February 12th, 2008

Clinton's deputy campaign manager resigns

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton's deputy campaign manager has resigned, her campaign confirmed Tuesday night as the New York senator faced another round of disappointing primary results.

Mike Henry is the second senior staff-level departure from the Clinton team in the past three days. He was hired by Patti Solis Doyle - Clinton's former campaign manager - whose resignation was revealed Sunday.

"As someone who has managed campaigns, I share the unique understanding of the challenges that the campaign will face over the next several weeks," Henry said in a Tuesday e-mail to Clinton staffers.

"Our campaign needs to move quickly to build a new leadership team, support them and their decisions and make the necessary adjustments to achieve the winning outcome for which we have all worked so hard for over a year now."

Howard Wolfson, spokesman for Clinton's campaign, said that Henry had done "an outstanding job for the campaign and his expertise will be missed."

Henry, who helmed the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee's independent expenditure program two years ago, was the author of an internal memo last year that suggested Clinton should skip Iowa - a proposal that was quickly dismissed when it became public.

A year earlier, he managed the successful campaign of Virginia's Democratic Gov. Tim Kaine, and was a lead advisor to former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner's campaign.

CNN projects that Clinton's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, won Tuesday night's Virginia Democratic primary.

– CNN's Candy Crowley, Suzanne Malveaux and Jessica Yellin contributed
to this report.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Texas for Obama

As they say in Texas, Hillary has a big hat and no cattle!!! Show me the states Hillary!!!! Obama got em all!

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  2. Larry - Georgia

I feel sad that HRC is not able to even acknowledge what is happening around her. Is it denial or her protection mechanism kicking in?

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  3. Doug

Obama wins Maryland!!!!!

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  4. Dr Rosenrosen

Clinton worries me. I've written to congresspeople all my life, and of all of them, she's the only one who never responded. It's funny, too, because I wrote her a few years ago asking her to work on legislation to lower student loan interest rates. I just saw her stumping for precisely this type of legislation in her speach in El Paso, yet she never responded to my emails, or even did anything while a senator to work in favor of reducing student debt.

Event poorly run congresspeople's offices respond to mail from their constituents–I guess just not Hillary. My guess is she was too preoccupiued with her political ambitions to get any real work done.

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Jim Pallett

What is the Democratic Party going to do about Michigan and Florida? It seems that their delegates could be very important if not critical given the closeness of the race between Obama and Clinton. Also, what is the problem in New Mexico?

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  6. Cheyenne

Fat Lady not sing yet,

February 12, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Could it be that rats are fleeing a sinking ship? It can't be that bad to work with Clinton. Since this person isn't being fired outright, then he must be noting that this isn't going to help his career.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  8. Jay Severin Has a Small Pen1s

Lots of people have left McCain's camp over the last year. So much for your theories.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  9. Edryn J. Coleman

Bottom line is...

Nobody wants to be on a losing team! I am sure that these people were FIRED by Hillary! It was just PC for them to say that they resigned or stepped down. We can call see through the smoke - Hillary ain't that nice. She want's to win and will knock ANYONE out of her way to do it. Chelsea better beware. She will be denounced as a Clinton next week!

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  10. James

YES...............Obama wins Maryland , it's just a mater of learning , by how much.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  11. American in Toronto

As much as I dislike Clinton, and love Obama, I am genuinely starting to feel sorry for the woman.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  12. chris-seattle

what is tonights excuse? activists activists activists?

buh bye.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  13. rachel

I am a Hillary supporter, this is not good. Barrack is probably going to be the nominee, but I dont think in good conscience I can vote for him.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  14. Noah

Keep your eyes on ohio and texas and PA obama people, And don't forget who thought florida and michigan werent worth his time, when the delegate battle over those states start whats obama going to say "No those people don't matter" or are you going to support couting their votes?? cause then hillary wins :) mwahahahahaha learn some strategy obama :)

GO HILL DAWG!

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  15. Dusacre

I understand the sorrows of Hillary's supporters. Four words of consolation: "never underestimate the Clintons"

What is waiting for democrats in November if Hillary is the nominee?

I would like to remind you of the prophetic words of a dead man, late Rev. Jerry Falwell: “I certainly hope that Hillary is the candidate. I hope she's the candidate, because nothing will energize my (constituency) like Hillary Clinton. If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't”

If Hillary Rodham Clinton is the Democrats' presidential nominee in 2008, it will motivate republicans to oppose her more than if the devil himself were running.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Sue

If you obnoxious Obama people think that most of Hillary's supporters would vote for him in the general election, think again. I've voted for a Democrat in every presidential election for over 30 years. If he's the nominee, I will vote for John McCain. Because of the way you have trashed Hillary, I know lots of Hillary supporters who feel the same way.

February 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Annamica, OH

It's amusing how these small wins are such a big deal for the Obama train. Do not forget two powerhouses are yet to vote!

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. John in Columbus

RWM~pretty much exactly what people said Clinton would do to Obama. How 'bout we meet back here after the general election and if McCain beats Obama I will buy you a case of your favorite suds and vise-versa should McCain loose.

Better bring lots of dinero~I have expensive taste ;-)

Obama

'08

yes WE can

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  19. D. moss

CNN IS AN EXCELLANT NEWS NETWORK. DURING THE PAST SEVERAL WEEKS IT HAS BECOME VERY EVIDENT THAT SOME OF YOUR NEWS PERSONNEL SUCH AS JACK CAFFERY AND WOLF BLITZER IS BIAS TOWARD SEN.OBAMA. THEY SHOULD JUST REPORT THE NEWS EQUALLY AND NOT OFFER THEIR PERSONAL OPINON . YOUR OPINON CAN INFLUENCE THE VOTE OF YOUR LISTENCERS. THANK YOU, D.MOSS

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  20. PATRICIA WARD

TO ALL,
    JUST LIKE WHEN THE BUSH CABINET START RESIGNING, SO IS THE CLINTONS. I JUST THINK THE AMERICAN PEOPLE IS SEEING RIGHT THROUGH HER. HOW SHE TALKS DOWN TO PEOPLE AND OBAMA. TRYING TO MAKE HIM LOOK SMALL.,BUT GOD HAS A WAY OF MAKING THINGS HAPPEN. I CANNOT GET OVER ON HOW SHE THINKS THAT SHE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN BE PRESIDENT AND COULD RUN THIS COUNTRY. WHAT A MESS. WHY IS SHE KEEP REFFERING BACK TO THE 90'S AND HER HUSBAND. THIS IS A NEW DAY AND A LOT PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE ON FROM THE PAST THIS IS ABOUT THE FUTURE. WHY DOESN'T SHE APOLOGIZE FOR HER VOTE TO HELP BUSH TAKE THIS COUNTRY TO WAR WITH IRAQ. SHE NEEDS TO STOP DODGING THIS QUESTION AND APOLOGIZE TO THE FAMILIES WHO LIVES WERE AFFECTED BY THIS TRAMA. AFTER ALL, SHE DIDN'T EVEN READ THE NIE REPORT BEFORE SHE CAST HER VOTE. I THINK SHE NEED TO SAY SHES SORRY TO ALL OF THOSE KIDS 18-25 YEARS OLD WHO LOST THERE LIVES AND MANY THAT WERE WOUNDED. THIS IS A MESS 35 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE A DIDN'T READ THE NIE REPORT. YES SHE OWES AMERICA AN APOLOGY AND THE REST OF THE SENATE AND CONGRESS. I KNOW I DON'T WANT SOMEONE LIKE HER TO BE PRESIDENT.
    PEACE
    PATRICIA

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. Liam

RWM February 12, 2008 9:17 pm ET

God you people are so negative…its not over till its over.

Obama doesnt stand a chance in the general; McCain will crush him.

.............................................

Well now, that second comment of yours was a fine example of you not being negative. No wonder Hillary is losing if all she is attracting is morons of your ilk!

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  22. madeleine

It's not over and Obama still needs lots of support.
    What he has done so far is incredible considering what he is fighting against.
    Let's make it possible for him, for us. Let's keep contributing financially so he can make it to the top.
    Go Obama!

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. Walt - NJ

Life long Rebulican but Barack has my vote. Cannot have war monger McCain or teary eye hillary. I know its not her fault, but what would USA do if our President cried once a month... on camera that is because I'm sure Bill had to do some crying for her not to leave his butt.

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  24. Chris in Va.

Maybe we'll finally be rid of the Clintons! You can fool some of the people...........

February 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. leticia

Obama is lucky to have Opraph's money backing his campaign. All you need is the most money to win the presidency in our country.

February 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |