February 12th, 2008

Exit Polls: Independent voters break for Obama and against McCain

According to exit polls, Virginia Democratic primary voters who did not identify themselves as Democrats were more likely to vote for Obama.

Virginia Democratic primary voters who did not identify themselves as Democrats were more likely to back Barack Obama, according to exit polls.

One out of every five Democratic primary voters were independent - and those voters chose Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, 67 to 32 percent. Seven percent of the voters in that contest were Republican voters who decided not to vote in their own party’s primary – they chose Obama by an even larger margin, 71 to 25 percent over Clinton. Self-identified Democrats also chose Obama, 59 to 20 percent.

Roughly one out of every five voters in the GOP primary were independent as well – but those voters did not vote for the party’s likely nominee, John McCain, who had been expected to benefit from their support. Instead, independent voters backed Mike Huckabee over McCain, 43 to 34 percent, with Ron Paul pulling in 19 percent. Republicans also broke for Huckabee, but by a much narrower margin, 47 to 45 percent. Virtually no Democrats participated in the Republican contest.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Exit Polls • Virginia
  1. Liam

The man is a winner, so stop letting all those sour grapes eat away at your insides.

John McCain wants to stay in Iraq for another hundred years. I bet that goes down good with the Arab people of the middle east. We told them we were only invading Iraq to free it, and then McCain says that if he is President he will treated Iraq like a permanent American Colony.

Gee, that will get the people of the middle east to fall in love with us.

February 12, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  2. dsw

This is a beautiful day for the US of A!

Obama 08!

All those still on the Clinton Express, time to get behind the man who is going to be our Nominee and unite. If Hillary can have some grace she might still have a chance 8 years from now.

February 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Obama '08

Go Obama!

February 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Elizabeth; Dallas, TX

I live in the South side of Dallas County which is very diverse with almost equal amount of whites and blacks and hispanics. It's a great place to live. I think Obama will do well in Dallas. To be honest, I am offended that Hillary wants to come to Texas and pander for Hispanic votes and use them just to win. I don't remember anyone ever liking the Clintons in my neighborhood and I've met more Obama supporters in Texas. I think it will be very competitive, but we're not as dumb as current president that grew up here, Hillary, so don't think it will be easy.

February 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. I'm A Michigan Discounted

Wake up Dems. The Republican party is trying to edge out the election. Blog it and find out how many are turning out to vote for Obama just so they can defeat him in November. You can't tell me any Republican who has always been a Republican is going to turn around in the primary and vote for the most liberal Democrat running. There party already has their front runner in Mack and they don't need to vote for him anymore, he already is a shoe in.

According to CNN, 44% of those voting for Obama were Republicans.
    41% of those voting for Obama earn $100K a year or more (was that all those Republicans?). Check it out.

To all the real Obama voters, I am sorry this is happening to your candidate. Republicans would never do this unless it was to their benefit. They are planning on smearing him in November.

To all those in Ohio and Texas, it is up to you to stop the Republicans. It is point of contention that Republicans will pick our nominee, when my democratic vote here in Michigan will be ignored.

February 12, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Kathy

I guess I'm a novice at this, but why are Independents not allowed to vote in a Primary?

February 12, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

The only thing independent about McCain is his control of his temper, he doesnt have control, its independent of him.

This guy is as right wing as Bush.

Has he offered any ideas about improving education, healthcare, economy, WAR?

No he hasn't, he will keep this country on the path as Bush, and if by some strange miracle he wins the presidency, his approval rating will be in the 30's within a couple of months.

Same old, same old.

February 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. Jeff

Hillary needs to win the White house in Nov. we do not need a black man we need some that as been there she will work for all people

February 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  9. Kaybee

I keep see people question what change Obama offers. It seems clear, I have reviewed the issue on his web site and other non-party tools. I think I can clearly see his position on key areas, the economy, healthcare, Iraq and Iran.

But isn't i true that 20 Years of a Bush or Clinton White House is enough, or the issue that a Fail Political First Lady, who would return a impeached president to Lincolns bedroom, That's change!

February 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  10. Jonathan

If McCain lost the independents and the republicans and dems didn't have a say, how did he win the majority?????

February 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  11. Phil (in Canada)

Obama is beyond divisive politics – I strongly believe he is about unity between whites, blacks, women, men, Americans and non-Americans. I loved what he was about ever since I first heard. I rejoice that the American people, whose choices affect the world, are into a reasoned peaceful political revolution with Obama. Billary Clinton should step aside and let the true leader of the times lead us into a better future.

February 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Jeff

Obama does not care about us White people we need HILLARY CLINTON in 2008
    and for those people on the OBAMA band wagon you need to get off of in

Think Smart Vote HILLARY CLINTON Thank you, ALL

February 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. ANTI CLINTONS

dsw, I disagree with you, we don't want to deal with those idiot Clinton's anymore! they need to fade away like a bad dream. Yes it is over for the fat bottom firls, Hitlery and Bilary.

Obama is the man, not Clinton.

Obama!

February 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. Obama = Substance + Style + Momentum

I don't understand how people could be so blind as to ignore the obvious and distort the facts about this man, Obama. He came from such humble background that he relates so well to anyone on the planet! He is as black as he is white, wise as he is intelligent, spiritual as he is skeptical, charming as he is commanding. He is a leader as he is a follower of the will of the people. If there was ever a politician that I could say "is the quintessential man of the people", it would be Sen. Obama. Few religious zealots so fear his positivity to the extent they toss around the possibility that he may even be the anti-christ! The best way to learn about Barack is to read his books, "Audacity of Hope" and "Dreams from my father" – both of which were written years before he announced his candidacy. An incredible glimps into the heart and mind of a man who is on an altruistic quest for world peace.

February 12, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  15. Bill from Beltway Land

Somebody over there needs to get their facts straight about Virginia, where I live and where I voted this morning. NOBODY registers by party here, so I am really not sure what you thought you were measuring. We are ALL independent voters!

February 12, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. HWilliams

I have to wonder what happens in November is Obama is the Democratic choice. I can see these same southern states and those midwestern states beating him bad.
    I am a Democrat from Penna. who will be voting on April 22, 2008, and my vote will be for Clinton.
    We are just ending a Presidential term who has been "on the job Trained" and flunked with flying colors.
    Obama as president will contiune the "on the job" mentality we have seen .

If Clinton is not the Democratic choice, or if she would win the primary and select Obama as a V.P. I will be voting for McCain as will my larger than some families be also voting for MAC

Obama just might be suitable in the next cycle but not now

February 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  17. HWilliams

From the fry pan (Bush) into the fire (Obama)

Wake up vote Clinton 2008

February 12, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Ed K.

I think the republicans are voting for Obama so they want have to face Hillary in the Fall. The rich / republicans and the media are working things out. Looks like we may be looking at 4 more years of republican blood sucking.

February 13, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  19. MsInMinneapolis

I am frustrated by the number of people making claims that Obama lacks experience.

If anything, his time teaching Constitutional law and organizing people in Chicago is better experience than being a political figure for the better half of one's life. The primary job of the president is to uphold and enforce the Constitution. Wouldn't a Con law professor have plenty of experience to prepare him for that?

For those who say this is a Republican ploy, my in-laws and grandmother (all life long Republicans) are supporting Obama now and in the general election and would never go near Hillary.

To attempt to seat delegates in states where only one name appeared is a far greater dismissal of democracy than having to pay the penalty that was declared at the outset. This type of politicking must stop.

Go Obama!

February 13, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. american

Hillary is what we need, even thow the news is waging propaganda against her. Obama will vote present when something needs done just as before. I will vote republican before I will vote for him. He has to read his notes to answer questions in a debate. Hillary knows her stuff.

February 13, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |