February 12th, 2008

Exit polls: Obama stealing Clinton's base

According to Virginia exit polls, Obama won almost 60 percent of the female Democratic vote.

(CNN) - Barack Obama did well with Democrats across both race and gender lines Tuesday night, and seems to be eating away at Hillary Clinton's backbone of support: women.

According to exit polls out of both Virginia and Maryland, in both states Obama won roughly 60 percent of the female vote - a demographic that has carried Clinton to success in past primaries.

Clinton fared even worse among men – more than two-thirds in both states chose Obama.

Meanwhile, the Illinois senator scored his highest percentage of African-American support to date - winning close to 90 percent of that voting bloc in each state. And the two evenly split the white vote in Virginia, while Clinton slightly beat Obama among the white vote in Maryland. In most past primaries, Clinton has held an edge among white voters.

Obama even beat Clinton among Latino voters, a group that has heavily favored Clinton in most past primaries. In Virginia and Maryland, Latinos went for Obama over Clinton by 6 points, though their support was not decisive in either contest – only 5 percent of Democratic primary voters in Virginia, and 4 percent in Maryland, were Latino.

The only demographic Clinton won was white women, who broke for her over Obama by 10 points in Virginia and 13 points in Maryland. But that margin is significantly smaller than the national average on Super Tuesday. She beat Obama among white women by 25 points then, according to national exit polls.

(Updated at 10:15 with Maryland exit poll results)

For more on the Virginia exit polls, click here

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. j-man

Ya, Hugo Chavez was also supposed to save his country. And the whackjob from Iran was supposed to be the savior of his country.

The Obama crowd is a bunch of "sheeple" that will be sorely disapointed. That is of course, you like paying higher taxes.

I suppose you people think it is fair for subprime bailouts, mortgage bailouts, stealing money from people who make more than you do....I suppose you think that illegals have a right to be here. No wonder why your jobs are being shipped overseas... Complacency is a job killer.

February 12, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  2. wooha3

Barack Obama has integrity and 25 yrs of experience, and that's why he is winning. Clinton has self destructed with all her claims of entitlement and her false allegations and smear attempts.

February 12, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  3. Craig

Uh ... "stealing Clinton's base"?
    How about "earning", "wooing", "converting", or "winning" – I'm sure there are other and better choices than 'stealing'. C'mon CNN, word choice matters – embarrasing.

February 12, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. SOME BODY WHO CARES

ON ELECTION DAY THE WEATHER WILL TURN OUT THE VOTES OF THE NEXT PRESIDENT! THERE JUST HAVING FUN NOW.

February 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. rick

Let's all grow up and stop writting crap, as Democrats we have two great candidates. And who ever wins we have to pull together or we will never win the race to the white house. Let's face we can not do it if we are divided. I am proud to be a democrat and have a samert women and great man as the last two candidates. Can I get an Amen!!

February 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. irv

too young, no experience........did I mention experience. We need Hillary..who has the experience......and ready to go once sworn in..............GO HILLARY!!!

February 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I just love how all the political pundits are trying to make this a "soap opera."

Karl Rove. . .imagine Karl Rove being a pundit. This is a disgrace to the viewers.

Then Pat Buchanen. . .throwing his two cents worth in. I can't understand what he is trying to say because he changes his mind every day.

Finally, all three major cable companies are now showing Hillary in Texas after she lost three more campaigns. Unimaginable!!

You pundits. . .just report the news and let us intelligent voters hear what is happening. . . that Senator Barack Obama is moving ahead to victory. Do you think Wisconsin, Texas and other large block states are being moved because of anything you say?

Most voters don't care what the "pundits" who change their view each hour have to say. We are voting from our hearts. . .and for many and for me. . .my heart is with Senator Barack Obama.

Writing all this, I realize my future posts will be "Under moderation." I'll take that risk and post under MSNBC.

Obama 08!!!!!

February 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  8. trisha2

Looks like I'm adding my Hillary pin to my collection of failed nominees - including Dean's and, in frustration after Kerry's nomination, a Nader pin, as well.

I can't support Obama. And deep down, I don't want to support McCain. This is the first general election that I can vote in, and quite frankly, I don't want to.

February 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. Anna

Heres' a white middle aged woman in NY for Obama. Yeah!!!

February 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  10. Obama Supporter

Felipe-
    You will eat your words...
    You think Hillary is sincere??? I think we know who the idiot is...

February 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. joan

Hillary can do this, Obama is all talk one completed year in the senate.
    Senator Clinton gives specifics she has substance she wants us to hold her accountable. Am I concerned about where we are at in the Clinton Campaign of course I am. But I have not given up either will Hillary not now not ever.

February 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. John in Columbus

...and one last thing before I go back to watching the results come in. I see many of you here basically saying "why won't Obama debate Hillary?'" followed by comments like "she would own him".

Well, got news for ya' doubters~he HAS debated her and so far I think the OWNERSHIP of this race is clearly his. Sure, he pauses between answers and is not quite as silver tongued on his feet as Senator Clinton (practiced answers?) but if we all voted based on this George ummm, ummm, George uh uh Duh-duh-duh Double U Buh-buh-buh Bush would never have won in 2000.

February 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  13. Ray - NJ

Change is coming alright.. I'm going to vote for a Republican for the first time id Obama is the nomination.

February 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  14. Stevo

To Dan W.:

bush talked about doing all those things, while doing the exact opposite.

There is a difference.

February 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. Daniel P.

Many people say that Obama represents "change". What kind of "change", they don't say. Can someone explain what he is going to change ? Remember, the President does not write the laws, nor can he raise taxes or spend money, the Congress, i.e. Democratic and Republican politicians do. So what exactly is going to "change". ?

February 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. Jake, California

Look, I was listening to Hillary's speech in EL Paso, TX right after the result of Virginia One of the first things she started with was to insult President Bush in Texas...Hillary is not smart! At her own rally, the crowd responded negatively when she did that...

You can't insult Bush in Texas?

She's going to lose..this thing no doubt....Once she loses Ohio and Texas, this whole Clinton thing will be over...

There is nothing stronger than 'the voices of millions calling for change'

February 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. JOHN

YOU SEE HOW NASTY SHE IS. SHE DIDN'T CONGRAD. OBAMA ON HIS VICTORYS. O.M.G.

February 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. First Generation American

I will not vote for a first generation American to be commander in chief, I might vote Obama's children but not him because to me he is still not 100% American.

February 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. Kevin Mccabe

Im hearing so much about race in this election. I remember, when I was much younger, Martin luther King, in a beautiful speech told us....That the day will come, when a man is not judged by the color of his skin.....but the content of his character.....A white male in Tampa, florida voting for our best hope, Obama

February 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  20. Mike

HEY CNN!!!!
    STOP REPORTING THE SUPER DELEGATE PLEDGED VOTES!!

HILARY IS NOT GOING TO WIN THOSE EITHER.

February 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  21. Jon in WA

I'm glad to see moderating forces becoming active in government again and backed up by the individual citizen. The 61 – 19 vote for Obama in my racially and economically diverse precinct certainly seems to be a microcausm of what is happening nationaly.

My concern with Clinton is that, even if she were to be elected, it would lead to the continued divisive and damaging political wrangling that has inflicted this country since the Republican revolution in 1994. It may not really even be her fault, but it would be what she represents to a large portion of the country. I want to move on from that era. I want Barack Obama.

February 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Yes We can! the days where big corp's dictate how the country's economy should be run will soon be over in the name of lobbyingwill soon be over.. bush has messed up royally and the sad thing is that he's going to be laughing all the way to the bank when his tenure is over.. good thing is that he's going to go down as one of the worst or lets say the worst president this country has ever had. the lobbyist's have not funded obama's campagn and they will not run his white house. quote. that is what we need.. a situation which will allow decitions to be made for the benifit of the general population, instead of of the big sharks i.e. the big corp's. this is the past vrs the future. I'm marching into the future with Obama! which direction r U going???? I'm not voting for him because he's black. I'm voting for him because he's brilliant. and thats what this country needs.. Obama 08!!! Yes We Can!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. J n K

Anyone else sick of Hillary getting ALL of the air time?

February 12, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  24. NO WAY

if the two choices for presidency comes down to bama rama and cain pain, this nation is in for a world of trouble even worse then the bush era! neither of the two know crap about running a nation yet know bringing one together for a better life! better pray continuously 24/7 if either one of these fools are elected as chief!

February 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  25. Just a thought

Those traitors. Don't they know they're supposed to vote for a woman just because she's a woman? Here come the NOW-NY rants.

February 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |