February 12th, 2008

Exit polls: Obama stealing Clinton's base

According to Virginia exit polls, Obama won almost 60 percent of the female Democratic vote.

(CNN) - Barack Obama did well with Democrats across both race and gender lines Tuesday night, and seems to be eating away at Hillary Clinton's backbone of support: women.

According to exit polls out of both Virginia and Maryland, in both states Obama won roughly 60 percent of the female vote - a demographic that has carried Clinton to success in past primaries.

Clinton fared even worse among men – more than two-thirds in both states chose Obama.

Meanwhile, the Illinois senator scored his highest percentage of African-American support to date - winning close to 90 percent of that voting bloc in each state. And the two evenly split the white vote in Virginia, while Clinton slightly beat Obama among the white vote in Maryland. In most past primaries, Clinton has held an edge among white voters.

Obama even beat Clinton among Latino voters, a group that has heavily favored Clinton in most past primaries. In Virginia and Maryland, Latinos went for Obama over Clinton by 6 points, though their support was not decisive in either contest – only 5 percent of Democratic primary voters in Virginia, and 4 percent in Maryland, were Latino.

The only demographic Clinton won was white women, who broke for her over Obama by 10 points in Virginia and 13 points in Maryland. But that margin is significantly smaller than the national average on Super Tuesday. She beat Obama among white women by 25 points then, according to national exit polls.

(Updated at 10:15 with Maryland exit poll results)

For more on the Virginia exit polls, click here

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Pattie

Julie,

You are so right. And that's exactly what is needed to win in November, so you made a point against a Clinton nomination.

February 12, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  2. Russ C, Seattle, Wa

Well Melissa you could say that on both sides of the sitiation now couldn't you?

February 12, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. Smokey

GOBAMA! hILLary must be ILL! Step aside little Mama fo the man named OBAMA!

February 12, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  4. Keith

If this keeps up, I am definitely crossing lines and voting for McCain in November. I think we've had enough "uniters not dividers" for the time being.

February 12, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  5. Just a thought

Senator Clinton could be a POWERFUL Majority Leader in the Senate. Her command of the details of policies and her purported ability to sway people in one-on-one sessions would make her a VERY effective Majority Leader. Clinton + Pelosi = the POWER crew.

February 12, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  6. rick

The media is pro Obama. Hillary never had a chance, all you hear is negative comments about Hillary and CNN is not being fair. I saw T-shirts that said CNN=Obama. I will vote for Ron Paul before I vote for Obama.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  7. straighttalker

how can Hillary "unify" the nation if so many states and voters who are democratic, let alone repubilican, are against her! she won 11 states vs. 23 for obama now...i think she should concede...

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  8. Jim

Not to rain on the victory parade, but it ain't over yet.

Pennsylvania, Ohio and Texas are huge in terms of delegate count. And anybody who thinks the Hilster will give up her grasp at power just because of a few losses clearly has no idea of the nature of the woman.

I want to believe Obama 's momentum will carry us over that hump (the primaries, I mean. I wasn't impugning Her Imperial Majesty, for all you rabid Clinton fans), but anything can still happen.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  9. Big G

Freight train...

Choo choo!!

It's all over but the crying – literally.

Obama '08 – get on the train.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. Dan W

Bush gave the same speech about bring hope and unity to our country. Take a good look at where Bush has brought us – his obesession in the middle east, budget deficit spending and a diveided country... Haven't learned your lessons yet?? Electing Obama based on his empty promises and hypes, I need to pray we are not going to repeat the Bush years again.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. Jonathan Underwood, Las Vegas, Nevada

Julie, Thanks for acknowledging that Obama would have a better chance of winning in November due to his extensive Independent support. It is time for us to unite behind the candidate that is bringing America together. We can win big in November if we choose Obama. Time to rally behind him, folks.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  12. Kreg Hunter

Obama should be the Democratic nominee-I think he stands the best chance of defeating McCain in the fall. Also, after two terms of a very unpopular President, Obama would be a fresh breath of air. It would be good for America, and our standing in the world, to show a face of color in leadership. America needs a clean start, not a return to the old Clinton-style politics! Thank you, Kreg Hunter

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. California Independent

Chevy:

Tell that to Huckabee! He is not bowing out. I kind of like the guy.

February 12, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. STAN

I see Obama slogan is slowing catching on even with Hillary die-hard supporter 'hoping people will change' toward Hillary

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Ryan, Los Angeles

My dad voted for only one Republican during his lifetime – John F. Kennedy.

I'm a Republican and couldn't vote for Obama in the primary, but if he's nominated, I will vote for my first Democrat.

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. Karolyn

Hey, Romney saw the writing on the wall and stepped aside... Clinton needs to do the same thing so the dem's can get united and start working ont he general election. If she really loved the country and the party, she would see that....

She should be happy to know that people do love her, but she can not just rely on the big states, it would be an example of her divisiveness... Obama is accepted all over the country, a unifier... she needs to accept that gracefully. She'd earn me respect that way.

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  17. Tony

We welcome the Clinton supporters with open arms.

Obama 08'

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  18. jer

Virginia is next to D.C. and they lived the Clinton's every day with all the troubles they had in the 90's. Obama has shown he can win in every part of the country. It'a Clinton fatigue and we have a choice who can win. Obama

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  19. Bill

Hillary is finally being exposed to voters to what she really is and no one likes her... I was on the fence but after listening to both it's clear Obama is a much better candidate, polls show he is faring much better against McCain, and all of the republican friends I know (which is many due to the state I live in) say they want Hillary to win because she'd be much, much easier to beat than Obama, and I believe that to be true.

February 12, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  20. Randy in TX

I am Hispanic, with an African American Father, and a Latino Mother, and we're all proud to live in Clinton Country, here in the Great State of Texas.

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  21. Come to Dallas

To Julie in Binghamton. Why are you crying about how Obama is doing better because of the Indy and Republican vote? THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! He's UNIFYING people to vote for his cause, a cause that affects ALL OF US. Who cares where the vote comes from? That's just a good sign that what he stands for makes sense to EVERYBODY, not just the White Democratic Southern vote... Oh and by the way, that vote you talk about mostly came from the 60+ bloc. I imagine that the racist values they grew up with are still firmly planted in their minds anyway.

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  22. Franky

I've never been so proud...............don't worry Hillary you got a plan, right? Just do your thang girl, do your thang!

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  23. Becky Norton

Let me preface this by saying that although I am 56 year-old white female, I am, more importantly, an ultra-liberal die hard. I would have voted for Edwards had he gotten the nomination because of his stand on fighting poverty.

And now, my comment.

I got a great idea for a political cartoon while listening to the Virginia results tonight.

"I have a dream... that I will become President!"

That would have more substance than anything Obama has said to date.

At this point, I can see myself voting for McCain before Obama, because I at least know where McCain stands!

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  24. Janice Kennie

The People Have Spoken

Listen close...don't miss it...history is being made...if you listen close you can hear the chanting...Obama...Yes we can...enough said :)

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  25. francis

i think both candidates are doing a very tremendous job in their campaigns but it seems as if clinton was too over comfindent after winning in carlifonia and so she was layed back in her campaigns which is creeping up on her now causing her to fire her campaign manager, making obama's momentum quite unstopable at this point in time after being victorious in the recent polls

February 12, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |