a uniter and respector of all faiths!!!!!

February 12, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. francis

PREMATURE VICTORY ! – GO GO HILLARY – THE LATINO'S AND ASIAN ARE WITH YOU. – THERE IS NO JUNGLE IN TEXAS UNLIKE IN AFRICA. -

February 12, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  10. Ab

Raj,
    What you said doesnt make any sense. If you look at polls he is leading McCain by 6 points and republicans are hoping that thye get to face clinton instead of him.

February 13, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  11. IND.

I've worked in the Health Field all my life with numerous people in the most dire of circumstances. Even in the worse of those times I've rarely if ever encountered such seemingly grossly unpleasant personalities. AND CHILDISH!!! i.e. "if I can't have it my way I for sure won't vote your way". Exactly the point - we need to work together. We are entitled to different opinions and even heated constructive discussions. All this name calling, lie mongering (or lack of facts) and negativity is exactly what we are trying to change. In fact it sounds much like politics as usual. At last we at least have a candidate is willing to make the effort. He has my full support.

February 13, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  12. Armando

Attention all Democrats ... Everyone!! Hello all you Democrats out there … do I have your attention?

Ok, I think its fairly clear that Obama is the rising star and Hilary is the setting sun. Please Please lets now begin to focus on uniting our efforts to beat down the Republicans who have the National Debt at an all time high and dragged us into this Iraq affair.

Unify Democrats, we've got 10 years to repair the damage.

Lets get to work together immediately.

McCain is a tired old man and he's already begiining to show that. We will crush them in November, but we must unite now. Lets put the weapons from this Primary exercise away and begin the campaign behind Obama.

I didn't think it was likely either, but now i've accepted it and I think the message is clear ... 8 wins to 0 in the last 8 contests and there are Primaries included. If you read the exit polls the message is clear.

Democrats lets units and fight the real problem in this Country.

February 13, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  13. Charles T, VA

You know what? I am sick and tired of hillary supporters say they will vote McCain. Please go ahead and do that. I call your bluff! We Obama supporters have nothing to lose because election results prove we can still pull this off without you guys. And you call yourself democrats? However if we don't , then get these facts.

1) I am not a female and can't get pregnant. If you Hillary girls vote mcCain then I am cool with it especially when McCain cancels Roe vs Wade by appointing conservative judges. Its the girls that get hurt not muah (me). I feel sorry for the youthful girls we have and they will hate you all for your votes. Hope you can look at your daughters in future and say you voted for McCain to revoke Roe vs Wade.

2) Lower taxes for for the rich? Well i am on my way to hitting that bubble and will appreciate McCain giving me more tax break.

3) On the war with Iraq and definately Iran coming under McCain? I am well past the age of qualifying for a draft because I will be 36 before McCain does that. So thank God.

4) As per healthcare? Forget about it cause I will still have it.

5) Education? I may have to delay my plans for a doctorate degree so what.?

You guys talk like you won't be living in the USA too under a president McCain. Get a life and take your empty barrel threats elsewhere.

February 13, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  14. AJ

For once in 8 years Democrats have a chance to take back the white house. And I bet the farm that if Obama is nominated the Republicans will simply crush him to the pieces. He has absolutely no chance of wining the general election unless hell freezes 1000 times over and over and then some.

I sincerely hope for the sake of the country and the world Hillary is nominated for this is our last chance to take the White House back and give it to the people who know what they are doing.

February 13, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  15. Dave

Bro-bama robots sound like children not to mention uneducated.

February 13, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  16. Latino

Fellow americans;

Doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

Don´t fear changing your country and helping change the world.

Obama is not only a leader for America, but a leader for a world in which the mighty United States leads.

((Rap it up))

Obama 08
    you vote o´right
    let US might
    end the world´s plight.

February 13, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  17. v.ananthan

HILLARY SHOULD BRING NEW PEOPLE TO HER CAMPAIGN..............

February 13, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Matt, Austin, Tx

Francis,

Re:

If you are indeed from Texas, you are an affront to all Texans. You should seriously consider anger management therapy.

February 13, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. steve

Lets be reall.I want to ask all Hillary suppoters one question,If they really need change how then is she the change.If not to continue from where Bill stoped which is not change.This is just Bill in the form of a Woman.I think AMERICA need change and not continuation.

February 13, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  20. Georgia for Change

Dave,

Your ignorance and base level intellect is evident by your pitiful attempt to demean Obama supporters. Further evidence of your unevolved and fatuous perspective, is your weak use of cultural prejudices.

Go back to school and pay attention this time around. The entire Obama movement is about the free-thinker, not those who follow the RNC or DNC scripts, or the hateful rhetoric from the "Conservative" talk radio. Open your eyes and allow the wrinkling of your brain to occur. Stop being a pawn for the powerful and become an individual as part of a cooperative, not a collective. In a cooperative there is always a choice. The other only wants slaves and robots. True maturity and intelligence is when one can have an opinion, and still respect the right of others to disagree.

Dave: Are you a free man or are you a slave. Do you think for yourself or is it Rush, Hannity, Beck or Bush? Is this a Democracy, or do we exist in a monarchy where Corporations choose our leaders and make our laws. Have you read the Constitution, or are you merely playing your role as an actor in a play? Do you know yourself? Are you an American? Do you believe in Independence and Freedom - Individual Freedom?

Again, Are you Free?

February 13, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. b harding

Listen up people, I am a latino and an old woman. Over 45. As much as HRC says she is supported by latinos, she has not got all their support. They are breaking out like most of the country. Old people – Clinton, people under 45 – Obama. I can tell you that in California, there were alot of absentee ballots. My mother now wants Obama but she voted absentee long before the primary, before there was much information (not the internet) available about Obama. So she voted on name recognition – Clinton.
    As for experience - I don't care how long you have been in politics, you are either effective or your aren't. Clinton has been ineffective. In my opinion, she has a bad voting record, too many times voting in lockstep with Bush.
    Also, Obama's website has detailed information on where he stands on various issues. He is trying to flesh out his stump speeches more, but when you hold a rally, it is best to not try to get too detailed. People tend to have short attention spans at these things.
    Also, the Clinton campaign people here in Washington State called me 8 times! Everytime I told them I was not voting for Cinton. The sixth caller told me to "go to --"! Real nice lady.

February 13, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |